Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

Drugs, alcohol, smoking cigs and HIV

<< < (4/4)

AustinWesley:
Hey Jason,

Yeah, from everything you've told us I'd say he's pretty much a lost cause and clearly not your responsibility.   I've lost more than one friend to that circuit party group and like you I'm rarely at a club.

When people are spun out on crystal meth and various other drugs they aren't capable of making good decisions and naturally end up with party friends and shy away from old friends who aren't users.   

It sounds like you two are in completely different worlds.   I think you've made up your mind wisely and don't feel you need to justify anything.   If he wants to ruin his life he will.

I think you were correct that HIV is the least of his problems.   

Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and one day get your friend back like I did.   I never thought it would've happened, but he's gotta make some kind of effort.

Best wishes to you!

Wesley

Jason11:

--- Quote from: AustinWesley on February 13, 2007, 08:04:39 PM ---When people are spun out on crystal meth and various other drugs they aren't capable of making good decisions and naturally end up with party friends and shy away from old friends who aren't users.   

Wesley

--- End quote ---

It is interesting that you now mention Crystal Meth; He calls it " Tina".  ::) He said he hooked up with a guy one night and he (the guy) was doing "Tina" but he (my friend) didn't do it...I don't want to jump into conclusions whether he is doing Meth or not...but he was talking to me about "Tina"  with such a familiar tone. I didn't know what Tina was (I don't live in the Dark Ages, okay :P) He had to tell me Tina was Methamphetamine. 

AustinWesley:
Jason,

That Madonna song is playing in my mind.........I've heard it all before, heard it all before ; ) 

Oh, there's a whole bunch of cutesy names for these deadly drugs.  I'm not up on all the lingo, but Tina is one that's been around forever.

I've no idea why he shares all this with you.  It could be he's just high or it maybe is an actual cry for help whether conscious or not.

Really, about the only thing I could suggest is perhaps emailing a link to this site so perhaps he'd actually deal with some of his issues. 

My only other thought is to collaborate with friends and family and see if you could get him on that Intervention show on A&E which pays for long term treatment and removes him from the destructive setting he's in.   It's worth a shot.  I don't know his or his families financial situation or insurance, but I really like the fact that the Intervention team whisks the addict off to another location away from dysfunctional friends and families.   Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Addicts are the best liars usually.   

I guess it depends what you are trying to accomplish.   And hey, if it's just to express concern and feel out the situation that's cool too.

Wesley

SouthSam7:
Dear Friend,

I'll keep mine brief.  My best friend died a few years ago with hiv but it was because he never stopped using drugs.  He also smoked and didn't take his meds til it was too late. 

Just over a year ago I was diagnosed hiv+ and I knew I got it from using meth all the time and not being safe.  I had tried to quit before but when I was diagnosed hiv+ I never used again.  It wasn't easy, and I have no peer support here, but with NA and a couple of great friends who want me to stay clean, I have. 

Direct your friend to na.org.  Better yet, find out some local times and meeting places to give him so he doesn't have an excuse for not knowing about the meetings.  Sometimes all it takes is offering help to someone and they will grab at the chance to make their life better.  Don't give up!

Love,
Sam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version