HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

HIV Question?

(1/11) > >>

casimir:
I have been worried sick lately.  I had unprotected sex with a woman who's HIV status is unknown.  I have been having alot of different symptoms that coincidentally coincided with me being on Septra for Chronic Prostatitis.  I had an HIV Elisa test at 4 weeks after my encounter and it came back negative.  Well around week 8 i had a very high temp and was vomiting all the time.  I went in to the doctor and they ran another HIV Elisa and Hepatitis panel at the 8 weeks mark.  Both came back negative again.  My Liver functions were way out of whack.  Very High.  They told me not too worry about HIV that the 8 week test is very reliable.  They have assured me that I was just allergic to the sulfa drug and it caused me to be Hepatoxic.  Well now I am at week 12 and I am having pain in my armpits, dry cough and small canker sore on the tip of my tongue.  My Doc tells me to not worry but I Keep thinking that I may have been infected with HIV.  Please, any advice would be great.  Not sure what to do.  Doc tells me that another HIV test is overboard.
                Worried

Ann:
casimir,

Unless you have tested in Massachusetts, the official window period in the US is thirteen weeks. The window period at Massachusetts State testing centers is six weeks.

However, it is highly unlikely that your eight week negative will change.

While symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it come to hiv infection, none of the symptoms you report sound like primary hiv.

Ann

casimir:
So then the 8 week Elisa test is not accurate?  Why is Massachusetts test considered accurate at 6 weeks.  Is it a different generation test?  Sorry I have so many questions.  Just very confused and worried right now.  I never get sick and now all of a sudden after my sexual encounter with that female I have been sick for 3 weeks.  I am hoping it is stress but I just keep thinking the worst.  All these symptoms just popped out of nowhere, right when they say seroconversion occurs.

Ann:
casimir,

In Massachusetts State testing centers they use only 4th generation ELISA tests. As your doctor is saying that your test is conclusive, perhaps he used a fourth generation. Ask.

As I said, it is highly unlikely that your test result will change, but I have to stick to the official US thirteen week window period (and the official UK window period which is twelve weeks - using the same tests as in the States.)

Ann

casimir:
I took the test in the military in Alaska and they sent it to minnesota.  Is the 4th generation elisa more expensive to use and that is why states dont use it?  Thanks so much for helping me with my questions.  I was very stoopid to have unprotected sex and now my conscience has taken over and I cant stop worrying about it/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version