POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 03:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620453
  • Total Topics: 46749
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 155
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need Milwaukee ASO information & recommendations  (Read 1481 times)

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Need Milwaukee ASO information & recommendations
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
As many of you may know, I am going to be shortly moving to the Milwaukee area to be with my boyfriend Shane (livingpositively).  I am very excited and a little bit scared.

Ultimately, this will probably mean I will lose my current job.  I have the possibility of transfer to Lincolnshire, Illinois, our headquarters, but that is over an hour away, but it is doable till I find a permanent position closer.  With all the persistant difficulty I've had in getting my FMLA approved, I plan on pursuing on option under ADA for a work relocation to 'get better treatment' in the chicagoland area which will force them to relocate me to a position there.

I know I can always get work through a temp agency in the Milwaukee area making less than I currently do ($31300).  That pay rate is good for Orlando CSR type positions but I am really looking to advance, which may mean going back to school.

If I transfer and get an expected raise/promotion, that should put be in the 43k range.  But I really don't want to travel an hour a day each way and if my fmla is not approved I face termination immediately, so I can't count on this job.

I need information on the local aso's in the milwaukee area.  I have stockpiled 7 months of viramune, 5 months of truvada (with an additional order of 3 months being mailed to me on 2/10/07) and about 8 months worth of my crazymeds, lexapro.  Through prudent planning with my current insurance, I can order meds about 1 month before I run out of that current 3 month prescription, so I've been able to accumulate these extra months.

I had planned on resigning, but need coverage in february to get the additional meds. My medical runs through the end of the month no matter how you leave the company.  I am beginning to think it would be better to get fired and collect unemployment.

So, even if I am out of a job and insurance for a while, I'll still have my meds and I'm doing very well physically and labwise except for constant diarreah and occassional vomiting and nausea.

I'm not even sure what the local aso might be able to do for me as I don't really have a need for meds in the short term here and I do plan to find a benefits paying position, other than houseboy, shortly after arriving in the FUCKING COLD DAMN ASS STATE OF WISCONSIN!

I do want to obtain additional meds, provided there is no waiting list that would take away from someone else, to preserve my 'stash'.   Goverment programs are a fickle thing and I don't wish to lose what I have till I can find a new permanent position.

And this also mean I have the opportunity to explore entirely new career options, possibly making less but more 'enjoyable'.  I've always wanted to be a flight attendant.  I know that's very gay but I'd be good at it.  Or working for a brewery... perhaps they give free samples :) 

I'm just looking for thoughts or recommendations as I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.  I'm in a good position with meds now.  I don't 'need' medical insurance for months, but want to preserve it too.  Cobra is not an option I can afford. 

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
Re: Need Milwaukee ASO information & recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:47:31 AM »
While I cant offer any Milwaukee specific information, I can give you some advice based on the fact that I did almost the exact same thing several years ago when I left my job in Houston to move to Florida to live with my boyfriend. I can understand the mix of emotions you have , although I wasnt diagnosed at the time, I was still a bit worried about being without medical coverage for the first time.
I think you should definitely go with your transfer strategy with the company you're currently with you might really like the new work location, and hey, you can always quit. An Hour comute in Wisconson winter would be a biach that might really sink the deal though.
Making a fresh start is one of the best things I ever did in my life, and I hope it works out the same for you.

Isnt Milwaukee where Laverne & Shirley was set ? if so You'll have to dig up a copy of the theme song
"Do it our way.. Make our dreams come true..."  ( yes I hope that song is stuck in your head for the rest of the day)
and on another happy note, you get to shop for fabulous new winter clothes like sweaters and ofcourse a fabulous leather jacket or two..
Keep Us Posted,  Ill be especially interisted on how it goes signing up for insurance with a new employer if you go that route. Oh ya, and Im sure that Im not the only one that wants to see a pic of you in one of those Cheese Head hats. ;D
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:00:19 PM »
quitting doesn't pay... i need either unemployment (ie: getting fired) or short term disability... both of which I'm pursuing through a shrink and I can always ensure I get fired for some 'security violations', but I'd rather not.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 03:25:12 PM »
Dont you lose Unemployment benefits if you get fired for a legit reason?  I thought they only paid in the event you were laid off, but it still seems like a last resort  move, Im not sure about your company but by resigning on good terms, I was able to get a sweet severance package and excellent references and in an absolute worst case scenario, the ability to be rehired { makes my gorge rise just typing it though}

One thing I forgot to mention was the Huge mistake I made by cashing out my 401k, and blowing it over the following couple of years.. I really regret that,
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Nico

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »
Bailey,
I am still new here, but have been poz for a long time.  I have viewed your video blogs and appreciate your candid insight which allows me as well as others to see "you".

Well that being said, I am happy for you and Shane.  Having someone in your life helps to balance the stress (well most of the time).  I have been with my partner for 17 years.....still love him!

What I wish to sound off on is what Lwood said.  Do not get fired from your job.  It may seem like the quickest way out to get to OZ, but it is not the best solution.  No unemployment - nada.  You may for the short term try thinking about taking the job in Lincolnshire.  Being in my line of work, I think the company may begin with an "H" possibly?  I deal with a large company in that city so it is just a guess.  If so, they offer great benefits.

I am also disturbed that you mention, you do not need medical insurance for months.  That in my opinion is nuts.  Yes, you may not like my opinion, but I did not expect to get PCP in 2001 with over 400 T-cells  that cost a $100K hospital stay or a broken toe that cost $1.5K in the emergency room.  I may sound like a total B*, but if you and Shane can swing COBRA, please do.   

Bottom line is you are starting a new life as well as Shane so take all the precautions and self sacrifice to make the transition work.  I am really not trying to preach, but I don't want you to miss out on what will be your best years for a short term sacrifice.  Again, I am sorry if I am preaching - just give a damn that the both of you have what my partner and I do.

Cheers and no hard feelings.
Roger  :)
Poz since 1990.

Offline AlanBama

• 'class' of '87
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »
I don't know how I missed this earlier.....

Honey, I am so happy that you are moving to be with Shane!   Uncle Al does have to join the chorus here though, and say that I don't think it's wise to get fired, if you can help it.   I have only ever been fired from one job in my life (my first, in 1978) and that was for them finding out I was gay!  That firing, even though I didn't "deserve" it, has always haunted me, and I wish I could have avoided it.

I hope the transfer works out.   An hour commute is no fun, I did it for years and I would never recommend that anyone set themself up for that, but hopefully you can do it for a short time until something else turns up.

Hugs to both of you,

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
Have you checked out the hompage  with the ASO search feature? Good luck.

Offline aztecan

• 28 years positive, 56 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 12:08:59 AM »
Hey Bailey,

I'll add a slightly different voice to the chorus. As you know, Uncle Mark (yes, that guy with the ever-so-delightful photo of two certain young lovers in Montreal) was given the sack after 16 years with the same company.

Since each state is different, this isn't gospel, but I got unemployment immediately. The amount (the maximum allowable) was based on my income prior to being sacked, but it still wasn't enough to completely cover my living expenses. I wound up dipping deeply into my savings during the seven months I was out of work.

Also, depending on the reason you were sacked, the company can contest the application for unemployment benefits. I had an employer that did this regularly. They were jerks.

I also remember, many years ago, receiving unemployement from New Mexico when I went to California to broaden my horizons.

So, saying you can't collect unemployment if you are fired may not be correct. I do know that, extenuating circumstances notwithstanding, you can't collect unemployment if you quit a job. I would certainly check it out before taking drastic steps.

Now, regarding the ASO question, I would definitely check out the local ASO to find out what you may qualify for and whether there are any residency requirements. Ask if you must have been a resident for a certain length of time before being eligible. There are some states where this was the case, although I can't say whether that still holds true.

If you can enroll with an ASO, ask them about insurance assistance that would pay for your COBRA. I did this and was able to continue with my medical coverage throughout my unemployment and even after getting my new job until I was eligible to enroll in my new employer's health plan.

Be forewarned that many ASOs have income caps. Here, it is 300 percent of the federal poverty level, which, for a single individual, is $2,480 a month, gross. It differs from state to state, so check it out.

May I say I am absolutely delighted for you and Shane. SIGH, it warms the cockles of this ol fart's heart.  ;D

BIG HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:11:40 AM by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »
Hi Bailey...I commute by subway (in the same city) for nearly an hour daily each way...You get used to it...As others have stated you want to avoid a firing to have a negative rating attached to your resume.  Good luck to you and Shane and someday I can visit Chicago and also Milwaukee and you, Shane and Ric and Thom as well.  I think you are in health care and insurance if I'm not mistaken and Milwaukee has some major insurance companies, and like many American cities-  Cleveland, Philadelphia, New York -they have rebuilt a great deal and made it nicer to live in.

Get out those Miller beers, bowling balls, cheese heads and Green Bay Packer caps !!!

Jody  :D 
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.