Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:55:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 651
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dandruff and palm peeling...  (Read 7345 times)

Offline blondbeauty

Dandruff and palm peeling...
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:04:33 pm »
Many months ago I posted about two things that concerned me since being HIV+. I had a severe dandruff and the palms of my hands were constantly peeling. The skin cracked around the wrinkles of my palms and fell in the shape of big scales.
Well...since starting treatment those two problems have completely disappeared. I don´t know if this due to viral reduction or not, but my skin is perfect and healthy again!
My life is like a Pantene Pro- V advertisement!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: Dandruff and palm peeling...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 03:07:33 pm »
just don't go growing breasts on us ok?

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:07:44 pm »
nice to hear.... if so, those are the kind of side effects we pozzies need!!  :D

an earlier thread sort of explores the connection a little too. makes you wonder
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:13:35 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:17:23 pm »
Yeah....I'm interested in this because I have had major dandruff issues as well.  I also had the palm peeling, but it went away first and never returned.  Again, another thing my doctors would pooh-pooh as just a coincidence.  (I hate when they do that crap!)  It has lessened considerably since meds, but still crops up from time to time.  In fact, it's snowing here in the den right now- dammit!   >:(
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:22:39 pm »
Could have been seborrheic dermatitis which effects some HIV folks.  I've had it, or something like it (seems the more dermatologists you visit the more likely they are to call it something else).

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/seborrhea/a/seb_aids.htm
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 03:24:55 pm »
Thank you for the link!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 03:36:50 pm »
http://dermatology.about.com/cs/seborrhea/a/seb_aids.htm

Interesting link philly267:
However, up to 85% of HIV-infected people experience seborrheic dermatitis at some time after they acquire the infection. The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown, but many investigators believe the yeast, Pityrosporum ovale, plays a role in the disease.

85% Didn't realize it was so common

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 08:03:07 pm »
Hey Juan...

It was an experience as if the skin was shedding and behind it came new and beautiful skin. Smooth like a little baby's...LOL!

Happy Holidays!

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:18:52 pm »

When I got really, really sick about a year ago, the skin on both my hands and feet were peeling off.  I never really had dandruff, but my scalp sure itched a lot.  I also had what I thought was rosacea on my cheeks, but i'm quite sure it was seborrheic dermatitis.

The kind folks on this very Forum suggested Neutrogena T-gel coal tar shampoo and it cleared up within a week.  Hasn't really returned since being on HAART.

John
(LMAO @ the Pantene-V commercial Juan!   BTW you've ruined me -- i'll always associate Nellie Olsen and Barbara Bain with you now)  ;D

Offline northernguy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 02:27:40 am »
I'm living that flaky dream right now :( If I rub my head its like a snowstorm. I've become obsessed that people I talk to are staring at my flaky scalp. T-gel doesn't seem to do much, neither does Nizoral.  Selsun seems to help control it a little.  My hands also itch and flake, and I've been using a cortisone cream to calm it down.  Nice to know that when I start meds I might be rid of this.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 05:28:19 am »
Life is sweet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 05:35:39 am »
So I was not the only one with that problem...The same happened to me, Northernguy, when I rubbed my hands.
I might become Nellie Oleson again, anytime!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 06:51:01 am »
blond and beautiful,

I have to smear a lot of lotion on that carcass of mine. My skin is a lot drier then it used to be. However, quitting my flying job high in the sky's did improve my condition considerably.
At one point I thought I had contracted leprosy.
So, whenever you find a limb on a Lufthansa plane, it might be mine....

Hermie :D
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 07:20:03 am »
hmmm, it might be helpful to try asking your doctors about the possible connection btwn dandruff to levels of selenium, zinc, magnesium, etc in your system. The worst he/she could say is "I don't know" ...Also, EFA's have been known to help (Omega 3's, or is it Omega 6's?) (Waves hi to Eldon, Mr. Omega 3) ... Remember, every body (literally) is unique so what works for one person might not work for another. For example some people notice flax oil (another source of EFA's) makes them feel blah and grumpy and others swear by it

Alex
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 08:03:56 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:59:48 pm »
It is my opinion that the dandruff you're referring to might be dermatitis. :-\  As for the hand peeling, it is also my opinion that you don't need to jerk off once a day... ;) ::) :P :-* 8) :o ;D :D :)

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline water duck

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 03:43:48 pm »
Mon lapin Val,

Is that why your hands are always peeling due to all this ....................
Darling, you should have let me know, i sure can tell you where you can stick it up so that your hands will stop peeling  :D ;D

Siang

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 06:38:50 pm »
Sorry for my last reply.  It must have been confused with another reply.  What i would try is triple antibacterial cream.  it seemed to clear up my skin and others within 24 hours.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »
ohhh,  Glad things are working out

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.