POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:17:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643023
  • Total Topics: 48926
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 131
Total: 136

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's What Brought Us Together  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
It's What Brought Us Together
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:35:33 PM »
HIV

It is what has brought us all together on this community forum, but I think it is not nearly as profound as what we all may potentially take away.  It has not even been a month since my first post here and I have found myself feeling a myriad of emotions along the way.  I cannot really say -truthfully- what my main motivation was for initially posting here.  Perhaps, it was the final evolution of my "coming out" about my HIV but more likely, it was my curiosity about how others were coping and feeling about their HIV status.  I have been fortunate to come into contact with some "real" souls here.  Maybe, that was my true reason for posting here.  I was hoping for some intimacy beyond what I have gotten accustomed to in my everyday living experience.  A part of me had really become complacent with mediocrity.  That is when it is time to make some changes, in my opinion.  I have always said that it would take more than a shared "virus" to bridge the gap between people's experiences here, and I am glad that I have found myself pleasantly walking across this "bridge" to find a real person on the other side. 

This journey across and back has taught me a few new things about myself, about my desire to connect with people on another level, to go places that sometimes seem a little unsafe and exciting at the same time.  I have found a side of myself that is playful and hopeful, even more so than before my diagnosis, because I can truly appreciate its joy in the moment.  I have found a side of myself that is naughty and sensual here as well.  It is good to flirt without the fear of rejection because of my HIV status.  In a way, this place has allowed me to begin the process of defining myself as someone beyond just my HIV status. 

I have grown to appreciate the sparks on here as well.  I appreciate it not so much for the actual disagreements and strongs opinions, but because I can feel more grounded in my own little place of peace.  I am not immune to hurt feelings and I have on occasion found myself stiring a cauldron of ill will.  However, it was yet another side of myself to embrace and deal with...for better or worse. 

God, I have discovered that I have a filthy mouth and an even filthier imagination...no explanation on this is required...a picture is worth a thousand words.  Let's just say...I do not think I will be running for any public offices any time soon or planning to be make any grand splashes of fame on Oprah.  Oh, the dirt that some of you could expose on me...LOL  ;D

More than anything else, I am most moved by the level of compassion and willingness to truly engage in some worthy exchanges on the community forum...publicly and through PMs.  Truly, this place has turned into an extended family of imaginary friends for me...the kind of friends I could only imagine being so true to FEELING things.  I have introduced many of you to my friends in "real time" exchanges and it has enriched my friendships outside of the fact that it all began with us all being together because of our HIV status.

Thanks.  It really has become more about what I have taken away from my experience here and what I have been able to share with the rest of the world outside of our little niche in cyberspace.

Fondly,  Brooks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:05:41 AM by Amosboy »
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: It's What Brought Us Together
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »
WONDERFUL ARTICULATE AND CLEAR POST!! Thanks!!!!! Lemonade out of lemons! I love it!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:19:14 PM by allopathicholistic »

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:06:07 PM »
Hey Brooks,

Funny how much you can learn about yourself through others postings and our reactions to them. And vice versa.
You're an asset to the forums, glad to have met you here!

Now, should you become a celebrity (for whatever possible reason), which of us will be the first to reach the tabloids to sell out???  ;)

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline marco23

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:43:32 PM »
Hi Brooks!
What an inspiring and refreshing post...just brought a smile to my face...so glad you're here.  See, a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!  :D
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:15:54 AM »
Echoing all of the above.

And a gentle reminder: should you find yourself in an autobiographical vein, I'd like to heare (as would others no doubt) about those early years, UNC and beyond. (But of course this may not be something you want to think or write about; in which case, I'm an insensitive ass, who should be flogged.)

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:40:02 AM »
Empathy is such sweet drink together!

Cheers!
Drew

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 02:07:33 AM »
What a nice post.

I had a bitter sweet thought the other day. What is they found a cure for HIV, not a vaccine but a complete cure, and HIV became a non-issue. I was thinking of the day that there was no longer an AIDSmeds forum because there was nothing to talk about anymore. They pulled the site... and it was all over.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:18:38 AM »
Hey spreadin-for-no-roses (so please tell us what you do spread for),

I'd like to think that it would be over, yes, but also that I'd have made some friends for life. Not many, a handful perhaps. But certainly enough "encounters" (parse that term broadly) to supply many memories for a long time. That's a good thing, no? Yes?

Jay

And happy birthday again, in real time!
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline rick21007

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:17:24 AM »
Hey Brooks---I nominate you to be the poster boy for the forums  What a sweetheart!

The other morning when I was driving to work I was really wondering how it is that these forums have become a gathering place for so many awesome people.

I've said this before but I am finding out learning to live with hiv is simply about learning to live.

You are so Right On------Rick

Offline carousel

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:26:33 AM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:08:42 AM by carousel »

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
Hey Brooks, what a beautiful post...from an equally beautiful man!

You really have hit it on the head (so-to-speak) and I am proud to know you and call you friend! You are a very special person Brooks! Thank you for coming into my life! :-*
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:06:03 AM »
POST OF THE WEEK!

Besides all mine.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
God, I have discovered that I have a filthy mouth and an even filthier imagination.
I think that's what's called "keeping it real". It's the holy rollers we have to worry about! Like those pervy republicans and church leaders!
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Amosboy

• Music is the panacea.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »
Thanks Brooks for sharing those wonderful words and for putting clothes on to say it, adds that little bit of gravitas.

Best wishes

Carousel - thanks for the compliment and notice of the fact that I do have pictures to share of myself with "clothes on"  ;D

Please note the definition of gravitas (I had to look it up!)  ;)

In an ancient Roman context, the word gravitas communicated a sense of dignity, seriousness, and duty.

I, however, will probably digress on another post and eventually unrobe again, especially when daydreaming about all of the possibilities of ancient Rome.  More, on that later...I promise without gravitas.  :P

To know me is to smile with me, Brooks
"Love isn't love unless it's not painfully absurb."

-Charlotte Martin

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »
A wonderful post, Brooks, one which I should be sending around to all of those who have told me, 'oh, it's so easy when you are using the internet and everyone is anonymous....'  Yours is one of the faces and voices which continues to defy that attitude and which will hopefully bring more so-called lurkers to our table.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.