Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DVD drive  (Read 4598 times)

Offline wolfter

DVD drive
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »
OK all, I'm ready to throw my laptop out the window.  I bought this thing last year and it recently went out of warranty.  Surprise, the hard drive went bad.  I bought a new one and got everything loaded and working.....except the DVD player.

The disk drive itself is working as I loaded Norton, panasonic viewer and a few other thing from that drive.  But when I load videos, I hear it attempting to play but it does nothing.  I don't get an error message or anything.  Not even the one that asks what program to use to play the video.

Is it possible that portion of the reader went bad?  Is there a way to test it?  Is there a setting that might need changed?  I was able to play DVD's before the hard drive crashed.  It's all just driving me crazy and google isn't helping.

Thanks,
Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: DVD drive
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:12:21 pm »
.  It's all just driving me crazy and google isn't helping.

Thanks,
Wolfie

You say this is the new Computer? Cant you just call the Manufacturers Helpline, or just take it back?

Oh, n/m, In re-reading it seems it's the hard drive that is new, not the computer. hmm, sorry wished I could help.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Growler

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:51:21 pm »
A new hard drive means new install of windows? Might need to reset default player for DVDs
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

Ok then some flavours of windows dont have a dvd player installed. You need the right software which I use is k lite video codex (Standard version). Link to download
http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

Cheers
GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:17:44 pm »
Try the VLC player. Plays everything, never any problems with codecs, easy to understand and runs very lite without wasting too much RAM and memory.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »
I highly recommend spraying this onto the problem area. It breaks hexes and spells that may have been placed on you by someone. Plus at $4.50 it's a relative bargain.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:44:02 pm »
How sweet is this, I was checking on replacement drives on Staples.com and when I came here, the ads are from Staples.  Love being tracked.

Anyways, I still can't play DVD movies.  I can play music CDs and videos that I've taken.  Don't understand but am tired of dealing with it.  I don't watch movies anyways so I guess I'll let it drop.  I just hate having something that is functioning correctly.

I've got all my setting set to prompt me for what action to take.  DVD's are the only ones that I don't get the prompt and when I explore my D drive, it doesn't even show there's a disc in there.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:04:49 pm »
How sweet is this, I was checking on replacement drives on Staples.com and when I came here, the ads are from Staples.  Love being tracked.

want some milk with those cookies
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:08:54 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:41:32 pm »
in "my computer" does it show your drive as a CD drive or a DVD drive?

it sounds like perhaps when you replaced the hard drive, the new install of windows did not see your drive as a DVD and you probably don't have the proper drivers installed to run it as a DVD player (it defaulted to a CD drive). If it only shows as a CD, then you'll need to:

shut off windows, remove the dvd drive,
restart windows, shut it down again,
then re-install the DVD player, restart windows

and hope it reads the player properly this time and installs the drivers. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »
If you take it in some place to be fixed, make sure you delete anything you don't want them to see.  Don't do what I did.  My computer crashed and I did a reinstall.  I thought I backed up all the old files.  However, I could not recover all my pics.  After the computer was working again and before taking it in, I had saved some naughty pix.  I deleted them, before taking my laptop in.  However, I forgot about the trash bin. 

Off I went to try and recover my photos of the family and vacations.  When the guy searched for all pix, it pulled up all those filthy pix I thought I got rid of.  It pulled one up full screen.  He laughed and said this happens all the time.  Then, he offered to make a house visit for free to fix my hard drive.     

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:26 pm »
Years ago in the mid-90's I took a VCR in for repairs because a tape got stuck in it. The title was Horse Hung Hispanics Vol. 4.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:35:08 am »

and hope it reads the player properly this time and installs the drivers. ;)

Just to add  to this... You may have to manually check for driver updates.  To do this, Click START> in the search box type DEVICE MANAGER, >  When you see device manager ( in the results) click on it. Locate you DVD/ CD ROM/ and click on that.  Another window should open , one of the tabs will be listed as DRIVER.  Click that DRIVER tab, and choose "UPDATE DRIVER.

If your drivers for the DVD CD/ROM are up to date, it will let you know that, if not, it will download the latest drivers for that device.

Oh I forgot, you will be given two options to check for drivers:

1, Check your computer for drivers

2:  Check online for the latest drivers. (I usually check online )

Ray
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:40:17 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:08 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm convinced the drive itself is bad.  I'll just purchase an external DVD drive and be done with it.

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:42 am »
Your BIOS settings may have decided you've installed a CD-ROM drive, not a DVD drive. Check there before you chuck it.

With the install of your OS onto the new HD, you might not have installed the proper software to be able to view DVD's. Of course, Windows Media Player should have recognized the DVD and played it.

I bet you have some unique drivers for your laptop that have to be reloaded. This would depend on whether you were able to totally reset your laptop to factory conditions when you replaced your HD or whether you just installed Windows and were done with it.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:44:42 pm »
The entire drive was bad from day 1.  I immediately burnt the recovery discs when I purchased this unit new.  When I bought the new hard drive and tried to install from the discs, there wasn't anything there.  Of course I didn't know this as you don't need the discs until you have an issue.  I had to purchase them from Toshiba.  All of my back up discs also were useless as nothing burnt correctly to the discs.

I was fortunate that my old hard drive didn't completely crash and I was able to reinstall it and back up everything to a flash drive. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.