POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 03:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635409
  • Total Topics: 48197
  • Online Today: 186
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Same old question about the Uncle  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Maestro

Same old question about the Uncle
« on: January 22, 2007, 08:59:53 AM »
I don't know if I have gone in to this with the Uncle, but he is a world class liar.  I think it is due to his paranoia and a bunch of other factors.  I also think he is scared/depressed, but won't allow anyone in to help.

Anyways, since he has been in "my" care his cd4 has been between 100 and 180.  His percent has been steady around 11-12%.

He tells me he has been this way for 7-8 years, which is what I have often said on these boards.  The more I think about, given his history of lying to me, the more I doubt this.

So I am not asking if it is possible to have these low numbers for so long, I am sure it is...I am asking how likely it is.  I can't help but realize that he is way off the averages from what I see many members here experiencing.  I watched the man fall asleep while shaving with an electric razor PRESSED AGAINST HIS FACE!  And, stay asleep for quite a while.  I've heard of AIDS fatigue, but sheesh.

I feel like since his episode in Austria he has 'sort of improved'.  Let me see if this makes sense...He has improved from the kidney dangers and broken hip, but his HIV has taken a huge step backwards and has not recovered.  Does that make sense?

Any long term people have such low #'s while being on meds?  7 yrs on meds with such low #'s seems out of the norm from I see many here going through.

As always, thanks for your input...It is always appreciated.

Maestro in Tampa.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Same old question about the Uncle
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:48 AM »
It is possible, but could also be a little bit of a fairy tale...

If he's been on meds continuously for 7 years, you would expect a significant improvement from baseline in most cases. However, not everyone gets a big boost to their CD4 from meds. I guess there's no way to know if he took the meds proper like, or at all. And I guess there is the possibility his CD4 was much, much lower once and he don't wanna tell....

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:28:41 AM »
Maestro, it's certainly understandable that you'd like to get a handle on Uncle's history and current status. I would say a lot of the blank spots are unlikely to ever get filled in.

He's still under medical care. You're watching things as best you can. So from my point of view it's pretty much a matter of dealing with what is, how things are now and coping as best as possible.

Living with such uncertainty and unanswered questions is ....challenging. It sounds like your uncle was always inclined to hold his cards close to his chest.

You're doing your best. Angels can do no more.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Maestro

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 03:45:10 PM »
It is possible, but could also be a little bit of a fairy tale...

If he's been on meds continuously for 7 years, you would expect a significant improvement from baseline in most cases. However, not everyone gets a big boost to their CD4 from meds. I guess there's no way to know if he took the meds proper like, or at all. And I guess there is the possibility his CD4 was much, much lower once and he don't wanna tell....

- matt

I agree.  And the more I look at other peoples stats, it is rare not see a cd4 increase.  I am thinking it is a bit of a fairy tale as well...

All I can do is watch from 3,000 miles away..

M

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »
Indeed angel can do more but watch, and fell their wings burn. I salute you for watching. It does make a difference.

Anyway, now is the important time for love, not the days of did/didn't happen.

Big salute.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 10:19:50 AM »
Hi M,

I found out I was poz in '93, and my tcells dropped down to under 200, and have stayed under 200 ever since. Mine have never rebounded. It can happen

I know it is frustrating, but hang in there.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Maestro

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »
Hi M,

I found out I was poz in '93, and my tcells dropped down to under 200, and have stayed under 200 ever since. Mine have never rebounded. It can happen

I know it is frustrating, but hang in there.
Christine

Chrsitine,

If I may ask...what has the % been?  Also...he takes horrible care of himself as I have stated before.  I would think with such low #'s his health would be a priority.  But in my opinion, the doctors have done him a great diservice when they told him he could live to 99 on his meds.  In his mind that means he can just pop those meds, ignore everything else (and I do mean everything) and he'll be OK.  Like the meds protect him from everything HIV and non-HIV related!  I know the average, sane person doesn't take this away when the doc tells him the meds are great.  But then again, I never said he was average or sane!
M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.