HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Yes - another receptive oral case

(1/6) > >>

mars:
Hello There

This is yet another question about receptive oral sex on a male. I have read so many reports and cases, and have to admit that while I hope the view that receptive oral is extremely low risk, I worry about the so-called documented cases on reads about. The comments made by Dr K and Page Shafer are really encouraging, but I, as I am sure many others do, still fixate on the chance that I could be the exception. Therefore to help get my head around this I would like to ask for your input as it is on my mind all day and night.

I met a pretty Philippino transexual at a party. The bi-attraction I feel is always for TV girls only, but my experience with these is very limited. This ladyboy had been operated on; had no testicles but had a penis (circumcised). We had protected anal sex and I performed fellatio (for the first time ever) on her. In conversation with her, she said that she can have the sensation of an orgasm but doesnt truly ejaculate. At best she may squirt a very little.

In sucking her, I didnt taste any pre-cum or ejaculate (I am told you can always taste it). I have it on good authority that she is a hair dresser and not a bar girl/hooker.

Is the lack of semen in any ejaculate she might have make her safer to have pre-cum or cum in my mouth?

Am I at risk of HIV? Should I get tested? Am I worrying my head of for nothing and simply succumbing to my worst fears. If I get tested at 4 weeks, how conclusive/what percentage of accuracy could this offer.

Sorry. I know you have heard similar stories so amny times and been asked to answer.

Mars

Ann:
Mars,

It's highly unlikely that you would have become infected with hiv in the situation you describe. Giving a blowjob rarely results in hiv infection. Studies of serodiscordant couples have shown us just how rare this is - not one of the negative partners in these studies have tested positive even though they weren't using condoms for oral. Not one. I don't expect you would test positive either.

As for testing, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

To be perfectly honest, you don't really need to test over this specific incident. If you do decide to test, wait at least until six weeks (not four) because the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. If you do test, please consider this the beginning of a life-long habit. As I have already said, as long as you are using condoms for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return negative results. I don't expect you to get anything other than a negative result from the incident you bring to us.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. It does not matter whether the person is a sex worker or a hairdresser or a baker, banker, tailor... whatever. You need to be using condoms for intercourse until you have tested together.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Ann

mars:
Thanks for the reply Ann

Probably what is freaking me is the fact that I am about to take up a new job in the Middle East. Thats the good part, the worrying is that I have to undergo a HIV test to get a work permit. It would be so embarrasing to vacate the position (a high managment one) due to failing the HIV test, not to mention the life consequences of the desease.

I have read reports on the studies you mention, but recall someone challenging the validity of the studies because people with HIV are often on medication that inhibit their infectiousness with others? Could this be the case?

Could the results be simply down to keeping really good oral hygiene?

I know, dumb questions, but as with many contributors on this site, I am trying to work all the questions through in my mind and hope to find some answers.

Thanks for your help Ann

Andy Velez:
Good oral hygiene is always helpful in protecting you.

However, any such details are mostly beside the point which is that instances of transmission via giving oral are very rare and for the most part in those few reports not credibly documented.

When you add into the mix in relation to your specific situation that it was a tranny who doesn't ejaculate it reduces the already very low risk level to even lower.

Go ahead and test at 6 weeks if you need to relieve your concern. (The average time to seroconversion is 22 days) All but the very smallest number who will seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. Given that this was a single incident you're talking about a risk so miniscule that like Ann, I wouldn't even consider testing to be necessary.

I also strongly urge that you lay off of shopping the net for "information," because all it will do is stoke your fears and anxiety to no good purpose.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,

Ann:
Mars,

The Romero study definitely had hiv positive people who were both on meds and off meds, with a wide variety of viral loads. This was also one of the largest and longest lasting studies. Not one person who used condoms for intercourse but not oral became infected.

Saliva has many properties that inhibit and damage hiv. Hiv is a very fragile virus and when it is outside of it's favoured environment, it quickly becomes damaged. All it takes is a difference in pH levels, moisture levels and temperature levels - and please don't forget that the environment of the mouth is extra hostile to hiv because of enzymes and other components that actually attack the membrane of the virus. Our mouths are designed to be very effective barriers to all sorts of pathogens that might enter into the body there.

You have an excellent chance of testing negative. I would be very surprised if you didn't and I fully expect you to test negative. (provided you always use condoms for intercourse - because sexually speaking, unprotected intercourse is how people become infected with hiv.)

That's the bottom line here - use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will remain hiv negative. It really is that simple!

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version