HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Should i be worried?

(1/12) > >>

PK22:
Ok guys i need your opinions,

Back in november i had protected vaginal and oral sex with a prostitute in amsterdam.  I concerned i might of contracted hiv from this event.  The reason i'm concerned is that the prostitute used a lubricant, i dont know if this was oil or water based, all i can say is that my genital area wasnt greasey or oily in the slightest after the event.  During the event i remember the prostitute commenting that i must of ejaculated because ther was fluid in my condom, i hadnt ejaculated, and when i looked at the condom it seemed in tack.  Would this be likely to be pre-cum?  Or could her fluid of got into my condom.

Anyway, since then i have been ill for 8 weeks, i lost loads of weight, had sore throat, been sick loads, i've been extremely worried since the event.  I've been tested on 3 occasions, they are as follows

2 weeks post

All stds - Negative
Hiv 1 + 2 Antibody - Negative
P24 Antigen - Negative

4 weeks post

Hiv 1+2 Antibody - Negative
P24 Antigen - negative
Hep A-B-C - negative
Syphilis - Negative

7 weeks post

Hiv 1+2 Antibody - Negative
P24 Antigen - Negative
Syphilis - Negative

What is the likely hood that i've got hiv from the information i've provided?

regards and thanks

P.

md:
Based on the information you provided you do not have HIV.

You had protected intercourse which did not put you at risk, *and* you have tested negative 8 weeks after the event.

Normally you would have to wait for 12 weeks for the test to be considered conclusive, but a negative test at 8 weeks has a very high probablity of being correct - in addition to which the incident that you described should not have put you at risk in the first place!

I suspect that the prostitute's comment that you "must have ejaculated" when, in fact, you had not was probably just an attempt on her part to end the session because it was taking too long and she wanted to move on to the next client ...

You should consult a doctor about your symptoms and try to figure out what is actually wrong with you.

Ann:
PK,

It doesn't matter who you have intercourse with, a condom will protect you against hiv transmission and infection. You haven't had a risk for hiv infection. Sex workers use condoms and lube to protect themselves, not you, so you can be sure that the correct lube was used and the condom remained intact.

In the case of an actual risk, a six week negative is very encouraging and unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at three months. As you did not have a risk you can consider yourself to be hiv negative.

You need to use condoms with anyone, not just sex workers. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You do not need further testing at this point, but make sure you start having regular check ups if you're going to be sexually active.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

PK22:
Ann,

How convinced should i be that the sex worker used a water based lubricant, i can just remember that it was a large blue bottle, reminded me of a sun tan lotion bottle.  I'm scared to death the it was oil, and that the fluid was hers and not mine.  I've got a girlfriend to think about in all this, i know my infedelty is unforgivable, and its a mistake i will never do again.  I've seen symptoms in my girlfriend of hiv as well as myself.  I had a sore throat with swollen glands, then a few days later my girlfriend developed a sore throat, runny nose and a swollen gland on her neck.  It scared me to death to the point of being sick.  She's also tired all the time at the mo, i'm hoping this is coincidence not my worst nightmare.

thanks for your advice

PK

RapidRod:
I really like these threads that says, "I've got a girlfriend, husband, wife, boyfriend to think about." Why don't you think before you react? You did not have a risk, oil base or not, your condom did not fail. If it would have, you would have known without a doubt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version