Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

First blood work numbers are in. Feedback please!

(1/3) > >>

indyguy:
My doctor called and said the following numbers were in vl 17,000 and 384. He wants me to start Atripla. What are your thoughts? Does this sound right? They took 9 vials of blood and I really trust this guy. He has been very supportive and of course him being gay is a big help. He has about 250 hiv patients.

redhotmuslbear:

--- Quote from: indyguy on February 12, 2007, 08:35:19 AM ---My doctor called and said the following numbers were in vl 17,000 and 384. He wants me to start Atripla. What are your thoughts? Does this sound right? They took 9 vials of blood and I really trust this guy. He has been very supportive and of course him being gay is a big help. He has about 250 hiv patients.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm.... remember this always:  it's your choice, not your doctor's, whether you take meds and what meds you take;  and you need to take those choices based on as much logic and knowledge as possible.

Now, were I in your shoes today, I'd be torn between the CD4 and viral load indicators.  You were not quite at the common trigger point of CD4=350, but damned close;  and the viral load isn't THAT high.  If I didn't start meds now, I would re-test in two or three months with a concrete set of target numbers in mind that would trigger taking meds.

As for the choice of meds, it's nice that there's a one-a-day option;  however, it does contain Sustiva with its potential effects on your nervous system, like feeling hung over or groggy for days as you adjust or not.  Viramune plus Truvada would be a one pill in the AM, two in the PM, combo from the same drug classes and without the CNS effects.... how would the doc feel about that?  would you be able to handle it? 

Best,
David

indyguy:
Well being new to this I have put everything in his hands. He did say I was right on the brink. He also said that if I wanted he would prescribe me a anti-depressant to help with side effects and overall stress of everything. But he said that was up to me. I am a little worried, I suppose that is normal. The deductable is going to be high and on my income that sucks. What to do? :'(

mjmel:
Do it.

Ihavehope:
Hey Indy

Follow your heart and if you trust your doctor then start. It will not hurt you to get another lab test in a month or so to see if they went up or down. If they went up than perhaps you can wait a little longer but your number kind of indicates that it is time. You have the choice to start in a few weeks or in a few months. Did your doctor do a geno test to find out if you are resistant to any drugs? Most people aren't resistant to any drugs but there has been an outbreak of people newly infected who are. Don't read to much into the side-effects because it will only worry you more than u need to.

Al

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version