HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Risk assessment

(1/1)

Retriever:
Hi,

Thanks for the work you do here.

I have read many posts in this section but I would still like a personalised response to ease my concerns.

Last week I received a massage while having two abrasions on my body (on my knee and elbow), the size of a strawberry. Both abrasions were around 6-day old and at the time of the massage they were in the process of healing and no longer bleeding. However, the skin was not fully repaired yet. The masseuse used oil on both of these abrasions. I did not see any blood during or after the massage.

My worries come from the fact that this was a massage parlour where VERY LIKELY sexual services were also offered. As I am married I felt really guilty.

1. Is there any possibility I could have contracted HIV because of HIV-contaminated fluid coming into contact with my not-fully healed abrasion? Letís say she had blood or other fluids on her hand.

2. Based on this event, should I get tested for HIV before resuming sexual activity with my wife?

Thanks again.

Jim Allen:
Hiya.

I have read your post three times, you had zero HIV risk from the visiting the brothel and getting a massage, move on with your life.

As for sex with your wife, I'll mention the same thing I always do when someone says they are in a relationship;

If you engage in condomless sex with your partner, you are obviously at risk of acquiring HIV. In relationships, condomless sex is often based on trust or past test results; however, this does not prevent HIV, so if condomless sex does occur, you should consider testing more frequently.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV and get vaccinated against HPV, Hepatitis A & B.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier-acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms; testing is the only way to know.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, which will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be removed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version