POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 08:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24267
  • Latest: jpchc
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650118
  • Total Topics: 49625
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Clarification on Oral  (Read 5309 times)

Offline worriedman68

Clarification on Oral
« on: February 10, 2007, 03:40:23 PM »
Hi,

I'm a 39 year old man who had Fingered a woman for 10 minutes and had fellatio for 10+ minutes by a sex worker during my recent visit to India. Also had protected sex from the same person on 12/22/06. I contracted Cold from my son during the last week of Jan but did not develop fever. Worried that I may have contracted HIV, i decided to check for the Antibodies using Oraquick test on 2/6/2006 ( 6.5 weeks). Tested NEGATIVE on the result and was not convinced. Have a minimal itch around my anus and was worried that I may have that beacuse of ANXIETY but did not want to take any chance. Further did ELISA and all STD test on 2/6 and found out the result was NEGATIVE.

Wanted to make sure that:

1)    FELLATIO did not give HIV to me
2)    FINGERING did not pass HIV to me

My result on ELISA and Oraquick is right and that I may not have contracted HIV... Should I retest after 12/13 weeks?

Please advise.....

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »
You didn't need to test in the first place, you were never at risk.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
Worried,

Neither getting a blowjob nor fingering are risks for hiv infection. As Rodney said, you didn't need to test. You are hiv negative. Please check out the Welcome Thread and follow the Transmission Lesson link so you can have a better understanding of how hiv is and is not transmitted.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedman68

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »
Rapid & Ann,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I played safe but reading the welcome thread did find it can transmit through cut or sores. I bite my finger nails and may have a small cut or so, but not aware of that. Is there a risk that I may have carried during fingering. I feed my kids and give them shower. Wanted to make sure that I do not transmit if I have the virus. Does it reflect after 7 weeks or so?. Except for the cold i got from my son and my dr had given me Zirthromax suspecting i may have had STREP, i had no other symptoms in the last 7 weeks.  How effective is my result after 6.5 weeks+.. It is just the anxiety that killls and kind of makes me feel breathe heavy whenever i think about it... Does Zirthromax mask the results of these tests?

Thanks again...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:03:28 AM »
worried,

Fingering is not a risk for hiv infection, regardless of cuts or bitten fingernails. Not one person has ever become infected this way and you will not be the first.

As for your children, even if you were hiv positive, unless you were having unprotected intercourse with them, you would not transmit the virus to them. Hiv isn't easily transmitted and it is certainly not transmitted by everyday, casual contact.

Antibiotics do not alter or affect hiv tests in any way.

You have not had a risk of hiv infection. No way, no how.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedman68

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 04:57:06 AM »
Rapid/Ann,

Is it worthwhile to do a HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus), Proviral DNA by PCR, And HIV Antibody Screen? Just to make sure that I have a 100% mental comfort.

Moreover, I have not seen much article on this in the forum  on the PCR DNA test. Is the test a reliable indicator after 7 weeks?.

I lose sleep thinking of whether there would have been a rare/minimal possibility that I may have contracted?

Still, a little worried...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »
A PCR DNA is not an HIV diagnostic test. If you want to test for the hell of it go ahead it's your dollar. Take the test at 13 weeks from what you thought was your exposure and collect your negative result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
Worried, as you have already been told there is absolutely no basis in HIV science for your concern about HIV transmission. None whatsoever.

I read this as being about guilt and shame over having had this sexual incident. That's a whole other issue and has nothing to do with the realities of HIV transmission in this case.

Torturing yourself is not a sign of higher character on your part nor a love tribute to your family. What it is is destructive. You're a dog like the rest of us and you went straying. You can't undo that. The best thing you can do is to take a deep breath, accept that, let it go and get on with your life.

It's really irrelevant what tests you decide to take because you weren't at risk and inevitably you're going to test negative. If you need to test for your peace of mind then do it. Nothing you have reported would lead me to expect other than a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
Worried,

As you have been told, you don't need to test over this no risk incident.

If you do decide to test, don't use a PCR test. The reason it is not approved for diagnostic purposes is because it has a high rate of FALSE positive results. You don't want to risk one of those.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedman68

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »
Ann/ Rapid,

My wife had cold and fever and had some food today which caused Diarrhea. She had diarrhea within a couple of hours of her food. She has been on medcines from yesterday.

She has had only protected sex with me since 12/26/2006. Has she contracted anything from me or is it from the food she had?. 

Worried again.....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
You said you had protected sex so you know you are eliminated. She should see a doctor if it persists.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »
worried,

She certainly didn't get hiv from you as you haven't had a risk. She may have gotten a cold or flu from you, yes, but not hiv. Her medicines could have caused her diarrhea as well. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

Quit turning your feeling of guilt for having fingered and been blown by another woman into hiv. You didn't have a risk. Period.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedman68

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »
Hi,

Well after all the repeated assuarnces, did again the most stupid thing of going for a DNA PCR test at Labcorp. The most distressing fact is that the results are expected only after 3 - 5 days. Given the fact that this has a high possibility of false positioves, i'm starting to get worried. I have tested using Oraquick at 7+ weeks and found the result NEGATIVE.

This is an "If" question but wanted to know if they declare a false positive, what is the next step to take. Should I meet my personal physician or wait for 4 more weeks and do the 12 week Antibody test?

Another question is that how long does it take to get a DNA PCR result?.

Worried again...

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »
Doesnt matter.  You didnt have a risk.  You are continuing to ask questions regarding a no risk situation.  Read the rules my friend you are heading for a vacation if you persist.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline worriedman68

Re: Worried - No more
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »
 :)

Hello All,

Thanks for the wonderful moral support from Ann, Rapid, Andy and all...

DNA PCR Results - Negative

HIV Blood Test - Negative.

Thank you guys!!!!!

Beginning to feel happy .....

Offline worriedman68

Technical Question on DNA PCR
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 07:40:33 AM »
Hi Ann/ Rapid Road

A general question, I think will benefit all the anxiety and worries guys!!!

Proviral DNA PCR can say if there is a virus present in the body and RNA PCR can say the amount of virus present in the body if infected.

If I had not seroconverted by 60 days and that I had no ARS symproms till then , would the NEGATIVE DNA PCR test be taken as a guideline/standard to determine that I was not HIV infected, as they say that it can detect virus after 28 days?

Please advise..

WorriedMan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 07:49:07 AM »
worried,

The DNA test is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes. The RNA test is approved for diagnostic purposes, but it is NOT to be used as a stand-alone test. In other words, any result from an RNA test must be backed up with ELISA and if positive, also Western Blot testing.

The PCR tests are only supposed to be used when there is a very clear reason to believe a person has been infected. You absolutely do not fall under that description.

You have not had a risk for hiv infection in anything you have brought to this forum. Re-read the replies in your thread. You have NOT had a risk. You don't need to test at all over fingering or a blowjob, never mind with a PCR of any description.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedman68

Do I need a 6 months test?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »
Hello All,

My test results:

Neg Eliza in 6 and 8 weeks and Negative on Rapid HIV 1/2 testing on 6,7,9,11,12 and 13 weeks.

Negative on DNA PCR.

I have periodic ear pain and throat pain for the last 3 months. I have not had any fever.

Is it possible that I may seroconvert after 3 months? Will Azithromycin, Cipro and Roxithromycin delay/dodge the HIV tests? ( My Dr gave 3 diff medicines in the last 3 months - all 1 week doses)

Do i need to test at the end of 6 months?

Thanks,

Worriedman68

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »
You afre conclusively negative.  You do not need to test at 6 months and none of the medication will delay a seroconversion!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:31 AM »
Are you really going to believe anything that is said to you here or will you just go on to the next fear your mind comes up with?

You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You were never at risk for HIV in these incidents to begin with.

Now you're bringing up 6 months for re-testing! Forgetaboutit!

Isn't the real issue here that you're feeling guilty and anxious about having strayed? And that you're going to pass on a virus you don't have and be discovered? Give it up, buddy.There's no HIV issue here.

It's your mind that needs sorting out and not your immune system.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline worriedman68

Is there a risk?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »
Hello,

I had proteted sex with condom and unprotected oral sex with a CSW about 2 weeks back. I developed rashes on the scrotum and was advised by a Physician that it was a Yeast/ Fungal infection and was advised nystatin which subsided the rashes and papules on scrotum and genitals.

Is there a possibility that i could contact HIV? Do I need to test at 90 days?

Thanks... WM

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »
Worried, I have merged your latest thread with your previous ones. Please follow our rules and keep all of your entries in this one thread.

You did just what you're supposed to do. You wore a condom for intercourse. They provide very effective protection. Getting a blowjob is not a risk for HIV transmission. So there was nothing risky in this latest incident as far as HIV is concerned. And there's no need for testing.

Period.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedman68

Is there a risk ?
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
Hello,

Went to a massage parlour and I had fingered a girl with a condom on my fingers ( Vaginal penetration and not deep fingereing) for few seconds. I had later removed the same and the girl tried using the same condom on my penis for oral sex. She tried using the condom and it was on my penis for about 30 seconds or less. I realized the mistake and removed the condomn immediately.

I did not have vaginal sex but used a new condom for oral sex..

Is there a risk possibility since I had reused the condom which i had used for fingering?

The girl claims to have HIV test every 15 days and said she was D & D free..

Do I need to test ? Does HIV virus live when exposed to air..

Thanks,

Worried Man

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
If you haven't taken the time to read the lessons on transmission I suggest you do so. You can find the link in the "Welcome" thread. 

PS. You were never at risk.

Offline worriedman68

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks Rapid Rod,

One last question.. I was little concerned since the condom was reused. Does HIV virus die when exposed to air..

Thanks,

Worried Man

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
Re-using the condom in the manner you have described is irrelevant. You weren't at risk for transmission with that activity.

If you are going to be frantic over your sexual activities you might find it worthwhile to see a therapist or other such professional and discuss why there is so much anxiety for you when you have these experiences. HIV is not the issue as long as you always use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse. But you don't seem to transfer knowledge and information from one incident to another. So the issue to me seems to be your feelings rather than any real risk for HIV transmission. Get yourself some professional help is my suggestion. We can't provide that for you here.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedman68

Clarification on Oral
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 06:58:44 PM »
Hi,

Now being very precautious, I got a protected Oral job and performed protected fingering with a CSW recently. The only direct contact was when she performed oral job on testicles and I was sucking her nipples. Is there a a risk for HIV on these actions?

Thanks,

W

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Clarification on Oral
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 07:40:32 PM »
Worriedman

Once again your posts have been merged, please keep all your question in this thread from now on..thank you.

The answer to your last question is no, this is not an HIV situation..please read the Welcome Thread and follow the lessons on how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.