Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:23:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 635
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could this be the holy grail ?  (Read 369504 times)

Offline veritas

Re: Could this be the holy grail ?
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2009, 08:57:41 am »

braziliaman,

The advance publications can be found here:

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vaop/ncurrent/index.html

The Focus or supplement on HIV has not been published yet --- but should be shortly.

I believe we will find it very exciting!

v

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:17 am »
group to know a little Portuguese

adimiro o otimismo de veritas. concordo com ele que em breve teremos novidades animadoras. mas  a demora de alguns estudos me matam de ansiedade. beijos a todos.

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2009, 09:35:31 am »
from ingles

I like the optimism of veritas. I agree with him that soon we will have encouraging news. but the delay of a few studies of anxiety kill me. kisses to all.

Offline veritas

« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2009, 04:15:34 am »

The father of ANTI-PS, Dr. Philip Thorpe,, is interviewed by "The Behavioral Medicine Report".

'Question: Where is Bavituximab with the FDA process? Should Bavituximab be “fast tracked” through the FDA process in light of the millions of people who are sick and dying from viral-based diseases?

Dr. Thorpe described two ongoing phase 1 clinical trials – one with Hepatitis C, and another with Hepatitis C and HIV. In regard to “fast-tracking” the drug, Dr. Thorpe hopes that the FDA will adopt this attitude.'

Question: Have you conducted additional Bavituximab studies with any of the viruses mentioned in the Nature Medicine article or with the herpes (oral/genital) and Epstein Bar (EBV) viruses?

Dr. Thorpe reported that Bavituximab has now been tested with HIV in collaboration with Dr. Barton Haynes and colleagues at Duke University Medical Center. He stated that they found that several antibodies which recognize phosphatidylserine can control HIV proliferation in cultured cells and can control multiple clades of HIV – adding that this is a very big finding. Dr. Thorpe further responded that Bavituximab has not been studied with genital or oral herpes or EBV. Also, he said that it is not known whether cells infected with viruses like these which can become latent will continue to have exposed phosphatidylserine. He went on to state that this may not matter because the current thought is that you might be able to deplete the pool of virus during the active phase of infection and if the latent pool of virus can not be replenished then it will die out.

IT'S HAPPENING !!!!!!!!

http://www.bmedreport.com/archives/4486#more-4486

v

'

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2009, 05:43:51 pm »
Also, he said that it is not known whether cells infected with viruses like these which can become latent will continue to have exposed phosphatidylserine. He went on to state that this may not matter because the current thought is that you might be able to deplete the pool of virus during the active phase of infection and if the latent pool of virus can not be replenished then it will die out.

I guess this particular statement is referring to herpes and Epstein Barr and not HIV?

Offline veritas

« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2009, 04:37:00 am »

Inch,

He doesn't distinguish because it has not been proven (yet) in clinical trials. He has to be careful what he says until he has the evidence in hand. But he softens the statement with "that this may not matter"
quote. He seems to be setting it up as a either/or ---- its a win/win.

IT's Happening Inch!

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:08 pm »
Of course more research is needed to answer many questions, but if they are saying that anti-ps may only work at depleting latent virus during the acute phase of infection then it would rule out using it as a therapeutic or possible functional cure for HIV for those many of us past the acute phase.

But I'm still hopeful and look forward to seeing the results of the HepC/HIV study, which I'll trust you'll post here as soon as you find out about it ;)

Offline veritas

« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:46 pm »

Inch,

My quote was only referring to that part of the interview dealing with latent viral infected cells.

Didn't you read this?:

Question: Can you tell me more about Bavituximab?

Dr. Thorpe explained that Bavituximab is an antibody – or more concisely a protein produced by the immune system – that binds to a flipped cellular phospholipid, called phosphatidylserine. He went on to state that when cells are activated or stressed they expose their phosphatidylserine. This occurs on cells that line blood vessels inside tumors and on virally infected cells. Bavituximab binds to the phosphatidylserine and helps the immune system recognize the diseased cells. These actions then trigger an immune system response that clears the virally infected cells and their infectious virions. Dr. Thorpe’s study further demonstrates that the addition of traditional anti-viral drugs further facilitates the removal of these viruses, at least in guinea pigs and mice.

THATS THERAPEUTIC!!  By the way, its also the answer to the Quiz question in an earlier post.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #308 on: July 13, 2009, 01:03:50 pm »
I was wondering about that quiz question ;)

I was not sure how anti-ps would work with the HIV in reservoirs, which is what I was trying to figure out I guess. In the interview he says

Question: Do all latent viruses trigger exposure of phosphatidylserine?

Dr. Thorpe stated that the active (i.e., viral replication) phase always appears to triggers exposure of phosphatidylserine, but that it is currently unknown whether cells in which the virus has become dormant, or ‘latent’, will continue to have exposed phosphatidylserine.

So I guess the current thinking is that anti-ps would be used along with HAART? It seems at this point it's still speculative as far as how specifically it would work since it's not known if latent HIV would trigger exposure of ps.

Offline veritas

« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2009, 01:11:16 pm »

Inch,

Don't come to any conclusions yet. Remember, CHAVI is working with much more powerful anti-ps mabs than  the 3g4 antibody being used in the clinical trial.  I believe we will be pleasantly surprised!

It's Happening !!

v

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »
veritas I thought about adverse effects or toxicity of bavituximab.
and toxic?

Offline veritas

« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2009, 04:59:54 pm »

braziliaman,

The safety data from all the trials thus far has been top-line.
Minimal  adverse reactions.
v

Offline veritas

« Reply #312 on: July 14, 2009, 08:09:29 am »

Bavituximab Anti-Viral Program

The company continued to advance the bavituximab anti-viral program:

--  Received major validation of the broad anti-viral potential of the
        company's anti-PS antibody platform with the publication of data in
        Nature Medicine showing that its PS-targeting drug bavituximab can cure
        lethal virus infections in animal disease models.
    --  Entered into a five-year contract potentially worth up to $44.4 million
        with the Department of Defense's Defense Threat Reduction Agency
        (DTRA), and ramped up activities under this contract to assess
        bavituximab and other anti-PS antibodies for biodefense applications
        against viral hemorrhagic fevers.
    --  Continued to enroll and dose patients in an ongoing Phase I clinical
        trial of bavituximab in hepatitis C virus infected patients co-infected
        with HIV.
    --  Was awarded a U.S. patent that includes broad claims covering anti-viral
        applications of antibodies that directly bind to aminophospholipids,
        including PS.

--  Reported that the company's anti-PS technology was positively
        highlighted in scientific sessions at the AIDS Vaccine 2008 conference
        in Cape Town, South Africa.

http://www.peregrineinc.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

ITS HAPPENING!!!

v

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2009, 10:16:16 am »

Offline veritas

« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2009, 05:02:57 pm »
braziliaman,

The FOCUS paper on hiv has not been published yet.

v
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:04:55 pm by veritas »

Offline elf

« Reply #315 on: July 20, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »
Oi brazilianman, como a gente pode ajudar você?
A gente não tem nenhuma influência no âmbito de pesquisas, infelizmente.  :'(
As pesquisas vão pingando, pros cientistas é quase um hobby, e pra nós que esperamos,
uma coisa muito séria...Se eles tivessem um prazo, logo logo achariam a cura definitiva...(tipo, se os et's falassem: achem uma cura em 5 anos ou vamos acabar com sua raça)...Infelizmente, deveria ter mais dindim à disposição, os laboratórios recebem pouca grana. E não tem interesse dos governos...Baita pena. :(

um baita beijo, a kiss from Europe
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:28:49 pm by elf »

Offline veritas

« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:51 am »

elf,

Please translate the above post for the benefit of all.

Thanks,

v

Offline Matts

« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2009, 05:43:01 am »
B. Haynes patent on using different Mabs; PS/PE against HIV:
(WO/2009/025864) "METHODS OF TREATING AND PROTECTING AGAINST HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS"  Link PDF 118pages

HIV Neutralization ID50 in PBMC Assay: tables on page 39 f. (2F5,13H11,5A9, PPHM Bavituximab, Erbitux (ImClone,BMS,Merck) Anti-CL IS1,4,6 and others

Summary:
What the present studies show is that humans can spontaneously make anti-lipid antibodies and that these antibodies can broadly neutralize HIV in an unprecendented manner.

Summarizing, autoimmune disease patients can make antibodies that bind to virus-infected cells and, presumably, to budding HIV virions by virtue of their reactivity to HIV membranes and host membranes. Certain anti-lipid antibodies from autoimmune disease patients can also react with the Envelope trimer (such as IS6) but not all of the antibodies react also with the trimer (i.e., IS1 and IS4 do not react). Therefore, reactivity with the HIV envelope is not a prerequisite for neutralization in these antibodies.

These studies also demonstrate that it may be possible to safely stimulate the production of IS1 like antibodies in humans using gp41 lipid complexes.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:46:11 pm by Matts »
Dovato

Offline veritas

« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2009, 06:38:35 am »

NICE FIND Matts !!!

That patent seems to be an addition to the patent in the fourth post to this thread!

It's Happening !

Thanks for posting ----- Hopefully,soon we will all see the back-up behind these patents. Timely post.

v

Offline elf

« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2009, 05:42:09 pm »
elf,

Please translate the above post for the benefit of all.

Thanks,

v
Well, basically brazilianman wants to know if this forum has any influence on HIV research, I told him no...The forum is informal, and it's about seeking advice on HIV. I wish we had any influence on HIV research and pharmaceutic companies decisions. :(

Offline OhioGuyHere26

« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:12 pm »
Dear Veritas

I have been following all your post for some time now.  I wanted to thank you for providing links, information, and optimism.  I will continue to follow your post and links.  I’m supporting both your effort and hope.

By the way, is CHAVI on board with testing phases yet?

Also, if you have your own Blog or utube pertaining to these topics, please let me know: I like to join them as well.

Sincerely

Offline xman

« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2009, 07:13:36 pm »
By the way, is CHAVI on board with testing phases yet?

No only a HCV/HIV coinfection trial is ongoing and it is in phase I. We will see the results at the old folks home if we will be still alive and not six feet under for HAART toxicities.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:08:41 pm by xman »

Offline veritas

« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2009, 09:28:25 am »

Ohio,

Thankyou for your kind words.

I believe there is a real opportunity here for a breakthrough since CHAVI was able to muster the first-line hiv researchers in the world to get together to find a vaccine and a cure. When you have the likes of Haynes,Thorpe, Muni, Alam, Moody, Marx, Letvin,Montefiori,Shattock, Yang et al.( See link.}, all working for a common cause, that's gotta be GOOD. It also helps to have the backing of the Gates Foundation ( no mon. /no fun)

https://chavi.org/modules/chavi_invest/index.php?id=38

To answer your question as to CHAVI clinical trials ---- the answer is yes and no. CHAVI is comprised of 10 different cores, all researching different avenues to a vaccine and cure( see: https://chavi.org/modules/chavi_cores/index.php?id=1). As the various cores develop their theories. these theories are tested in vitro and in vivo. So there has been clinical trials in humans (see: https://chavi.org/modules/chavi_trials/index.php?id=1.
What we are all waiting for is  the final product, where all the best theories are brought together in the form of a vaccine or cure to be tested in vivo.... CHAVI will not release any information until they dot every i and cross every t. I anticipate your next question is WHEN! An exact timeline I can't give you, but its closer than we think. Watch for the FOCUS paper in "Nature Medicine" on hiv.

To answer your last question, I chose this forum to develop this thread to reach as many HIV positive people as possible to give them hope and to show that  a cure and a vaccine is being worked on diligently and co-operatively. I knew that I would get some flak using the HOLY GRAIL analogy, but it did get the necessary attention so that quite a few members and guests are reading and following  the thread. I hope it's done some good.

Some believe a vaccine and cure will never be found, I'm not a member of that camp. I know:

IT"S HAPPENING !!!

Stay Healthy,

v

Offline riptide

« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2009, 09:52:31 am »
This is some very good stuff but if it was working to combat HIV in addition to HEP C it would be "fast tracked" and we would be hearing more. It would be big news. But so far nothing other than "It could work" pretty much.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and we'll see.
 I would love to hear more about Gene therapy. It worked in phase I/II trials but no other news. That seems to hold more promiss for treatment of HIV at the moment. What about the guy who found the "Achilles heel" who has a vaccine? Or the guys that "out flank the virus like a general commanding troops" in monkeys? What is happening with those studies? It kills me there isnt more information on this stuff.
Luc Montagnier says likely 4 to 5 years before we'll have vaccines that works but he doesnt comment further. That was a year ago...I'd like to think this guy knows what the hell he is talking about. I just wish there was more information and forward progress. Right now it doesnt seem that way to me.
I hope I am wrong. They have to find a way to get us off the meds.

Offline veritas

« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2009, 11:32:40 am »

riptide,

Funny you asked:

"The present invention relates to viral constructs suitable for use as vaccine vectors for a number of infections including, but not limited to, small pox, West Nile virus,HIV-1,TB, malaria, anthrax and plague.
The vectors can be used, for example, in prime/boost regimins to induce protective and/ or therapeutic immune response to the encoded antigen(s)"

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/92/9a/8e/049a8e.pdf

IT'S HAPPENING !!!!!!

v

Offline riptide

« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:33 am »

Looks good but its from a few years ago....Is it in any trials to date besides animals? It should have moved forward into some kind of testing by now.

Offline veritas

« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:20 pm »

riptide,

Please re-read post to Ohio above as to how CHAVI  progresses in clinical trials.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2009, 01:31:20 pm »
  Watch for the FOCUS paper in "Nature Medicine" on hiv.                                                            

Do you know when this is expected? I trust you'll report back when it comes out?  ;)

Offline veritas

« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2009, 01:39:53 pm »

Inch,

It has already been submitted for publication and is presently being reviewed. The exact date for publication -------- ?.

v

Offline OhioGuyHere26

« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2009, 05:07:16 pm »
     I thought I might share a bit of OTHER information out there on the web and in other laboratories.   Perhaps some of you have already found this and perhaps even followed the stories.  Nonetheless it’s just a bit of other information. 

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/aids36.18565.html

http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/NWkmsb20080730_hiv_breakt-hrough.1971ecbd.html

Sincerely

Offline riptide

« Reply #330 on: July 23, 2009, 06:23:18 pm »
Ohioguy- Thats a story I was talking about in my previous post. Dr. Paul Sadhir and his crew at UT have developed a couple vaccines but as of now,  7/09  lack the funding needed to go into any type of trials >:(

Offline xman

« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »
Sorry for repeating but what most people here don't consider is that all this great findings are all preliminary study, theories that need scientific evidence which is far away from our actual reality. Clinical trials take years to be completed. The study mentioned above didn't even reach phase I. Researchers and scientists knows that if a trial hasn't at least reached phase II/III, forget it or consider it a theorical approach which needs 5-7 years for reaching the market if ever. It's not to be pessimistic but all this discoveries and studies have been made billions of times over the last 25 years of the epidemic with results that are under the eyes of everyone. There's still nothing to cure HIV or to prevent transmission. As I said in other threads we have to wait at least 10-15 years to be optimistic to see something new in treatment.

Also in my opinion all this testing on animals is a great waste of time since animals react differently to drugs and their viruses are similar but not the same of humans. It is a way to push an industry of laboratory and testing tools and experimentation facilities. Not to mention the ethical aspects involved.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:21:24 pm by xman »

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2009, 07:14:18 pm »
for all
e-mail   dr.Sudhir Paul:
 <Laura.Nixon@uth.tmc.edu>
<Sudhir.Paul@uth.tmc.edu>

Offline veritas

« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2009, 05:41:40 am »

Ohio,

This thread is for anti-ps and related info. If you want to post about other research please do so , but start another thread. The information becomes confusing to follow if we don't stay on-topic.

Thanks,

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2009, 05:52:51 am »

xman,

Not only is your thinking faulty and uninformed, it's just plain wrong. I suggest you do more research and not make statements based on your emotions. I suggest you start with the definition of a scid mouse. Please start your own thread.

v

Offline xman

« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »
xman,

Not only is your thinking faulty and uninformed, it's just plain wrong. I suggest you do more research and not make statements based on your emotions. I suggest you start with the definition of a scid mouse. Please start your own thread.

v

unfortunately your researches are very promising but far away from practical applications. we can't benefit from those studies yet and no one nows if we will ever. as i said bavituximab is in a phase 1 clinical trial for hiv and hcv that is still ongoing. we don't know the results. in theory they should be good. as you admitted research is not in our timeline which is exactly what i'm talking about. there's not even one drug or compound ready for use which works differently from actual haart therapies. your entusiasms is well accepted but please don't exceed in optimism and be realistic. the concern for the lack of new drugs for the resistant patients is real and even at ias 2009 the predictions for new treatments and breakthroughs in vaccine developments are seen with scepticism. the actual situation is dramatic concerning new treatments in the pipeline since there's noting in the final testing phases. 

Offline xman

« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »
Luc Montagnier says likely 4 to 5 years before we'll have vaccines that works but he doesnt comment further. That was a year ago...I'd like to think this guy knows what the hell he is talking about.

This kind of announcements were made many times in the past. I remember when Nancy Reagan in 1985 claimed it would be a matter of 2 years to find a vaccine against AIDS. Well now in 2009 we know that Mrs. Reagan was totally wrong. Personally I find those statements unresponsible and insensitive considering all of us hoping desperately in a cure. It is also dangerous because people feel less the need for prevention. Montagnier should spend more time in the labs and stay less in TV studios and conference rooms.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:20:46 pm by xman »

Offline veritas

« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2009, 02:39:26 pm »

xman,

This is the last time I will respond to you. Evidently your search for clinical trials in phase lll  for hiv didn't go far enough. See the following:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152938.php

Please do not post on this thread off topic. This thread is dedicated to anti-ps. Start your own thread.

v

Offline xman

« Reply #338 on: July 24, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »
xman,

This is the last time I will respond to you. Evidently your search for clinical trials in phase lll  for hiv didn't go far enough. See the following:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152938.php

Please do not post on this thread off topic. This thread is dedicated to anti-ps. Start your own thread.

v

I'm not off topic. You're. I was talking about Bavituximab and you mentioned now the Avexa drug which is nothing else than an NRTI addition. We will not defeat the bug with this. Sorry but I don't see the scoop.

This single phase III trial shows the tremendous decrease in the new HAART arsenal.

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2009, 08:51:02 am »
elf será que voce poderia traduzir para mim, meu inlges e de iniciante ainda. por favor.

vejo que em qualquer forum tem sempre os otimistas e os pessimistas, claro que o veritas é um otimista, não digo isso só por esse embate mas por todos comentarios dele até agora. sim,  o xman é um pessimista e falo isso pelo mesmo motivos que me levaram a pensar que o veritas é um otimista, pelo simples fato da postar mais comentários ruins do que bons. o xman está certo em alguma colocações, penso que existe uma midia entorno dessas supostas novidades, empresas querendo aumentar suas ações e pesquisadores querendo seus 5 mimutos de fama e etc.... mas uma coisa e indicutível NUNCA na história da humanidade uma doença teve tamanha pesquisa em volta dela, falo dos achados que ultimamente tem acontecido, pesquisem a descoberta da penicilina e a maioria vai perceber que além de sorte houve o trabalho, pro caso do hiv o que tem hoje em dia é muito trabalho falto-nos um pouco de sorte, falo da sorte de um cientista descobrir aquilo que fará toda diferença no tratamento. mas concordo com  o veritas que em breve teremos notícias animadoras. se a cura aparecer em 5,10,15 ou 20 anos podem ter ceteza eu vou estar vivo pra usufrir dela.

Offline veritas

« Reply #340 on: July 25, 2009, 11:00:26 am »

brazilianman,

From what little I can translate from your post, you have asked elf to translate  to english. I appreciate that,  because the overwhelming majority of readers speak english. I hope elf will accomodate your request because I am not sure what you are asking or the points you are trying to make. Let's see if this arrangement can work out.

v

Offline xman

« Reply #341 on: July 26, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »
Brazilianman,

Even if I don't speak spanish or portoguese I know very well italian and I understand from your post some missleading considerations about me telling that I'm pessimistic. This is not true! I'm quite realistic indeed. And I'm not alone. Peter Staley, one of the founders of this website agrees too that we are not close to a cure. It can take several years.

Older HIV+ folks know very well the number of disappointments in AIDS research during the last 25 years. As I said before I appreciate the effort of veritas in posting news about the research doing and specifically for bavituximab which seems a good possibility but it needs to be fully proven. Also Bavituximab could be an HAART addition and not a cure.

Without results I don't find it advisable to create hopes for something that is not yet in our reach. For Bavituximab we are only in phase I and Peregrine will not plan further trials before there are encouraging results. If we are lucky it will reach phase III in 2015 and hopefully also for HIV.

Please read the following thread about the chances of something potent coming out soon:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26272.0

Offline veritas

« Reply #342 on: July 26, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »

xman,

I'm breaking my own rule not to respond to you because of your mis-representation of facts not only concerning Bavituximab and what Perigrine is doing, but also your conclusions. Perigrine is studying Bavituximab in the setting of Hepc as the main target, whereby, if you had taken the trouble to review their pipeline you could have come to that conclusion.

Also, if you have read this thread with the appropriate comprehension, you would realize that it is CHAVI doing the research directly for hiv using Perigrine's second generation anti-ps mabs. The Hepc/hiv co-infection trial will only further validate anti-ps, as the cancer trials have already done, which by the way are already in phase ll.

Since you don't really understand how anti-ps works, let me reiterate that anti-ps does not go after the virus directly, nor does it go after cancer directly. It's target is the inverted ps on the stressed cells. So if anti-ps works in any one of the settings being studied, theoretically it should work for all and that is what has to be proven. By the way, bavituximab has proven better than Avastin (the gold standard for cancer therapy} if you compare both phase l studies for efficacy and safety. The preliminary data from the phase ll cancer trials show Bavituximab superior to Avastin phasell studies. Can you connect the dots?

Now lets look at your timelines. You seem to be all over the place any where from 5 to 20years for new therapies in your various posts. Which is it? The answer is no-one knows exactly and if you re-read this entire thread you will find I have not made any predictions with respect to a timeline.But I'll tell you that should anti-ps get fast-tracked, the wait for anti-ps as a therapeutic for at least one indication will be less than 5 years. That indication could be cancer or viral. Also, you might want to look -up the FDA's animal rule with respect to a multi-faceted therapy and how quickly a new therapy can be approved under that protocol.

Have you ever heard the saying: Past performance doesn't assure future result? That is a frequent quote on Wall Street which can also apply to research. Because a cure,vaccine or kinder gentler therapy hasn't been found doesn't mean it won't be found. As far as I'm concerned your pessimism is legendary and as for me I will not join the ranks of the defeated no matter who they are!

v

Offline xman

« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2009, 06:57:08 pm »
Also, if you have read this thread with the appropriate comprehension, you would realize that it is CHAVI doing the research directly for hiv using Perigrine's second generation anti-ps mabs. The Hepc/hiv co-infection trial will only further validate anti-ps, as the cancer trials have already done, which by the way are already in phase ll.

Since you don't really understand how anti-ps works, let me reiterate that anti-ps does not go after the virus directly, nor does it go after cancer directly. It's target is the inverted ps on the stressed cells. So if anti-ps works in any one of the settings being studied, theoretically it should work for all and that is what has to be proven.

I was reading the CHAVI trials list page and I wasn't able to find any trials related to anti-ps and HIV. Even on the clinicaltrials.gov page there's only the Peregrine trial listed. If you have a direct link for the trials please post it. Peregrine replied that they are waiting for the results of the currently ongoing phase I trial for HCV/HIV and they will maybe continue with further trials.

veritas, your posts contains many if's. If anti-ps works in any of the settings studied..., if it will be fast tracked..., if, if, if. There's really nothing certain for now. All theories. Let us wait for the first results which will not come out tomorrow. Until then all considerations are pure speculations.

I have another useful link about the treatment developments in the last years and the years to come. Bavituximab is not even mentioned:

http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/assets/0/16/42/196/198/bfb084dd-e770-4319-8df1-a0efbea7a08d.pdf
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:01:42 pm by xman »

Offline veritas

« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:54 pm »

xman,

You just don't get it. Now I won't waste anymore time with you. Please do not post on this thread anymore. Start your own.

v

Offline xman

« Reply #345 on: July 27, 2009, 06:23:49 pm »
xman,

You just don't get it. Now I won't waste anymore time with you. Please do not post on this thread anymore. Start your own.

v

Yes I probably don't get it but you are putting too much hope in something that is not even in phase III trials and needs to answer a lot of questions yet.

Offline veritas

« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:14 am »

Dr. Thorpe to speak at IBC & GRC Conf’s

Dec6-10 2009: IBC’s 20th Annual Intl. Conf – “Antibody Engineering & Immunotherapeutics for the 21st Century”, SanDiego
Session VIII: Engineering Antibodies to Improve Cancer Therapy
Chair: Dr. Louis Weiner, Dir., Lombarbi Comprehensive C.C., Georgetown Univ. MC
Dec10 3:45pm: Philip E. Thorpe (PhD, UTSW-MC): “Targeting Exposed PS on Cancer Blood Vessels & Viruses”
Abstract: Phosphatidyserine (PS) is confined to the inner leaflet of the plasma membrane in resting mammalian cells. It becomes exposed on tumor blood vessels and on virus-infected cells in response to cell activation and oxidizing stresses. We had developed therapeutic monoclonal antibodies that cause innate immune cells to target & destroy PS-expressing tumor blood vessels and virus-infected cells. Bavituximab, our leading anti-PS antibody, is showing good efficacy in clinical trials.
http://www.ibclifesciences.com/upload/wysiwyg/drug_discovery_series/D9172/D9172agenda.pdf

IT"S HAPPENING !!!

v

Offline veritas

« Reply #347 on: July 30, 2009, 10:39:31 am »

Matts,

You asked what is happening with DITRA with Bavituximab in an earlier post:

DTRA wants a broad spectrum anti-viral that will work against multiple viral diseases, even if they have not been seen before or identified. They think they may have it in bavituximab, and in order to test  the mAb they have contracted Peregrine for up to $44.4 million. This constitutes one of their largest bio-research contracts.

If they do confirm that this mAb has this capability, they will apply for emergency approval, which FDA will grant, and Peregrine Pharmaceuticals will have an approved fully human version of bavituximab ready to market commercially for the treatment of multiple viruses. What would be the further possibilities for an approved fully human bavi mAb in other indications at that point?

IT'S HAPPENING !!!

v

ps: you asked why we haven't heard? How about this:

http://esignal.brand.edgar-online.com/EFX_dll/EDGARpro.dll?FetchFilingPDF1?SessionID=GdAFWJ3XXzpGD7h&ID=6704132

Offline veritas

« Reply #348 on: July 30, 2009, 10:59:47 am »

Another study --- it's the anionic lipids again:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19400584?ordinalpos=1&itool=Email.EmailReport.Pubmed_ReportSelector.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"We concluded that TAT peptides are not incorporated into but rather floating on lipid bilayers, but they immerged deeper into the headgroup domain of anionic lipids. "

v

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #349 on: July 30, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »
veritas. you could translate.

what is tat? which is lipid bilayers? how it works? and how it will help us?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.