Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Pros and Cons of Starting Treatment Early

<< < (3/3)

Central79:
Hey R2J

I was in the same position as you when I was diagnosed - pretty much in the acute phase. I made the decision not to start treatment based on my initial numbers: CD4 840 (22%) and VL >500,000. Although I was feeling pretty shitty, I knew my VL would drop and I would start feeling better.

Like you said, nobody knows if it's beneficial to start in acute infection. My decision was motivated by the fact I had a good T4 count, like you, and didn't want to start meds maybe 10 years earlier than I'd need to. Nor did I want to take a short course to get my VL down and then stop, opening myself up to resistance issues.

Like you, I wanted to do something - ANYTHING. I hated/hate sitting and waiting. When I was diagnosed, part of me was wishing it was leukaemia (which would have also given me big lymph nodes) just so I could DO something and go through the chemo and be cured, even though my survival may have been worse.

I've calmed down a bit now. Appreciated that I'm in it for the long-haul. My T-cells are still robust a year later and my VL continues to drop - I'm waiting to see where it levels off. I'm trying to get on with my life as best I can, and these forums help with that. Hope you post more.

Take care,

Matt.

bimazek:

for me the numbers will be, and i am not there yet
to start

cd4 under 350

vl over 120,000

% below 14%

and i would get three blood tests before starting on meds
do not trust one test, you might have had a bad day
numbers will jump around

megasept:

--- Quote from: RapidRod on February 17, 2007, 12:34:52 PM ---Man you have a long ways to go before you need to start taking meds. You need to wait till you've have a few blood draws to see where your VL is going to level off at. You may not need meds for several years.

--- End quote ---

I agree with Rod.

8)  -megasept

sdcabincrew74:
You have a long way to go hon just like everyone said.  But if I could do it over I would start around 350-400 ..... for my cd4 that is.  Preservation of your current immune system is important IMHO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version