POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 12:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23489
  • Latest: Cowboy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639035
  • Total Topics: 48514
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 197
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anarchy.. not just for breakfast  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Lis

Anarchy.. not just for breakfast
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »
Am I the only poz human that cant stand to take my poisen any longer?... I set my meds up... and  well, i take the thyroid shit, the bactrim, and the prozac... the rest i have to FORCE myself to swallow... i gag even at the thought of them..is this really a life? is it really the way that i want to continue?... i just don't know...

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline Jody

Re: Anarchy.. not just for breakfast
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
Hi Lis...Good to hear from you, it has been a while...Think of your meds as being your "ticket" to a longer, more healthy life...I know, it's not easy- remembering the pills, swallowing them...I try to think of them as an extension of my vitamins...In fact now I take all 3 meds at one time daily...I also sprinkle in my vitamins in the morning and a few after lunch so it's all just something to swallow...Keep on truckin' Lis and think of those you love and who love you back when you take your meds.

Stay well, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 07:32:28 PM »
Gee... I've never had a problem swallowing twenty pills in one swoop.  Not sure why it doesn't bother me at all but it's always been this way.  I think I received good practice as a child when I'd have to wash my green beans down with milk because they tasted so damn nasty.,
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »
Don't let this virus get the best of you. It's this damn freakin virus that is causing all this mental and physical damage in our body. Do you want this virus to win? After all you been fighting. It's not an easy battle but the pills are the bullets that are killing the virus so keep reloading.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:54:43 PM »
Liz

I think you are  with the majoriity. Okay some (most) days it's not a thing, and I am on an easy combo with no extras, but even then....however, I view it as a temporary situation. 6 years ago I had friends on Bactrim + meds 3 x day + grapefruit + cancer meds + whatever, who are on two pills 1 x day now. & no extras.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
The meds are such a small part of my day, that I don't let it get to me.  In fact I usually swallow them all at once.   I guess I could see how having to take pills is a reminder that I have the plague.  But I live a really active life.  I go to the gym.  I bike.   I recognize depression when it is coming on and then 'try' to do something like jog, or work our or ride.  (not that the depression doesn't win sometimes, but at least I know it's the depression these days). 

I echo the sentiments of others.  Try not to let it all get to you and think about the things you have to be thankful for.  Life is good.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline koi1

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
I know what you mean about having to take the pills. A month ago I started on pentamadine to prevent PCP because I had an allergic reaction to bactrim. I liked the pentamadine because it is inhaled at the hospital  once a month. One less pill to swallow. But now my doctor wants me on dapsone because the pentamadine is for other patients who don't tolerate other options. I told her how I preferred the once a month pentamadine even if I have to come in because antibiotics in pills give me nausea. She agreed to have me do one more treatment next week, but wrote me a prescription for dapsone, which is in the sulfa family of drugs, which I am allergic to, which I don't want to even mess with... But she says it should not be a problem. Trouble is that the last allergic reaction put me in the hospital for three days.

Yeah, swallowing the meds stinks, especially for me who never took as much as an aspirin or a vitamin before. But, on the other hand they are saving my life. And things were much worse before. But I am sure you have heard the whole spiel before.

I guess it all depends on how much we want to stay healthy or at least alive. Think of the people on fuzeon and how tough that is.

rob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:13:06 PM by koi1 »
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
Lis, I too am in your company!

i take a handful of meds twice a day...and frankly I am sick of it...I gag them down and get on with my day...but I am just tired taking them...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:14:42 PM »
I'm in a much beter place with the pill swallowing now than I was, but I know all about what you mean about gagging at the sight of them.  That used to be me, too.

The main thing:  I am glad to see you posting, Lis.  Had been wondering how you had been doing out there.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
Hi Lis. Even though we've never met, I've "seen" you pull through tough times before and that tells you will do it again. Love & well-wishes, Alex
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:09:37 AM by allopathicholistic »

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 10:19:04 AM »
Lis....
You take care of yourself now, you hear!  I have one word: oatmeal.  Not the instant kind, the real thing...the kind that cooks for 20 minutes or so. You cook it, serve it hot with maybe a little butter and maybe some maple syrup on it.  Its good for you and easy on the stomach.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline gemini20

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »
Hi Lis,

I'm sure this response from me will not sit comfortably with many here but what the hell I'll write it anyway.

If you are really thinking of the meds as poison then why not take a break from them!

I don't know what your numbers are doing so am not sure if you'd even consider it; and yes I know that treatment interruptions don't work for most people but hey there's always exceptions to the rules.

I personally chose to stop all meds back in October 2005 after only 18 months - for me it was the best decision I made. I'm just not cut out to be on meds - I don't comply, I don't like taking pills, I don't see the need for pills when I am well regardless of what the numbers are doing - i could go on. Now my life does not revolve around any medication I feel I am back in control of my destiny. Some may argue that HIV now has control of me but after 16 years with the virus I think it's more of a coexistence.

For me it will always be about quality of life over quantity and if I found myself in a position of having to force down medication, gagging at the thought of yet more pills then I would start to question whether that is a situation I could carry on with.

Just my personal thoughts.

Best wishes,

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
my personal record was 32 pills a day back in 90s. that was just the hiv drugs. the only thing I had ever had a problem swallowing was the evil liquid norvir. It was truly ghastly. I always felt like I was gonna die for 20 minutes after I took it. I am now on Prezista and it is great!!! only a total of 7 pills a day.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.