Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:45:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Watch List Updates - March 2011  (Read 11370 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
ADAP Watch List Updates - March 2011
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:03 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(6,972 individuals in 11 states*, as of March 3, 2011)
(changes from Feb 24 noted in parens (+268))

Arkansas: 42 individuals (+6)
Florida: 3,503 individuals (+96)
Georgia: 1,074 individuals (+65)
Idaho: 7 individuals (+3)
Louisiana: 732 individuals** (+14)
Montana: 20 individuals (0)
North Carolina: 133 individuals (+3)
Ohio: 449 individuals (+11)
South Carolina: 507 individuals (+39)
Virginia: 502 individuals (+31)
Wyoming: 3 individuals (0)

ADAP Mar 4th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

NOTE: Don't forget that Florida ADAP has actually gone bankrupt and is NOT supplying meds to 6000-6500 people. (http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_ADAP_Florida_401_19820.shtml) Thankfully other arrangements were made to keep those people supplied until Florida ADAP begins to receive it's FY2011 budget in April
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Re: ADAP Watch List Updates - March 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:37:40 pm »
There are 7261 people on the waiting list now. Last year ended with 5,154 people on the ADAP waiting list. In just 2 and a half months, that total has already increased by 40% by adding another 2,107 more people to the lists. And just think, if the watch list actually added in the 6500 from Florida who are no longer being cared for by FL ADAP*, then the watch list would have increased by 225%!! At this rate we could come close to 10K by the time we finally reach the end of FY 2010. :'(

ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(7,261 individuals in 11 states*, as of March 10, 2011)
(changes from Mar 3 noted in parens (+289))

Arkansas: 46 individuals (+4)
Florida: 3,616 individuals (+113)
Georgia: 1,153 individuals (+79)
Idaho: 8 individuals (+1)
Louisiana: 760 individuals** (+28)
North Carolina: 139 individuals (+6)
Ohio: 468 individuals (+19)
South Carolina: 527 individuals (+20)
Virginia: 521 individuals (+19)

ADAP Mar 11th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

*NOTE: Don't forget that Florida ADAP has actually gone bankrupt and is NOT supplying meds to 6000-6500 people. (http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_ADAP_Florida_401_19820.shtml) Thankfully other arrangements were made to keep those people supplied until Florida ADAP begins to receive it's FY2011 budget in April.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:50 am »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(7,372 individuals in 11 states*, as of March 17, 2011)
(changes from Mar 10 noted in parens (+111))

Arkansas: 46 individuals (0)
Florida: 3,660 individuals (+44)
[Flordia could have been reporting 10,160!]
Georgia: 1,193 individuals (+40)
Idaho: 9 individuals (+1)
Louisiana: 796 individuals** (+36)
North Carolina: 163 individuals (+24)
Ohio: 397 individuals (-71)
South Carolina: 544 individuals (+17)
Virginia: 541 individuals (+20)

ADAP Mar 18th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

Though this should also be discussed over in the activism forum, I'd like to pass along a link those living in these 11 states with ADAP waiting lists - http://www.doseofchange.org/

This site is a project of AIDS Foundation of Chicago made possible, in part, by AIDS United. They have an excellent 35 mins. webinar online now called "Training Video: Talk to Congress about ADAP in Your Neck of the Woods".

Advocacy is desperately needed in America and in these 11 states to properly fund the ADAP and to make sure that ALL Americans have access to daily HIV medications. It's only a matter of time, if some legislatures aren't turned around, before the callous budget cuts in health care begin to not count up on wait lists but count onto the list of those who have died from AIDS in America because they couldn't get treatment.

Take a listen to this webinar and see if you can't use these techniques to contact the legislators in your state and ask them to help alleviate the ADAP funding crisis.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline cardsfan69

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:49 am »
I live in Florida and luckily i'm still getting my meds thru ADAP so that 10000 number ur reporting isnt exactly true not everyone is getting an emergency supply (like my partner) from Wellvista there are many of us still getting our hiv meds thru ADAP. Not sure how they determined which people they switched over to Wellvista and which ones they kept on ADAP. I asked the pharmacist the other day when i went to pick up my meds and she said she had no clue how they determined it.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:44:31 am »

If you want to be kept updated this is a good site to have a look at.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50546305/ADAP-Watch-Update-3-11-11

Kia Kaha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:33 am »
I live in Florida and luckily I'm still getting my meds thru ADAP so that 10000 number Ur reporting isnt exactly true not everyone is getting an emergency supply (like my partner) from Wellvista there are many of us still getting our hiv meds thru ADAP. Not sure how they determined which people they switched over to Wellvista and which ones they kept on ADAP. I asked the pharmacist the other day when i went to pick up my meds and she said she had no clue how they determined it.
I'm only going by Florida's ADAP own reports of being broke with a $14.5 million shortage and not having the funding to cover medications for approx. 6500 people. Of course, by not officially announcing the exact number of those being covered by Welvista, Florida is able to hide this horrendous problem. Whether Florida is not covering 6500 HIV positive people or 100 HIV positive people, it's a terrible problem that is not being recognized properly in the ADAP watch list

Of course, the official ADAP Watch List is always current and available at http://nastad.org
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:49:56 pm »
Saw a notice in the docs office today that Texas ADAP will most likely be implementing CCS's  in September. You will not be able to receive assistance if your CD4's are above 500, it did say that this will only apply to new applicants and no current participants will be kicked off (well at least not yet, lol).

Although interestingly enough I cannot find this info on the Texas DHS website. I will post a link when I find it.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:45 pm »
You will not be able to receive assistance if your CD4's are above 500, it did say that this will only apply to new applicants and no current participants will be kicked off (well at least not yet, lol).
Thanks for this information. ;)

Hopefully very few people will be affected as ARVs are not usually prescribed until after someone has a cd4 of 500 or below. (it's when they drop people who are on HAART and ADAP that have regained 500 and above cd4s that there will really be a problem!)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(7,372 individuals in 11 states*, as of March 24, 2011)
(changes from Mar 17 noted in parens (+181))

Arkansas: 31 individuals (-15)
Florida: 3,848 individuals (+188)
[Flordia could have been reporting 10,348!]
Georgia: 1,221 individuals (+28)
Idaho: 11 individuals (+2)
Louisiana: 816 individuals** (+20)
Montana: 21 individuals (+1)
North Carolina: 177 individuals (+14)
Ohio: 303 individuals (+94)
South Carolina: 560 individuals (+16)
Virginia: 563 individuals (+22)
Wyoming: 2 individuals (-1)

ADAP Mar 24th Watch List

Recently my ASO allowed me to sponsor a special 2 hour long advocacy meeting. We had a guest speaker from Tell Them! (an organization that helps put people into contact with their legislators to discuss sexual health care matters), after which we wrote letters to the legislators about the ADAP crisis as part of my monthly letter-writing campaign, followed up by some immediate advocacy of attending a Client Advisory Board meeting as new members.

As a result of that meeting, I took several new client/advocates to a special advocacy training class that was sponsored by the SC HIV/AIDS Care Crisis Task Force. Our special guests were in from AIDS Healthcare Foundation (based in California) who spoke to us on the importance and the impact of advocacy before giving us a lesson in how to speak to our legislators to best get our message across. (Thanks for a great meeting, Joe!!) After a luncheon, we caravaned over to the State House and put into the action the training we had received by actively engaging our legislators and speaking about ADAP funding and the budget proposal for Medicaid to only pay for generic HIV meds (S 434).

Since I have often tempted my fellow clients/volunteers/advocates into coming to rallies with my lemon bars and cookies, I figured baking was a good way to get to my legislators also. I made up containers of "Positive Cookies" (Chinese Almond Cookies with cherry-icing Awareness Ribbons and lemon-icing Smilies) and a note asking them while they enjoyed the cookies to consider fully funding ADAP as they debate the FY2012 budget. ;)

Tomorrow, I'm heading back on the hour-and-a-half drive to the state capital with another group of client/advocates to another special advocacy training class and luncheon (sponsored by Tell Them! this time), after which we'll go to the State House to speak with our legislators about fully funding ADAP and removing the proposal (H 3408) that would allow health care officials to base their care (or refusal to care!) on their own moral or religious beliefs.

Hopefully, we can get our legislators to agree to fund SC ADAP by $10 million to cover the current clients and projected clients in FY2011. If they don't spend that much, and people go without meds, get sick and are hospitalized, or perhaps even die, the taxpayers of SC could be on the hook to cover up to over $48 million of health care costs (according to data from the SC SHARP report).
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:30 pm »
Tomorrow, I'm heading back on the hour-and-a-half drive to the state capital with another group of client/advocates to another special advocacy training class and luncheon (sponsored by Tell Them! this time), after which we'll go to the State House to speak with our legislators about fully funding ADAP and removing the proposal (H 3408) that would allow health care officials to base their care (or refusal to care!) on their own moral or religious beliefs.

Hopefully, we can get our legislators to agree to fund SC ADAP by $10 million to cover the current clients and projected clients in FY2011. If they don't spend that much, and people go without meds, get sick and are hospitalized, or perhaps even die, the taxpayers of SC could be on the hook to cover up to over $48 million of health care costs (according to data from the SC SHARP report).

This is a huge undertaking Mikie and I know your group will have an impact.  Just getting in the door is one thing, but your ability to convey this information in a professional way (backed up with facts) is what gets through to the 'powers that be' in Columbia.  Thank you for all that you are doing! 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.