Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 397
Total: 398

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Life expentancy after hiv diagnosis  (Read 41229 times)

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
Re: Life expentancy after hiv diagnosis
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 05:32:15 am »
who wants to be old and hiv anyways ???!!!

I wanna grow old so I can hit on all the young-ins.....of course by that time I sure hope I am HIV free.  ;D
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline elf

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 12:29:46 am »
I live in Europe so I will hopefully live longer.
I am happy now because my triglycerides are normal even on Kaletra,
omega-3 is doing the trick.
I'm all into sports now, jogging/running, soccer, gym,
and would love to engage into some really cool stuff like windsurfing.  ;D
HIV made me a sporty person.  ??? :o

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 12:33:07 am »
I live in Europe so I will hopefully live longer.

What's that mean?  Live longer than us poor, misfortunate souls in America?  IIRC you live in Croatia, and the avg. life expectancy there is 2.3 years lower than here.  Take care now.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline elf

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 01:08:23 am »
No, what I meant:
1. because there are only 500 cases of HIV/AIDS (to 4 million of inhabitants), the medication is free of charge, it is not even covered by a medical insurance system but given directly by the government (thru Medical School Infectious Diseases clinics)
2. this means interruption of treatment is less likely
3. it is interruptions of treatment that mess up w/the US data on HIV

Life expectency here would be higher if it hadn't been for 5 years of war (1990-95)
But as they say: there is no such thing as a free lunch
(so my advice to Bask as Catalans: accept your Spanish blood to live longer  ;D )

BTW, I've recently moved to an island and the life expectancy is higher here  ;):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2080454/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:28:22 am by elf »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:17 am »

3. it is interruptions of treatment that mess up w/the US data on HIV

Can you elaborate and provide me with some sources to support this assertion?  Thanks.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »
Dr. Gallant responded to someone asking about this study:

On Feb 4, 2010 Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H. replied:
Beware of people who make liberal use of the word "Truth." They're either trying to pull something over on you, or they're just not thinking clearly. Be even MORE wary of those who "demand the truth!"

What this study says is that the AVERAGE life expectancy increased from 10.5 years to 22.5 years from 1996 to 2005. This average comes from a cohort that includes patients with extensive resistance from pre-HAART therapy, patients with comorbid conditions such as hepatitis C and kidney disease, injection drug users, patients who started therapy with advance disease, and patients who didn't take their medications. The point of the study, as mentioned by the authors in their conclusions, was to point out disparities in life expectancy between men and women and between whites and minorities, not to determine the "true" life expectance of someone with HIV infection.

In short, this study was never intended to tell you what your life expectancy is. A more relevant study was the French Aquitaine cohort, which found that IF you achieve an undetectable viral load and a CD4 count above 500 on ART and maintain those results for several years, then your life expectancy is the same as that of the general population. For an individual patient, these are more useful results, because they provide a somewhat more individualized estimate.

I'm not sure why you feel that this study represents TRUTH and others don't.

LINK:

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu/q_a/patient/recent_questions/life_expectancy_truth_revealed.html?contentInstanceId=514569&siteId=7151

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »

I wonder if this applies to me if I am half Greek and half Chinese. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:22 pm »

I wonder if this applies to me if I am half Greek and half Chinese. 

That's a hot combination.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 11:05:02 pm »
That's a hot combination.

Perhaps it is however,  I should have put "if" in bold print.  I am actually German Irish.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:20 am »
Perhaps it is however,  I should have put "if" in bold print.  I am actually German Irish.

I'm half German, a quarter Irish and a quarter Scottish. (mother was first generation half German, half Scottish and father was first generation half German, half Irish)

Whenever I mention being half German to a Scouser (someone from Liverpool), they tell me "you bombed our chippies!" (said in a Beetles accent). My father was a tail-gunner in WWII for the USAF. That usually shuts them up.

I come from some pretty sturdy stock. People on my mother's side all live long lives and the same on my father's side, aside from those who died from cirrhosis of the liver on both sides. Wonder if anyone's done a study on life expectancy of poz people who come from European alcoholic ancestry?

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, 11:57:29 am »
I'm half German, a quarter Irish and a quarter Scottish. (mother was first generation half German, half Scottish and father was first generation half German, half Irish)

Whenever I mention being half German to a Scouser (someone from Liverpool), they tell me "you bombed our chippies!" (said in a Beetles accent). My father was a tail-gunner in WWII for the USAF. That usually shuts them up.

I come from some pretty sturdy stock. People on my mother's side all live long lives and the same on my father's side, aside from those who died from cirrhosis of the liver on both sides. Wonder if anyone's done a study on life expectancy of poz people who come from European alcoholic ancestry?

Im british ann with english irish scottish and welsh ties , but grew up in england and one thing is for sure if the british drinking culture carries on unchecked a large chunk of our population will be dying young with liver problems. I used to drink far to much i suppose the one plus to come out of my hiv diagnosis is that my drinking is well under control.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline BlackLion

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2010, 04:45:27 am »
So scared, doctors in Viet Nam always advise that infeted people use Haart may keep their life for another five years.  >:(

Offline elf

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2010, 06:03:15 am »
5 years is a manufacturer's guarantee  :)
when HIV meds are tested, they are tested for 5 years,
not for 50 years  ;D

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:26 am »
This topic keeps coming up over at Dr. Gallant's site.  I noticed Inch already posted Dr. Gallant's response.  However, someone asked him again about this and he referred them back to his original remarks.

I'm wondering what you guys thought of Dr. Gallant's response to this life expectancy study.  Is he pretty much right on?  When Inch posted it, it didn't generate much debate and this thread died out.  Sorry to bring back a zombie thread--well, not totally zombie but recently buried.

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org//q_a/patient/recent_questions/re__chronic_manageable_condition.html?contentInstanceId=534160&siteId=7151 

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2010, 11:04:28 am »
This topic keeps coming up over at Dr. Gallant's site.  I noticed Inch already posted Dr. Gallant's response.  However, someone asked him again about this and he referred them back to his original remarks.

I'm wondering what you guys thought of Dr. Gallant's response to this life expectancy study.  Is he pretty much right on?  When Inch posted it, it didn't generate much debate and this thread died out.  Sorry to bring back a zombie thread--well, not totally zombie but recently buried.

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org//q_a/patient/recent_questions/re__chronic_manageable_condition.html?contentInstanceId=534160&siteId=7151 

If by "right on" you are interpreting his remarks to say that if you take your pills you are likely to live to a ripe old age without noticing a huge effect on your life chances due to HIV... then yes.

If you interpret them to say that HIV is a nonevent if you take your pills... then no.  (Sometimes, people interpret his remarks or these studies to say that if you take your pills regularly your life chances are the same as if you didn't have HIV.  And none of the studies actually show that.  Even the French Aquitaine cohort study doesn't -- since groups of people who can actually manage to take their pills and stay adherent over the long term probably would have had better than average life expectancies absent HIV and this study merely shows them at the general population average.  )

So take your pills and see your doctor(s) and stop worrying about dying young.  You may lose a year or so of decrepitude, but that's decades of life and medical discoveries away from now for you.

A (who is a decade or two closer to decrepitude than most here ;D  )
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2010, 01:49:50 pm »
If by "right on" you are interpreting his remarks to say that if you take your pills you are likely to live to a ripe old age without noticing a huge effect on your life chances due to HIV... then yes.

If you interpret them to say that HIV is a nonevent if you take your pills... then no.  (Sometimes, people interpret his remarks or these studies to say that if you take your pills regularly your life chances are the same as if you didn't have HIV.  And none of the studies actually show that.  Even the French Aquitaine cohort study doesn't -- since groups of people who can actually manage to take their pills and stay adherent over the long term probably would have had better than average life expectancies absent HIV and this study merely shows them at the general population average.  )

So take your pills and see your doctor(s) and stop worrying about dying young.  You may lose a year or so of decrepitude, but that's decades of life and medical discoveries away from now for you.

A (who is a decade or two closer to decrepitude than most here ;D  )

^ Exactly my thoughts on the matter

Offline peteb

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2010, 08:40:19 pm »
to funny trey I am already shaking my walker for them hotties

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »

Holy crap Ann, you and I might be brother and sister.  I am also half German, a quarter Irish, and a quarter Scottish! 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.