POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 07:09:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642851
  • Total Topics: 48904
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 172
Total: 174

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Let's Get the Ball Rolling for AMG 2007  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Jody

Let's Get the Ball Rolling for AMG 2007
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:41:40 PM »
As a member of the grants committee I thought it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling as we are closing in on February.

San Francisco is the apparent choice as the Russian River simply does not appear to have the accomodations for such a potentially large group...The city would be easier to get around and we can take a day trip or an overnight elsewhere.

The 3 hotel choices are the Chancellor, the Powell and the Phoenix...I vote for the Chancellor, second choice the Powell.

I vote to start the gathering on Friday, September 14 or the previous Friday, September 7th . I don't think we have too many Jewish people here but Sept. 13th is the start of the Jewish New Year if anyone is concerned with family or other issues..The following Friday is the day before Yom Kippur, which is the holiest day on the Jewish calendar.

So if the Chancellor or Powell on Friday, Sept. 7th or Sept. 14th is good lets start the ball rolling.  Grants committee members can start fund-raising and as Gerry says it's never too early to make a contribution...Remember, even if you are going to request assistance, no amount is too small and you can PM me or better yet the grants committee and we will give you details of where to send a paper check or how to make an electronic transfer for overseas people....Last year, quite frankly, we had too few people contributing, I know many of you have financial issues that preclude even a small contribution, I'm not looking for anyone to feel guilty  ;D but even a very small offer (and some large ones) would be greatly appreciated...Take care.

Jody  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:49:33 PM by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Dennis

Re: Let's Get the Ball Rolling for AMG 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »
Thanks for pushing the ball along, Jody.  I would like to remind everyone that we did not secure our hotel for AMG06 until sometime in March.  So we're far ahead of schedule compared to last year or even the year before.

I would like to mention that the dates we have to work with at each particular hotel have been noted in the AMG07 hotel thread.  These rates were negotiated based on availability at each noted hotel.  Other groups or a higher occupancy, for the most part, negates any other weekend. 

I wasn't going to have the group officially vote for the hotel, as this has not been the protocol in the past.  The decision was going to be based on feedback from the hotel thread.  However, since this seems to be the direction quite a few would like to take, I see no reason not to stray from the norm considering we are ahead of schedule.

Please keep in mind that the posted rates are time sensitive and have only been guaranteed until Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.  For this reason I'd like to keep this vote short and sweet. 

Please vote...

1. The Powell
     2.  The Chancellor
     3.  The Phoenix

Dennis

Offline allanq

• still life with pills
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »
I won't be staying at a hotel, since I live just across the bay in Oakland. If it's O.K. for me to vote, I vote for the Chancellor.

The Chancellor's lobby is bigger and brighter than the Powell's. It's a nicer place for meeting and chatting. Even though the Chancellor is just two blocks up the street from the Powell Hotel, I like the Chancellor location a little better.

Allan

Top (Breakfast): Prezista, Norvir, Isentress, Zoloft (2), Glyburide (2), Aspirin
Bottom right (Dinner): Prezista, Norvir, Isentress
Bottom left (Bedtime): Sustiva, Trazodone (2), Lipitor, Septra (no longer taking this)
Center: Alprazolam (Xanax)
Not shown: various vitamins & supplements

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »
I will vote for the Powell....not because I don't like the Chancellor....however by staying at the Powell I will save $100 over 5 nights.  I'm not doing this to be cheap because I will send that extra money to the grants committee and that will help another member share this time together with us.

Be Well....
Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:05:42 AM »
I vote for the Phoenix.  For me the most important thing about these Gatherings is the opportunity to talk to each other, to share stories, experiences, our lives. To learn from each other. Last year in Montreal we had one night (Friday, Ric and Thom's wedding night) where we all got together to celebrate.  AFter that, all of us never did get together again in one room as the same time.  One time we all tried to go to a bar but that was a bust, remember? 

By staying at the Phoenix we have an opportunity every night at cocktail hour to meet and talk and be with each other.  And every night we can meet and be with someone new.  I never really had a chance to talk to everyone in Montreal like I wanted.  Everyday we all went our own ways and never really came back as a group.  By staying at the Phoenix, we can do what we wish during the day, (there is such a variety of things for us to see and do which is great for such a varied group as ours) gather for cocktails around the pool, drink, smoke and talk at the end of the day and then we can plan our evenings.  Some might want to go to the Castro, others to the South of Market, some to the Nob Hill Theatre or perhaps the Club Fugazi.  (we have no strip shows in SF ala Montreal <sigh>.)

AMG stands for Aids Meds Gathering.  Let's gather and enjoy each other's company. 

Let's stay at the Phoenix.

robert

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:02:55 AM »
Although I expressed my preferences in another thread, I'll glady do so again........Chancellor Hotel, then 2nd, Powell. Similar to MrTallGuy, I intend to contribute.  I'll stay in a budget hotel ,if need be, to accomplish that contribution since I surely am not rich. I look for a safe place to lay my head and cheap eats; not so much fine accommodations or fine dining.
However, Jody and Dennis, this recent posting has inherent conflicts. I appreciate we all want to get the ball rolling and all of us are waiting for time and place to be established so we can make arrangements. My post isn't intented as a complaint or criticism. Don't want to frustrate or piss someone off with my questions. I'm just a bit confused. Bear with me, this is happening more frequently as I get-on in age.

Jody: According to previous postings by Dennis, certain hotels were available only during a certain week of September. For instance, the Chancellor was available (with price break) for our group during Sept 19-24; the Powell was available for week of 12-17 at a set pricing.etc, etc. Nothing was posted about an earlier date of Sept. 7th. What hotel is available for the weekend of Sept 7?
So........., the choice of hotel and the availability within the month of September varies. See?

Dennis:  Have you negotiated hotel accommodations at either of the three hotels during second weekend of Sept. 7th?

For myself, any time of September, except Labor Day weekend, is good. So I don't care if it is the second, thiird, fourth, or fifth weekend of the month. The price of the hotel is an important factor, though.
BTW: I am planning on a couple of days at Yosemite prior to AMG weekend. A friend of mine tells me this spot is so goregous, that GOD lives there. A gotta see for me, since I don't get to the west coast frequently.  Just 4 hrs. drive from SF.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:11:09 AM by mjmel »

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 06:52:16 AM »
Okay, this time i'm going to vote for "I don't care" about the hotel.   Namely because I haven't decided if i'm going to stay at a hotel, and if I do, then it doesn't matter which one.

John

Dan J.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »
Can someone provide links to the hotels so we can make our choices?

Offline allanq

• still life with pills
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 11:14:34 AM »
From Dennis' first post on his AMG 2007 Hotel thread:

It looks like voting for a particular hotel also means that you're voting for the dates associated with it.

Phoenix Hotel
http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/12
September 19 - 25

Rate = $139 per night (includes continental breakfast and parking)

The Powell Hotel
http://www.thepowellhotel.com/
September 12 -17

Rate = $115 per night

The Chancellor Hotel
http://www.chancellorhotel.com/
September 19 - 24

Rate = $125 per night

Hotel tax at all properties is an additional 14%.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:05:21 PM by allanq »
Top (Breakfast): Prezista, Norvir, Isentress, Zoloft (2), Glyburide (2), Aspirin
Bottom right (Dinner): Prezista, Norvir, Isentress
Bottom left (Bedtime): Sustiva, Trazodone (2), Lipitor, Septra (no longer taking this)
Center: Alprazolam (Xanax)
Not shown: various vitamins & supplements

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 12:14:32 PM »
I vote for the Phoenix.  For me the most important thing about these Gatherings is the opportunity to talk to each other, to share stories, experiences, our lives. To learn from each other

I am with you on that Robert.
That is why I voted for the Russian River and Why I will vote for the hotel that gives us the most opprtunities of meeting and spending time togheter.
I love to get to know and exchange as much as possible...

Hermie
Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Viread, Kivexa (Epzicom),Viramune once daily

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Jody

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
Sorry, Dennis did post the dates but I got a bit lost...It can happen even to a genius ya know  ;D

Any dates are fine with me.

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »
I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm looking into creating a simple website for the gathering just to keep all the confirmed information in one place... last year, we had a single thread for all that information, but I think a simple website would be a better tool for communicating confirmed information... debate and votes and such would still be here of course.   This would only be a tool for ease of reference.  I hope to have something up soon and this would be something that the coordinators would have access to and is easy to update.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »
Hi Dennis

My first choice is the Powell, followed by the Chancellor.

Thanks again for everything you are doing for us.

RAB

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:28:50 AM »
This seems cool but a little pricey.... :o
AIDS ISN'T OVER UNTIL IT's OVER FOR EVERYONE!
www.myspace.com/johnnyguaylupo

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 01:38:16 AM »
cost is a definite issue.  Many members mitigate this by sharing rooms for the duration of the stay.  If you are truly interested in attending, creating a 'room share' thread is permisable here. 

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 01:53:30 AM »
My vote is

1..Powell..(good price)
2..Chancellor..(again a good price but a little more than the Powell)

I like the idea of the Phoenix but the price I think will be a little too much for some of us..but having said that I will go with the majority..I just want to be there.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 02:12:16 AM »
Like Dingo says, double occupancy means cutting the price of the room in half.  We did this in Montreal and Toronto.  I really can't think of anyone who didn't share a room.  In Toronto I shared a room with a - Rocket Scientist - (anyone hear from Marcus lately?) and in Montreal with the Grand Pooba of the Boards. 

A wonderful time was had by all.

robert

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 02:21:56 AM »
Sharing a room is cool, i'm 25 is anyone going to feel uncomfortable if I attend well actually I'll be 26 by then

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 03:05:23 AM »
we love youngin's. 

Many people are quite amenable to sharing a room to reduce costs.  Others are persnickity and want their own room.  The best bet to finding a 'roomshare' is to participate in these forums frequently and gain 'trust'.

People can't afford to pay for a supposed roomie that doesn't show up most of the time.  No slight against you at all, but i'm sure you understand.   

Participate and get to know others here and I think things will fall into place automatically.

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 06:13:04 AM »
Hey,

I totally agree with you, and this forum is getting kind of addicting but all well.  I will see how everythig goes from now to the Spring.

Thank you for your kindness

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 10:44:41 PM »
Any updates on which hotel was chosen and what dates?  I noticed that Dennis' post here mentioned the time-sensitive nature of the rates.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.