POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636388
  • Total Topics: 48294
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 135
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NHS DENTISTS (NORTH LONDON)UK  (Read 1250 times)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
NHS DENTISTS (NORTH LONDON)UK
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »
Has anyone got a good NHS dentist in North london in Uk who is prepared to treat people who would rather be honest about their status? I realise it is illegal for dentists to turn me down purely because I have HIV but its amazing how many, (227), have found that they all of a sudden have full lists or 'aren't equipped to deal with me'. Need root canal work and a crown on a front tooth desperately,as well as 8 fillings, but need to be sedated. Am on benefits and just can't afford private work. Am going on TV soon as part of a BBC serious documentary on HIV and wish I could get it sorted before. Have tried Eastman,(UCH),Guys,Royal Free and local PCT but no joy,either lack of funding or this is considered non essential. In agony evey day as nerve exposed,any ideas please?
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline carousel

Re: NHS DENTISTS (NORTH LONDON)UK
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »
I am being seen at King's College Hospital's School of Dentistry.  Having said that, they are not going to do naything that is non essential and want to take one of my side teeth out.  The only way I am going to get a crown is if I pay for it.

People are going to be more interested in what you are going to say on the programme, rather than looking at you and thinking that you could do with fillings and a crown.

Kudos on wanting to share your story on the TV.  You could always try not to smile  ;)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:59:12 AM »
If the nerve is exposed & you are in pain, this counts as urgent.
Re the hiv issue, if their lists are open, they're open. To everyone. You report them if they get silly. I might ask a question like "how much experience do you have of treating hiv+ patients?" or summat similar before registering.

North London, quite a big area…these 2, not recommendations, just friends have used - both do emergency care for unregistered nhs patients:
N1 dental surgery

Colindale dental practice

Both are currently accepting charge exempt adults to their non emergency practices too.

If you go to the nhs website you can choose to search by local area/postcode - this will bring up a list of practices, which patients they are currently accepting, & the services they offer  (like Islington PCT and Camden PCT )

There will also be a phone number for a general dental enquiry line, who can give further information, & contact details for the area's PALS team, who can give info + advocacy support.
Your hiv clinic will prob have details of local dental practices too. As a last resort there are also Community Dental Services, designed for people who have difficulty accessing treatment (for whatever health issue) Several of these run specific hiv clinics.
There is usually quite a long waiting list though, & some are better than others - if you want further details, either ask via the phone numbers I mentioned above, or PM me with your PCT area.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 08:23:38 AM by penguin »

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »
Thankyou both.
Have found one due to your suggestions. Getting all work done under sedation and have found out that crown can be paid for if you are on income support.
There is still a big problem with dentists and HIV. i've lost count of the number who told me they 'were'nt set up' for positive people. If you report them,all that happens is they get a nasty letter from the dental practice board. I know legally I didn't have to disclose but morally I would't have felt right.
Work starts 8/3,looking forward to smiling more often
thanks again
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 11:30:56 PM »
You know Tigger, in Australia we have a similar system of public health to your NHS. I don't know if this is any help, but being HIV+ was actually an advantage for me when it came to accessing dental services.

I was given "priority status". :D

And rightly so. If AIDS doesn't qualify one as medically significant then I'm fucked if I know what does.

MtD

Offline Central79

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
There's a dental centre as part of the Mortimer Market centre, it's part of UCH but its by Capper St, off Tottenham Court Road. All they do is HIV dentistry.

Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »
Mortimer Market dental is either already closed or just about to be, so The Eastman tells me. yet another example of HIV services being cut because PCTS are allowed to. Makes my blood boil. Maybe when they do 'red nose day' live I'll demonstrate....people in UK need help too. But they wouldn't show it...

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 04:11:53 AM »
Yes.  I've heard that as well (MM is my clinic).  It's suppose to be closed by April (and probably aren't taking on new patients).  I also heard that Mortimer is now going to do viral load and tcell counts only once a year.  They must have really blown through their budget this year.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 04:45:11 AM »
The nurse saide to me that MM is encouraging people off treatment with high CD4s or on meds and stable, ie undetectable and CD4 is good (enough) to come for routine bloods every 4-6 months, for people where a more frequent test may make a difference, more often. The diagnostics at MM are very good, perhaps leading, it is one of the few clinics that routinely does resistance, sickle cell and G6PD deficiency testing on diagnosis, urine dipstick tests for people on tenofovir, haplotype testing before prescribing abacavir, fasting lipids for people on PIs and vl one month after starting combo (<< everyone should do these last four). But yes, the GUM side of the unit is well overspent and it affects the HIV side.

- matt (6-monther) the newt

Now playing: Cypress Hill, How I Could Just Kill A Man
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »
I go to the Royal free, Ian charleson day centre. Theyr'e pretty good but have noticed services quietly being nibbled away. Trouble is, HIV services used to be the 'gold standard' in healthcare. When PCTs were given the chance to bring all their services into line, most of them chose to cut HIV funding so ALL services were shit rather than pull other departments into line. They were given the option of taking 30% off their budgets, so of course they took it!
What I want to know is this. If there are more of us, living longer, doesn't that mean MORE money is needed?
And wheres the 'ringfenced' funding Mrs Thatcher put in place that was supposed to be untouchable and topped up constantly?
It just seems like HIV/AIDS is no longer the healthcare 'buzzword'. We are no longer a novelty guys, and it feels like we're being herded into a corner to just get on with it.
I write letters, I moan, I stick my head above the parapet but seem to get nowhere.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.