HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

is this a problem

(1/3) > >>

mitko123:
I have sex with sexworker it was all protected but after that I understand that the condom was with Nonoxynol-9. Is it more risky?

thank you

Andy Velez:
Do not use condoms with Nonoxynol-9. Studies have shown that rather than protecting against HIV transmission it can increase the possibility of transmission. Originally sold as a preventive to HIV transmission and pregnancy it actually does neither.

The greater risk is to the receptive partner as an irritant in the vaginal or anal area during intercourse.

As the wearer the risk to you would be questionable but nevertheless using these should definitely be avoided in the future.

mitko123:
I dont undestand you?
What is me chances? Do you think that i need a test for this incident

Ann:
mitko,

No, you do not need to test over this incident. You used a condom and so you were protected against hiv infection.

As Andy says, it is the receptive partner who stands to be more at risk of hiv infection through the use of condoms that have N-9 on them. Even then, the risk would only really come into play if the condom broke and infected ejaculate ended up inside the N-9 irritated anus or vagina.

It's just a good idea to stay away from condoms that contain N-9.

And once again, just for clarity's sake, you do not need to test over this protected incident. However, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

You don't need to test over this specific incident unless it is part of a routine, annual check-up. If you've already had your annual check up, you don't need to test at all.

Ann

Andy Velez:
Sorry about that. I should have clarified, but thank goodness Ann did. I was focusing on the problems for your partners.

You were protected during this incident. No testing is necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version