Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: possible infection from a testing center  (Read 18859 times)

Offline jamesjohn_9

possible infection from a testing center
« on: July 09, 2006, 01:04:03 pm »
i had visited your forum earlier and got immensely benefited from your support and advice. but before i could get back to you all - andy, rapirod, ann and others, with the news , here i am with a possible infection. looks like i am destined to have the hiv virus and there is no way i can run from it.
i am the one who had suffered sexual abuse when i was a minor. anyways as per advice i got myself tested amd took the eliza test on the 7th of june and it was negetive. but now i strongly believe that i have finally got the infection this time from the clinic. the very next day that is the 8th when i woke up in the morning i felt that i had caught cold. though there was no running nose and cogestion in the nose. i took an anti allergic tablet - CETZINE. the next few days went okie, but the cold came back on the 9th day, as i woke up in the morning i had a feeling as though my head was heavy and i felt feverish. the kind of feeling that you get in the head and around the face region if u have caught cold. there was no cogestion in the nose and no headache or bodyache, no sore throat, no swollen lymphs. these symptoms carried on till the 27th of june. during this phase (10-11 days) i had taken 8 to 9 anti allergic tablets -CETZINE and on the 18th and 19th i had taken three antibiotic capsules. but it did not do any good. Temperatures recorded over this period was below normal but on three to four occasions 98.8 degrees and once 99 degrees. i am back to being a nervous wreck. i wonder whether this is the acute viral syndrome.
please advice on what test should i take now.
i have learned from different articles that the intial AVS symptoms appear within 2-4 weeks of exposure, my question is - can it occur before 2 weeks?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: possible infection from a testing center
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 01:24:19 pm »
James, you do need to get some help but it has nothing to do with HIV.

Please don't come back to us with details about what was done wrong at the testing site that caused you to become infected. It just doesn't happen that way and you aren't the first one whose anxiety about HIV has come up with that kind of scenario.

For whatever reasons you have some intense fears connected to HIV. That's something you need to address with a therapist or other such professional. Talking about it in a safe and private setting including about your sense of inevitability about becoming HIV positive is the way to address this issue.

We can't help you with that here.

Good luck to you.

And no, you do not need to do any further HIV Elissa testing.

Andy Velez

Offline rick_nh

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 01:27:09 pm »
No clinic is going to open themselves up to lawsuits by re-using needles (or whatever else you think they did to infect you). It's just simply not going to happen. Clinics and hospitals have EXTREMELY strict guidelines for sterile equiment, and everyone working in a clinic or hospital is well-trained in safety procedures. It's the law.

If you are still terrified, I suggest you call the clinic and have them describe to you their safety procedures for needles and other equipment. I can assure you that it will put your mind at ease.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:55:24 pm by rick_nh »

Offline Dogstar

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:38:21 pm »
I concur with rick and andy. Remember your temperature can fluctuate in your body at any time. A 99 degree reading is pretty normal. Stop reading stuff on the internet, it will only do you no good, been there and done that. You have tested negative and if you continue to be safe you will have no problems.  Good Luck  Dogstar

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 03:22:08 pm »
to andy :- i am extremely sorry if i have put in unnecessary questions. but my intetion is not to waste anybodys valuable time. i understand that people who come to this forum are under immense stress and they look forward to your valuable advise. but i am all the more conecerned because i am supposed to get married shortly and i dont want to take any chances at all and punish somebody innocent. since these symptoms ( i can assure u its not psychological) have occured i want to be dead sure about my status. i donot have anything against the testing center.
to rick_nh: i understand your views but that i feel that relates perfectly to a place like US/european countries but in third world countries its different.

please let me know what test can i take at the end of 5-6 weeks and how accurate can it be?
Also Is it possible to have the initial AVS symtoms like fever and all before 2 weeks? since all sites put the period as 2-4 weeks. in my case the symptoms appeared on the 9th day.

i would also like to apologise, if i am bothering you all

regards

james

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:24:06 pm »
If you have symptoms of any kind and it bothers you, go see a doctor. We don't discuss symptoms and your concerns here are not related to HIV. You are wasting your time on the internet.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:09:21 pm »
James, this is not an HIV situation. There is no need for testing.

If because of your totally unfounded fears about HIV transmission from the clinic where you tested you still decide to get tested, then 13 weeks is considered the reliable testing point by CDC standards. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number will seroconvert within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So some people test at 6 weeks and then confirm a negative result with a re-test at 13 weeks. But I am talking about those with a genuine risk.

You are insisting you had a risk at the clinic and I don't agree with that but you're of course free to do as you wish.

Andy Velez

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:07:44 pm »
I think the experts here have said all that needs to be said but I wanted to add that you report here only on the supposed symptoms you are having.  You don't give any good indication on why you think you would have gotten infected from a clinic.  Having worked in several health care centers and currently working in a hospital research lab, I can tell you without a doubt that you did not pick up a viral infection from any dirty needles.  Everything is sterilized and used only once per patient and then discarded and autoclaved.

Likewise you report varied body temperatures that fall totally within "normal" range.  Therefore it appears you've discovered what people have already told you.  IF you measure body temperature enough times you will find that it isn't constant but fluctuates slightly below or above what is considered normal.  You do not report temperatures that are indicative of an infection.

Andy makes a great point that is worth repeating, your case seems psychological.  Someone under intense mental distress can actually exhibit real physical symptoms.  Consider therapy for helping you cope with unfounded fears of infection.  When your mind is at peace your symptoms will disappear like magic!

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 02:53:07 pm »
thanx to all of you, i will do as u advised.

just one last question : in various websites its given that the window period for getting an eliza test is 6 months, but given the kind of eliza tests that are available in developing countries would a 13 weeks test be definitive and conclusive (100% accurate)?

thanx again for your suggestions.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 03:18:22 pm »
13 weeks in the US and 12 weeks in most other.

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 03:00:43 pm »
okie, thanx

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 02:59:10 pm »
Thanx for all your help previously. i will be obliged if you all answer a few more questions.
since i had a fear that i may have got infected by HIV virus from the syringe that was used to draw blood at an HIV teting center and subsequently i had fever that lasted two weeks, i got myself tested last week.
My questions are:

The test performed last week is a rapid kit test for HIV I & II (KIT used was HIV TRI - DOT - Biomed Industries). can you tell me is this rapid kit test is as accurate as an elisa?

Is a rapid kit test taken at 4 months definitive and conclusive? is the three month window period applicable to rapid kit tests also?

please answer all my questions.

thank you for your time in answering the questions

regards

james

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 03:28:25 pm »
Yes a rapid test is just as reliable and the test is conclusive. The time line does not matter in your case because you never had a risk.

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 03:04:25 pm »
thanx rapirod.

the reason i asked the question whether the three month window period is applicablethe tri-dot rapid kit test is because the attendant at the testing center told me that the suitable time for the rapid kit test is 6 months and that i will require a followup test. he also told me that elisa is a more accurate test than the rapid kit, i am confused and cant make anything out if this?

sorry for asking the question again, please tell me is the three month window period applicable to tri-dot rapid kit test also?

does the tri-dot rapid kit test taken at 4 months require a followup even if chances of transmission are very high?

thanks for all your support and time

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 06:19:31 pm »
james,

Three months is conclusive no matter what test you use.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 02:15:36 pm »
Thank you Ann, one more thing,

just wanted to know what is the difference between an ELISA and a Rapid kit test?

Also i would like to express my heartfelt thanx to all others who take time out to provide support and answer question on this forum

regards

james

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 02:47:19 pm »
james,

If you'd bother to read through the Welcome Thread, you'd find all the answers to your questions.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 02:57:20 am »
okie,

thanx Ann

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 03:14:57 pm »
sorry to bother all of you again. the following is the reply i received from another webiste.

Rapid tests are recommended for certain settings like camps or screenings when quick results are required so that the HIV infected person can be counselled immediately.
The accuracy of the Rapid tests are adequate and satisfactory in such settings, but the incidence of false positives is more in Rapid tests. Hence in clinical settings, Elisa test is the recommended test.
A Rapid test at four months needs to be confirmed at six months.
The window period is unchanged for Rapid tests and a confirmatory test is required in case the preliminary test is positive. The technology used is similar to that of an Elisa test. A rapid test produces results in approximately 20 minutes

u had mentioned that whatever be the test, it is conclusive if taken at three months, but they sugget a confirmatory rapid test at 6 months for conclusion. it will be very kind of you if you can explain the differnce of opinion?

what are the chances of a false negative in a rapid kit test?

thank you once again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 05:02:05 pm »
james,

It isn't our job to explain every bit of hiv misinformation you come across on the internet.

The window period for hiv is THREE MONTHS, no matter what sort of test is used. Period. End of story.

You are heading for a time out. Yours is NOT an hiv situation. There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 03:39:44 pm »
i do understand your point of view. but you know how worried wells like us act, and thats where we turn to supportive and understanding people like you, and these forums.

the reason that i asked the question is because the confirmation requirement at six months (right or wrong) is similar to what the attendant at the clinic told me.

anyways i will go by what you say, but can u please tell me what are the chances of false negative in case of a rapid tri-dot?

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 10:01:13 am »
please can you let me know what are the chances of a false negative in case of rapid tri-dot test?

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 03:21:31 pm »
sorry to bother all of you again and i dont intend to waste your time, but i would like to tell you that i respect your views, its just that a few things are still on my mind, and i feel awful.  i was trying to find the answer to my question in this forum but instead i stumbled upon a posting by darkfiber that has again made me worried. the quote is mentioned below
PS. In Switzerland we only use 4th generation assays (with exception of rapid tests) and we still have the 3 months windowperiod, 4th generation tests

does that mean that the window period for rapid test is longer? is the tri-dot rapid a 4th generation test?

please also let me know what are the chances of a false negative?

i am truly sorry if i am being a nuisanse, but please understand my state of mind

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 03:44:15 pm »
The window period for the rapid test is the same as any other regular HIV test. It should be done at 13 weeks after the most recent possibly risky incident.

The difference is that the result is obtained much quicker. The waiting time is the same in relation to a possible exposure.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:33:44 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 04:03:02 pm »
Thank you so much andy for your reply.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 06:35:41 pm »
The tri-dot test which you inquired about was developed in India and is widely used there.

It is not FDA-approved and there is not in use in the United States.

This a quote from the Journal of Clinical Microbiology:

Two rapid human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) screening assays, HIV TRI-DOT and HIV-SPOT were compared with standard enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays according to a testing algorithm. Sensitivities and specificities in the real-time evaluation were 99.5 and 99.9% for TRI-DOT and 98.2 and 99.7% for HIV-SPOT, respectively. These two tests are suitable for use where facilities and laboratory expertise are limited.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy Velez

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 04:29:13 am »
thank you so much Andy for your concern and explanation on tri-dot. i really appreciate your willingness to help. 

As the sensitivity for rapid tridot is 99.5 (i guess this is lower than elisa), could this be the reason that the attendant at the clinic recommended a confirmatory test at 6 months?

i have accepted your views on the window period of three months, all i want to know is, would all these views of three month window period be applicable to tri-dot also, since it is not FDA approved?

thank you, thank you, thanks a ton
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:43:55 pm by jamesjohn_9 »

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 03:57:28 pm »
sorry for putting this forward again i tried not to do this for the last two days but not being able to hold on, i might be acting stupid but believe me i am not being able to let off my steam and not getting an reply makes me feel damn scared. i know your advices are scientific and true, i dont know whats wrong with me.

i have accepted your views on the window period of three months, all i want to know is, would all these views of three month window period be applicable to tri-dot also, since it is not FDA approved?

is tri-dot a fourth generation test? is there even a remote chance of having a false negative?

thank so much for your patience

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 04:51:39 pm »
james,

Here's a thought, why don't you ask these questions of the person who is giving you the tri-dot test?

We are not a counseling service james. You need to be talking this stuff over with a counselor face to face. You have a conclusive negative test and you did NOT become infected from taking the test. Your issues are outside the scope of this forum. And yes, I remember you very well from the other forum.

You do NOT have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 01:27:22 pm »
i was going crazy till yesterday because the attendant at the clinic was on leave, today i managed to speak to him, but instead of getting my queries answered, he threw me back to the ditch.
he could not give me an answer, all he said was tri-dot is conclusive only if taken after 6 months?

why? NO EXPLANATION.

I wonder if there is a business angle, to his suggestion that i take another test.

but what reallt sent me through the roof was when he said that if the virus has entered the body in extremely small proportion (very very little amount - as may have been in my case) then it takes a very long period for the antibodies to reach detectable levels. i am really going mad.

please tell me facts about the tri-dot and its window period and about the what he said about the virus entering the in small porportion.

your forum is the only place where i can get to know facts that are not biased

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 02:11:59 pm »
Guess he doesn't know what he's talking about or he has never looked at the manual. http://nicd.org/Downloads/HIVTestingManual.doc 12 weeks is what it says. Not six weeks nor 6 months.

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2006, 12:18:29 am »
thank you so much for your concern, i will go through the manual.

this forum is great

Offline jamesjohn_9

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2006, 01:10:05 pm »
A heartfelt thanks to Ann, Andy, Rapirod, Rick and Dogstar for showing patience, care and providing the much needed support, as also to other members of this forum who help worried wells like us to get some peace of mind, and letting us know true facts about HIV.

I'll go through the docementation.

Thanks to all of you once again

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.