POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 04:04:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620543
  • Total Topics: 46756
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hamartia  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
Hamartia
« on: March 06, 2007, 04:39:01 AM »
In Greek tragedy, the word ""Hamartia"" can be translated as a flaw or mistake.  Another (better) explanation for  ""Hamartia"" could be the idea of "missing the mark!"  And the reason why I chose to make use of this renowned Greek word is very simple:
--- By trying to set something straight,  and without any aggressive manners on my part at first, I was completely misunderstood and attacked vehemently by another forum member,  namely Matty.le.Damné ---

Now, first things first! The main purpose of the thread ""For Matty...and Benj...aka..."" was the concern I felt towards Alexander's health (SASA39) who I've been helping from the beginning. Be aware that there are some things you (reader)  don't know (and will not know) regarding this subject.  Anyway, I was perhaps the very first person to reply to his posts and am doing my best to get his trust, friendship and, most of all, get him out of the awful situation he finds himself in right now.   It is my opinion that only one other member, namely Philly, is getting the whole picture as I do, even though Alexander tells me other people have chimed in to help. By the way, I'd like to apologize right away to Alexander if I reveal somethings that he may wish to keep secret.  I'll do my best not to. But, for your information, I was ready to jump on a plane and go to Belgrade visit him.  I begged Alexander for his telephone number so I could calm him down...

And before any of you come out calling me Mother Teresa or some other stuff that I am not, let me tell you that I went through more or less the same hardships  Alexander tells me about way back in the early 1980!  So, this should explain why I took interest in his plight and tried to lend a helping hand. 
However, I happened to notice that in the thread ""Ungraceful death"" started by Alexander, two of our members that I do like and admire started "throwing hot potatoes" in the air regarding a particular subject that I take interest in: ""Europe""
And that's when I decided to create a new topic, for I didn't want to hijack the ""Ungraceful death"" thread!  Besides, another member, namely Elisabeth if I am not mistaken, had already told them (Benj and Matty and the others replying to that thread) that the subject being discussed was not ""politics!""

The main purpose I had in mind when creating the new thread was basically informative.  I will spell it right here, right now: i-n-f-o-r-m-a-t-i-v-e!  ""Informative"" is not the same thing as ""educational""  And even though I do accept responsibility for being clumsy and akward about the ways I chose to do it, there was no intention whatsoever on my part about being provocative and throw some flame-baiting subjects in there.  And, you know what, I did throw some flame-baiting words in my post --- and so did Matt and Benj in the ""Ungraceful death"" thread way before. 
You see, I am a straightforward kinda guy!  I do own what I say and no matter what the consequences are  for me.  It has always been like this and there should be no reason for me to change that at the ripe age of 43!
When I state in my post that ...""I am French and no hypocrite"", I know that some people may feel concerned about that.  In my mind, though, what I am saying is exactly what some very celebrated, famous writers have stated in the past better than I will ever do it!  Take Schopenhauer, for example.  He affirmed that...

---"" We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people!""

When I share my repudiating feelings towards religion in general, I am not attacking anyone.  I never did.  I disrespect and abhorre "religions", not the human beings who choose to follow a certain sect, denomination, etc.  So, someone may feel my way of seeing things against their principles and I think that's fine.  However, do not expect me to be part of the herd that, in order to be accepted,  or,  even worse, in order to fit in the clique/team, will sell their souls just like Goethe's character, ""Faust"".

When, at the bottom of my first reply in the thread I create (For Matty and...),  I mentioned some of the reasons I thought worthwhile mentioning to explain some of the reasons why (perhaps) Europeans have this tendency of criticizing Americans, I mentioned ""religion"" and stated it in a very simple tense:  ""Conditional""  In fact, I used the sentence: ""I'd say"" at the end of the first line.  Who am I anyway to affirm things I really am not certain about? 
I also chose to add some particular words in that sentence such as ""and it is okay, or, it is their right..whatever""  Actually, I don't remember it anymore. 
And here again I wanted to call Schopenhauer to my help, for he defines beautifully and in a unequivocal manner my thoughts about regilion:

--- ""Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think.""

Now, regarding some of the replies I read in my thread all I wanna say is this:

The human mind is an awfully brilliant machine.  It skips over things it does not feel much concern about, and it focus only on selective articles, things, sentences and the likeable  attractions.  Therefore, I will not point out any particular member who responded to that, knowning only too well that the ""clique/team""  machine has been put on full alert! 
What pains me regarding all this once more is that people will be people and, consequently, will behave just like  they are supposed to.  I stated in this regard something to a forum member that HIVers claim that their lives have changed (myself included) for better; that they see the world and things and people now from a different angle; and, therefore, are new born kinda beings and so on...  I said that it was all bullshit and, of course, got some nasty replies in exchange!   The proof for what I stated is right here in this forum --- by far my favourite even though I do check in at some other ones ---  where almost on a daily basis one has to struggle to stay out of trouble!  No one believes in no one.

When I say I did not start the post ""For Matty..." with the intention of being aggressive, educational, throwing flame-baits all over the place and getting people to change their minds and adopt mine, what does it take for you reader to believe in me?  Is there some other way of saying ""NO?""  Rape, this horrible thing that happens with a n enormous frequency in our society, will help me to clarify things in this sense: ""NO is NO!""    No matter what the raper says afterward!  So, especially to ""Daddy Tim"" to whom I sent a PM and will declare right here that I will not respect him anymore the way I did in the past, for I think he jumped to conclusions way before getting any facts, the message I wanna send is a clear-cut, clean-cut, true one:  ""Once again I did not do anything that you may accept as reality just for fighting!""

I hate fights and usually strive to stay away from them.  I, like many people here, like Matty and Benjamin.  The proof, just for fun 'cos I really don't have to do this:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=9266.0

However, if you do pick a fight with me you'd better be well-prepared for the rest...  This is no threat.  It is the reality! Matty.le.Damné (and Benj) was fortunate enough I was not having a bad day.  He is also very lucky that English is not my native language!  I would tear himself and his selfish allegations to pieces had  I felt the need of  doing it.  Actually, I almost did, for he attacked Joemutt on my thread.  It is okay by my rules to attack me 'cos I can handle his shit! Not Joe!
But, I was having a good day... You see reader, French is a very academic language and it has this property of being very precise.  Unlike English whose vocabulary is immensely rich, therefore, complicated and hard to grasp.  This is a fact! So, it may even seem to you that I am pedant in the selection of my vocabulary in English, but French --- and in a minor degree, Portuguese --- is always there trying to get the upper hand!

There you have, then, some of the facts.  The picture, though, is not complete and never will.  My main concern in  all that has happened was to set some things straight and correct some false alllegations.  So, I chose to single out two persons knowing that I could not hijack the other thread.  In doing so, I made mistakes and am sorry --- it is the truth --- for that. 
The language I used in my last reply to Matty is more than acceptable to him and I know it.  He can handle the truth just like I do! However, I was accused of being arrogant!  For those people who thought in this manner about my reply, I would suggest (not ask, not tell, not compell them to) that they go back and read Matt's reply to me and reflect on what their own replies would look like. 
I am no moron, stupid and retarded.  When I first joined AidsMeds, I thought it was okay to be sarcastic, ironic and joke just about anything.  Well, I learned it the hard way!  You can notice, reader, that in most of my posts there is no space for irone, jokes and the like.  Why?  Because I do have a very distinct, dry sense of humour that would easily unruffle some feathers around here. 
If there is anything I could say to all of you before finishing this post, it is that I am what I am i.e.   I am not a fake character and I am not false.  Whenever I have something to say, I'll  say it and I will own it all the way.  Accuse me of anything you'd like, but not make-believe, falsehood and so on in order to fit in.

I don't wanna fit in!  If by any chance one day I find out I belong to a certain ""High School"" clique/team, and knowing myself only too well, I will do my best to go against the flow and be thrown out of it.  I am strong and I am free!  Just the opposite of what being part of a ""clique/team"" means.

Val
___
___
P.S. Boo, I will make an exception and will reply to you directly right here.  I will mention anything about the State of Israel at any given time I feel like in these forums.  By doing so, "should I be called an anti-semitic?""  Is the State of Israel, which by the way I adore, untouchable?""   ""Is this just out?""Get on with your life and stop wasting your time 'cause you don't know what your talking about, really.  The mention of Israel in that post was also to complement what I was saying about The European Union. And, you know what, it is the truth, nothing but the truth.  There should be no untouchable countries besides the U.S.A.!  Peace to you.

Edit to add some precious details and some, perhaps too much typos...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:20:52 AM by Val »
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: Hamartia
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 01:50:51 PM »
I like cabbage.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »
You're exceptionally good at flame baiting, aren't you?

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:38:09 PM »
P.S. Boo, I will make an exception and will reply to you directly right here.  I will mention anything about the State of Israel at any given time I feel like in these forums.  By doing so, "should I be called an anti-semitic?""  Is the State of Israel, which by the way I adore, untouchable?""   ""Is this just out?""... The mention of Israel in that post was also to complement what I was saying about The European Union. And, you know what, it is the truth, nothing but the truth.  There should be no untouchable countries besides the U.S.A.!  Peace to you.

Thanks for the special attention!  I am honored.

I didn't say you are an anti-Semite, I asked why you specifically mentioned Israel.  The USA has propped up military regimes and supplied money and weapons to many countries with atrocious human rights records, so I still don't see why you point out Israel above all others.  You could have complemented your incisive EU commentary with mention of several other countries, even pointing out the USA funded bin Laden in Afghanistan for years, but you didn't.  If you don't understand why someone might question your negative singular reference to Israel it's not my fault. 

What's this BS about being "untouchable (whatever that means)?"  Nothing I wrote even remotely hints the USA is "untouchable."  I didn't say anything about your criticism of Israel, just asked why Israel alone was mentioned.  Unless you're talking about the traditional Indian caste system I don't know what an "untouchable" is.

Quote from: Val
Get on with your life and stop wasting your time 'cause you don't know what your talking about, really.

Thanks for that gratuitous slur, Val.  You certainly cleared up several questions about yourself, really. 

Peace out,

Boo

P.S.     your = 2nd person possessive pronoun
        you're = contraction of "you are"
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
Val, whatever your stated intentions to the contrary this is just going to stir the same pot that was simmering in your other thread. Essentially I see this as inviting a rehash of the same positions all over again. 

In starting your thread with this opener: "By trying to set something straight,  and without any aggressive manners on my part at first, I was completely misunderstood..." is equal to lighting a match when you smell gas just to get a better view of things.

My very strong suggestion is that you shift your attention and energies to other concerns relevant in this Forum and just let this matter rest.

To that end I am locking this thread before it goes one word further from anyone.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 04:47:42 PM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.