Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

John Hopkins Research

(1/1)

Brian360:
I was told by my doctor at the VA Center I go to that a John Hopkins University Research report says that you can have non-detectable HIV for up to 10 years before it is finally detected and they (doctors) use this 10 year scale to orientate themselves as a "flow chart" of what the virus can do during its longevity and what the doctors should do along this time track.

So instead of thinking I became infected in 2004, I actually could have become infected in 1994.

I understand that sometimes to help you realize where you're going you have to examine the past, but I hope that amount of hours consumed on research for a vaccine far outweighed the hours spent finding out that basically you can have no clue as to when you became infected.

Brian

Boston:
There are people in these forums who know a lot more than I do.  While it may be possible that some people who are positive have "undetectable" virus levels for an extended period of time, I do not believe it is true that a person can be positive for 10 years without the presence of the virus being detected.

manchesteruk:

--- Quote from: Boston on January 26, 2007, 08:44:42 PM ---I do not believe it is true that a person can be positive for 10 years without the presence of the virus being detected.

--- End quote ---

It certainly is true! there are people on this forum closing on on 20 years of being positive without ever having a detectable viral load.  They are called Long term non progressors there is a clinical study of these people going on in the US at the moment here is a thread all about it:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=411.0

bear60:
But.....we (LTNP's) still TEST HIV POSITIVE because our bodies have made antibodies for the HIV and that shows up on a test.  You cannot be HIV positive for 10 years and never test positive.  Yes...undectable viral load is possible.
Modified to add: Yes it seems that there is an exception to every rule. Read this thread: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1853.0

Brian360:
I go into visit my doctor in a couple of days...I'll see if I can get the name of the report from her so individual research for it won't be as grueling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version