HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Why did doc insist i get hiv test?

(1/8) > >>

OhSoWorried:
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I just got back from the doctor and have been told that i have pneumonia - i'm a healthy 24 yr old heterosexual man. My doctor surprised the hell out of me when she asked me 1) if i'm gay 2) if i'm a needle drug user and 3) if i have hiv. I repeatedly told her no...and she just kept saying are you sure are you sure. And of course i said yes I'm sure. So, I asked her if i should get tested and she said i was in a low risk group so i didn't need to get tested. When i left the hospital the nurse told me the doc said i should get an hiv test with my primary doctor because they don't do them at the hospital for one reason or another.

So. Now I'm basically freaking out! Why would she do this to me? Here are my possible exposures...

Mid July 06 - protected blow job from stripper

Late September 06 - unprotected vaginal sex with a girl "friend"

Early October 06 - protected vaginal sex with a girl i'd recently met

I know what your gonna say - go get tested - My last negative was in Late August which was about 6 weeks after my protected oral exposure. Can you just give my your thoughts on what I've shared with you? Are rapid tests as accurate as standard blood tests, etc. What should i do?

Thanks.

RapidRod:
The CDC is pushing for everyone to get tested and they offer it if you go in to the hospital and some clinics. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/reports/pdf/rr5514.pdf  Yes, the rapid tests are just as good.

411:

--- Quote ---Late September 06 - unprotected vaginal sex with a girl "friend"
--- End quote ---
That's the incident you should be testing for. Not because I think you'll test positive but because it was unprotected and while transmission is harder from female to male it happens, too darn often.

Get a rapid test and be done with it however there's nothing in your post that appears to be anything more than an inquiring probe from your doctor. As Rod says, more doctors are recommending routine HIV tests.

And you should be using protection more effectively than your current practice after all its your health that needs protecting.

Ann:
OhSo,

People are not high risk, activities are. If you've been having unprotected intercourse, that is a high risk activity no matter who you are. ANYONE can have hiv. Anyone.

As 411 pointed out, you need to test at the three month point after your last incident of unprotected intercourse.

There are different types of pneumonia and pneumonia doesn't necessarily mean hiv. However, as you have had unprotected intercourse in the past, you do need to be tested.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

OhSoWorried:
Anne,

Thank you for replying. I know i made a mistake and i'm going to get tested - but i really want to know - do you think i have symptoms of hiv in this pneumonia or was my doctor just covering everything? I'm really worried - if i get tested now while i have pneumonia will that affect my results?  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version