POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643512
  • Total Topics: 48964
  • Online Today: 174
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 107
Total: 107

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World Community Grid - Put your PC to work!  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Tucsonwoody

World Community Grid - Put your PC to work!
« on: February 06, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »
For those of you who might be interested in letting your computer be used to process research data when you are not using it, here is some information about WCG.  They are currently working on 5 different projects including one related to HIV/AIDS.  The main site is at: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

From the Arizona Daily Star - full article with more info at: http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/167863

"The grid was launched by IBM in November 2004 to accelerate humanitarian research, said Robin Willner, IBM's vice president of global community initiatives. This type of technology is known as a distributed grid. When a computer with the grid software goes idle, it will request data on a project from the World Community Grid's server. The computer works out small problems, sends the results back to the server and then gets a new piece of information to analyze. The grid is a result of collaboration between IBM and more than 300 partners worldwide, including corporations, universities and nonprofit groups.

There are five projects under way, ranging from research about the treatment of muscular dystrophy and cancer to finding a new drug to help HIV patients avoid the onset of AIDS. All of the results will remain in the public domain so they can be used by all researchers.

There are more than 500,000 devices that currently contribute to the World Community Grid, with users from more than 200 countries. Every week, the computers that are part of the grid complete 1,000 years of run time, which is the amount of time it would take one computer to finish the same work. Since the World Community Grid began, it has generated almost 75,000 computer run years. The combined power of the computers makes it one of the five largest super computers in the world."
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
Re: World Community Grid - Put your PC to work!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:01:48 AM »
Currently all my grid points are going to team GTN
perhaps a team (AIDSmeds or POZ) can be created to promote this site and track pooled constributions from members here?
 ;)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:18:41 AM »
I've had the World Community Grid program running on my laptop and desktop for a couple of years now.  In Windows display options you can set the screen saver to be the WCG and when the screen saver starts you can see the current activity and the % of project finished.

It's had no impact on my PCs at all and it's interesting to watch all the little tests it's running even though I have an insect's grasp of the complex test being performed. 

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:25:10 AM »
Thanks for the info woody and boo - I'm gonna consider joining.

Offline hussy_24

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
i signed up, i just let it process whatever its doing, one question though, what are the points for under member info and what is the purpose of teams because i didnt select a team
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 06:42:23 AM by hussy_24 »

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »
I used to run SETI@Home years ago, but figured its more important to fight HIV than finding aliens :P

Its a pretty cool project based on using computation methods to identify candidate drugs that have the right shape and chemical characteristics to block HIV protease. 

Your PC contribution is shown in three measures-points, total run time and results returned. The term points is simply used as a way of measuring the amount of computation your PC has contributed.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=points

Teams are established to track pooled contributions (points) and compete to be the top team on World Community Grid.  You can create your own team or choose from the list of teams to join.

The Grid: The Next-Gen Internet?
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,42230,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_computing
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:17:36 PM by trellium »

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »

My current points are:

Accumulated Points: 310,872
Current Ranking: 10,643

I'll be glad to join any team or to create a team for AIDSmeds members, with permission of Peter and the other AM honchos, of course.

(To be repetitious...) If you want more information about installing WCG go to:  http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ and become a member and download/install the software.  It's really easy to do and the program is written so it makes heaviest use of your PC when you're not doing anything on it.  Like I said I've never noticed a change in performance or response time on any machine it's been installed on.

It's also really interesting to see what computations are being made.  Right now my desktop's WCG is 73% finished with human genome comparisons.  I have no idea what that really means but it makes me feel good anyway.

Boo
P.S.  I have WCG running on my desktop and laptop which both stay on almost all the time and left it installed on my old laptop I sold to a friend last summer, who usually has hers on.
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Central79

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:05:01 PM »
Hey

I've been doing this since last year. I joined the team HIV+, but would swap to a POZ team if one was set up.

Just to reiterate what's already been said: It just runs in the background and has absolutely no impact on how the rest of my (low spec) Mac functions.

Plus it gives me this warm glow that keeps me warm in chilly old London.

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:13 PM »
This is great, I signed up, it has not affected the performance of my computer. And as I type this my computer is helping out with figuring out a mathematical model that will identify candidate drugs that have the right shape and chemical characteristics to block HIV protease. 

Woo hoo  ;)

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
I'll be glad to join any team or to create a team for AIDSmeds members, with permission of Peter and the other AM honchos, of course.
is this still an active aidsmeds.com team?
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=B1SZQ0Z0WR1

I used to run the grid on my old computer; but haven't set it on my newer machine yet.

see this prior thread
This might have been posted before, but just in case...
http://fightaidsathome.scripps.edu/
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.