Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:34:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 660
Total: 662

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An ode to health and ignorance  (Read 3270 times)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
An ode to health and ignorance
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:41:12 pm »
Here is an interesting article on another chronic disease and what they face
English > Radio Programmes > Vox Humana
An ode to health and ignorance
by Chris Chambers
22-09-2006
Click one of the icons to listen to the story onVox Humana
What is it like to have a chronic illness? To have a disease which is very difficult to treat and to diagnose and which isn't even recognised in many quarters of the medical profession? Welcome to the world of Chronic Lyme Disease. A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
"You feel as if you're in another compartment. You feel different. It's a very odd feeling. You feel as though you're not quite in the human race sometimes."

Elizabeth Rice. Chronic Lyme Disease sufferer
Lyme Disease is caused by the bite of a simple tick, injecting into the bloodstream the bacterium Borrelia and probably numerous other parasites. The incidence of those contracting the disease has been increasing dramatically in recent years and it's known that swift treatment with antibiotics is enough to stop it in its tracks.
What is causing the medical controversy is the course the disease takes if treatment is not so quick. Many say that heavy treatment at any stage is enough to kill the bacteria and that subsequent blood tests prove them right. The reality is far less clear cut.
"You almost go into a deep despair sometimes and I honestly thought to myself that I can't go on anymore. Some of the symptoms are so horrendous you can't explain it to people who haven't suffered this illness. They don't understand you. You look fine, they say. In fact, you feel dreadful. Your head is bursting. You can't think straight. Your bones and muscles are aching; you've got pins and needles and numbness. It's just horrendous. It really is."

Cecylia Malenchek
Cecylia Melanchek has had the disease for 13 years and as with many sufferers of the chronic condition she was not immediately diagnosed. It has led to many years of pain and mental anguish. Her experience with doctors hasn't helped. Her GP told her it was all in her head, offered no treatment and asked her how she got on with her parents. The experience seems to be a common one.
"I was offered anti-depressants and that was just the end for me. I said there's no way I'm taking them until someone tells me for definite, someone that knows about the disease, that I haven't got it. Then I'll take the anti-depressants but not until then."

Ann Maher

The problem with the disease is that it's a relatively new parasite on the scene. The bacterium that causes it was only discovered 30 years ago and so there's still a great deal to be revealed about how it works and how effective treatment is. What is known is that it's a very tough and resistant bacterium and that it's recently been classified as a potential bio-terror agent by the US government because of its incredible abilities to escape our attempts to kill it.
Dr Andrew Wright is an authority on Lyme Disease and he says that the high wall that patients are facing is a phenomenon that goes back many years.
"That's the history of medicine. You look back at the illnesses called psychological, tuberculosis, epilepsy, schizophrenia, all thought to be psychological until the cause was found and I'm sure that in the not too distant future the same will be seen in illnesses like chronic Lyme. Once we understand things they become respectable but in medicine we do this, we have this defence mechanism whereby, if we can't explain something one way of dealing with it is to make the patient the problem. It's their problem then and not ours. And that gives us an easy way out."

This is a view shared by one of the world's leading authorities on Lyme Disease Professor Sam Donta, who's treated thousands of cases from his base in the North-East United States where the disease was first discovered.
"The physician has been educated to think about Lyme in very crisp, finite terms. And they've been taught that we don't know what it is but that it's not Lyme. So the patient is then left dangling. Probably having Lyme or something like it that we haven't discovered yet and getting emotional support up to a point or the usual which is 'this is stress, you're depressed, take an anti-anxiety pill, see a psychiatrist and goodbye'. I tell the patient sometimes that if you wanted to make this up you could, but then you're making up the same story that hundreds and thousands of patients are also making up."

There are still major and sometimes bruising fights taking place within the medical profession about the nature of the disease. Does Chronic Lyme Disease exist or not? All the evidence suggests it does but as the arguments continue one thing remains the same - the sufferers are left dangling, knowing that something dramatic and debilitating has happened to their health but often unable to get the support and help needed to overcome it. 
But that's the history of medicine!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.