HIV Prevention and Testing > How Can I Prevent HIV?

Test for Truvada levels? (Tested poz)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jeff G:
There are test to measure drug concentrations but the real issue here is you do not need that testing at this time. If you do test positive and have a high enough viral load your doctor may choose to do some testing for resistance issues with truvada but it would be rare for you to have resistance issues for a drug you are adherent to, in short, there is no value in the test you are wanting to have done ... measuring the amount of truvada in your blood has nothing to do with resistance issues and will not tell you anything valuable about future treatment .

Welcome to the forums ... please only post in this thread until you have been confirmed HIV positive .

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on August 08, 2015, 12:25:36 am ---I have never heard of a test, which measures the amount of Truvada or any HIV med in your body.

--- End quote ---

Hey Ted, and to the originator of the thread,...

If you type TDM  ( therapeutic drug monitoring ) into the search of this site, you will get some responses.

Ray  8)

testedpoz12156:
Hey there!

So, good news: the positives on the rapid reaction tests turned out to be false after the 4th gen blood tests were ordered. (Amazingly, two false positives on two different tests -- and yes, I did several more tests to be sure, and a viral load count).

I learned a lot in this process from some HIV researchers, and they could find but 1 person who seroconverted while on Prep and taking Prep/Truvada consistently. This person was resistant to Tenofovir and Emtricitabine, the drugs in Truvada.

As re: the testing of Truvada levels, I meant to do it because I foresaw a situation where folks wouldn't believe I was taking the drug consistently. I realize that it wouldn't reflect if I was taking it the moment I contracted the virus, but it's usually the method by which adherence is counted in Prep efficacy studies. In the recent OLE Prep study http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/iPrEx_OLE_results_1667_25922.shtml, the two individuals who contracted HIV on Prep were found to have no Truvada in their blood at the time of diagnosis.

As re: the other questions, it was the first checkup (pre-3 months), and a viral load test was done immediately prior, and I hadn't risky sex for 6 months (or sex at all) before starting Prep.

testedpoz12156:
Hey!

So the news is the positives on the rapid reaction tests turned out to be false after the 4th gen blood tests were ordered (and as such, I understand if you want to lock and move this thread, though I wonder if the information might still be valuable). (Two false positives emerged on two different tests -- and yes, I did several more tests to be sure, and a viral load count).

I learned a lot in this process from some HIV researchers, and they could find but 1 person who seroconverted while on Prep and taking Prep/Truvada consistently. This person was resistant to Tenofovir and Emtricitabine, the drugs in Truvada.

As re: the testing of Truvada levels, I meant to do it because I foresaw a situation where folks wouldn't believe I was taking the drug consistently. I realize that it wouldn't reflect if I was taking it the moment I contracted the virus, but it's usually the method by which adherence is counted in Prep efficacy studies. In the recent OLE Prep study http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/iPrEx_OLE_results_1667_25922.shtml, the two individuals who contracted HIV on Prep were found to have no Truvada in their blood at the time of diagnosis. So it wasn't a test with treatment importance, right.

Anyway, I wanted to post this because I didn't want to discount Prep's efficacy, while at the same time acknowledging there are, while extremely rare, resistant HIV strains to Prep.

Thanks for responding. And sorry that this probably ended up in the wrong forum. Having bought friends rapid HIV tests and been the one to tell them they're positive, and going through the follow-up blood tests with the same result, I assumed that getting two rapid reactives were a fair marker for assuming a real positive, and thus got ahead of myself.

DodgerDawg:
Yikes!

You tested positive on Prep, while engaging in sex using a condom as prescribed.

Perhaps the take away is to "double bag" and be adherent to the Prep meds, although no one has ever made the claim that Prep is 100% effective.

Take care,

DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version