Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Pros and Cons of Starting Treatment Early

(1/3) > >>

r2j:
Hi everyone! I'm newly infected/diagnosed and wanted to get some bulleted advice on the pros and cons of starting treatment early.

Here's my facts:
-28yo male
-Infected somewhere between November-December
-Seroconversion illness in January lingering into beginning of February
-Diagnosed end of January - initial VL 350000 CD4 715
-VL has since come down to 40000

I have heard strong recommendations to start and to delay treatment. My most recent recommendation from a Doctor was that at this point its purely philisophical whether or not to start treatment since I may have missed the window to start during the acute phase.

I'd love help in sorting through the pros and cons this weekend. I'm making my decision relatively soon as to not miss any windows of opportunity. I'd love help from anyone but specifically would love to hear from someone who was very healthy and started treatment early.. and why they chose to do so.

Thanks!!

r2j:
Hi everyone! I'm newly infected/diagnosed and wanted to get some bulleted advice on the pros and cons of starting treatment early.

Here's my facts:
-28yo male
-Infected somewhere between November-December
-Seroconversion illness in January lingering into beginning of February
-Diagnosed end of January - initial VL 350000 CD4 715
-VL has since come down to 40000

I have heard strong recommendations to start and to delay treatment. My most recent recommendation from a Doctor was that at this point its purely philisophical whether or not to start treatment since I may have missed the window to start during the acute phase.

I'd love help in sorting through the pros and cons this weekend. I'm making my decision relatively soon as to not miss any windows of opportunity. I'd love help from anyone but specifically would love to hear from someone who was very healthy and started treatment early.. and why they chose to do so.

Thanks!!

blondbeauty:
Read alberche´s `posts (two posts) in this thread below.
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7794.0

RapidRod:
Man you have a long ways to go before you need to start taking meds. You need to wait till you've have a few blood draws to see where your VL is going to level off at. You may not need meds for several years.

Ann:
Hi rj, and welcome to the forum.

I've merged the two identical threads you started in two different forums. We'd rather you didn't start identical threads like this. Check out the welcome threads that are found at the top of some of the forums so you can know our posting guidelines. Thanks. ;)

I agree with Rodney - you could go for years without meds. There are an awful lot of considerations to starting meds, like eventual resistance, side-effects and long-term side-effects.

They have yet to conclusively prove that starting so early has any real benefits. We do know there are long-term side effects with some drugs, but other drugs are too new and the data isn't in yet. These drugs are toxic and not something to be taken lightly.

Have a look at some of the other threads both in this forum and some of the others. There are a lot of discussions about starting early vs starting when your numbers suggest you should.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version