Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:49:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 374
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can HIV+ donate organs if UD?  (Read 8775 times)

Offline Boze

Can HIV+ donate organs if UD?
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:49 am »
Saw this news story http://www2.counton2.com/cbd/news/national/article/florida_woman_receives_transplanted_kidney_infected_with_hiv/139985/

and I wonder - is it possible to donate a kidney if you are HIV+ but UD? In this story the donor did not realize he was HIV+ so clearly he was not on ARV. I guess the issue is whether

1) blood is also moved during operation
2) hiv can hide inside the donated organ
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Can HIV+ donate organs if UD?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:57:35 am »
No. HIV positive people are not permitted to donate organs for transplant.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:44:56 am »
Whoa, that shouldn't be happening in this day and age. I predict a huge payout from the doctors and lab involved. Sheesh.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boze

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 09:58:30 am »
mtd,

It's the policy, but what is the motivation behind it? I'm wondering what the actual RISK is if one is UD.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 10:04:36 am »
mtd,

It's the policy, but what is the motivation behind it? I'm wondering what the actual RISK is if one is UD.

Even if you are UD the virus is still present in your body.  UD means it's under a certan threshold in your blood.  No matter how low you get the virus in your body it will always be present as a result if you ever give blood product or organs to someone who is uninfected you will infect them.

I'm a little surprised you didn't know this.

Offline Boze

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:15:01 am »
"No matter how low you get the virus in your body it will always be present as a result if you ever give blood product or organs to someone who is uninfected you will infect them."

I thought the virus is 'hiding' in certain body parts (like lymph nodes and bone marrow?) when you are UD. Is it present in a kidney or the eye?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:24:45 am »
"No matter how low you get the virus in your body it will always be present as a result if you ever give blood product or organs to someone who is uninfected you will infect them."

I thought the virus is 'hiding' in certain body parts (like lymph nodes and bone marrow?) when you are UD. Is it present in a kidney or the eye?

The answer is we're not exactly sure.  However your blood is harboring the virus and your blood flows to every inch of your body.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:47:02 am »

It will be in the blood and lymph vessels present in any organ of the body. Lymph nodes are just one part of the lymphatic system. Just because a person is undetectable on a VL test doesn't mean the virus is absent from the blood or body.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 11:49:20 am »
For those that are positive and want to donate.

National Disease Research Interchange
http://www.ndriresource.org/NDRI_Initiatives/HIV/35/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 11:55:32 am »
Actually, I've kinda wondered why organs can't be donated from one poz person to another poz person, provided the donor doesn't have any resistance issues. You could even match clades. Donors have to be checked on many accounts for compatibility, this would just mean a few more things that would have to match.

With the waiting lists for organs being what they are, and with more and more PLWH are being accepted as potential organ recipients, I would think this would be an option to increase the chance of PLWH to receive an organ.

For those that are positive and want to donate.

National Disease Research Interchange
http://www.ndriresource.org/NDRI_Initiatives/HIV/35/

This isn't organ donation in the sense of giving someone a kidney, it's purely for research. Just wanted to point that out.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 12:05:48 pm »
Actually, I've kinda wondered why organs can't be donated from one poz person to another poz person, provided the donor doesn't have any resistance issues. You could even match clades. Donors have to be checked on many accounts for compatibility, this would just mean a few more things that would have to match.

With the waiting lists for organs being what they are, and with more and more PLWH are being accepted as potential organ recipients, I would think this would be an option to increase the chance of PLWH to receive an organ.

This isn't organ donation in the sense of giving someone a kidney, it's purely for research. Just wanted to point that out.
No, it's for people that would like to donate but are unable to because of being HIV positive and would like to help further research.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »

No, it's for people that would like to donate but are unable to because of being HIV positive and would like to help further research.

Well, that's kinda what I just said. I pointed out it was donation for research, not donation to give someone a new liver or kidney or other organ.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »
Well, that's kinda what I just said. I pointed out it was donation for research, not donation to give someone a new liver or kidney or other organ.
You can donate organs if you are HIV positive to other HIV positive in Ill..
http://www.illinois.gov/pressreleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=3&RecNum=3216

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:36:51 pm »
This question intrigues me. Especially when looking at the matter from another angle--HIV positive pregnant women who deliver HIV negative babies.  I know that there are medical interventions that can greatly reduce HIV transmission from an HIV positive pregnant woman to her child up to birth. Although one would not consider an unborn child  an organ, isn't  s/he part of the mother's body and all that entails?

Am I mixing apples and oranges?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:39:56 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 07:22:03 pm »
This question intrigues me. Especially when looking at the matter from another angle--HIV positive pregnant women who deliver HIV negative babies.  I know that there are medical interventions that can greatly reduce HIV transmission from an HIV positive pregnant woman to her child up to birth. Although one would not consider an unborn child  an organ, isn't  s/he part of the mother's body and all that entails?

Am I mixing apples and oranges?

I was actually unaware that hiv+ mothers could give birth to hiv- babies until I started reading these forums.  I have no idea what the mechanism is that protects the baby.  Trying to look for the answer online briefly gave me no answers.

Ann I too wondered what prevented pozzie to pozzie organ donation.  It makes the question of reinfection a lot more relevant too.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:52:55 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.