HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Tested Antigen reactive EIA reactive Western Blot nonreactive

<< < (2/20) > >>

HIV? poz about being neg:
Thank you for your responses, another question how great are the chances that the Non reactive test for the western blot i had done are incorrect given the 4 week period since last sexual encounter and the positive EIA?

Coffeechick88:
I don't have any statistics for you.  You tested too early after your last unprotected sex episode.  You need to test out to at least 3 months later.  Only then can you really know what is going on HIV-wise.  If by then you are still testing with a reactive ELISA and negative Western Blot, you can be sure you are a false positive.  The only way you can be confirmed positive is if your Western Blot becomes positive, which one cannot say without more testing.  Anyhow, more testing is definitely needed in your case.  So I wish right now I could tell for sure what it is, but you don't conclusively know anything yet.  As I said before, make sure you get a FULL STD panel as well. 

Ann:
H,

The soonest you should test again with an ELISA is six weeks, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive on both the ELISA and Western Blot by this time. A negative result at six weeks is unlikely to change, but MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

The only PCR testing approved for diagnostic use is the RNA PCR - and even then it is a piece of the puzzle and not a stand-alone diagnosis. A positive RNA PCR test still must be confirmed by both a positive ELISA and a positive Western Blot.

As you have been told, a DNA PCR test is NOT approved for diagnostic use as they have a high rate of false positives.

ANY hiv test (including the RNA) has the potential for false positive results - that's why a positive result is never conclusive on the strength of one type of test result alone.

Don't assume you are positive just yet. Wait for the conclusive confirmation one way or the other. In the meantime, try to remain productively busy. All the worry in the world won't change your results one way or the other.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ann

HIV? poz about being neg:
Thanks so much for all your info...  So if we speak chance only are the chances of me being infact positive greater then the chance of me being negative by the time period i mentioned? With the results i had from the first tests? and taking into consideration the symptoms i have had?

RapidRod:
No, that does not mean your chances are greater that you are positive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version