POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:58:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23377
  • Latest: Stevieb
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636930
  • Total Topics: 48346
  • Online Today: 304
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Definition Of 'Sexually Active' per Blood Donors  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
Definition Of 'Sexually Active' per Blood Donors
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:04:14 PM »
Oh Just Cool Your Jets,
For Once, This Is Not About ME !!!!      But I have a close friend  who is Gay, HIV NEG  and however somewhat sexually active. ( giving and receiving oral, w/ ejaculation) who wants to donate blood and be an organ donor.  I Just informed him of the sad fact that they will not accept blood from sexually active gay men, per some guideline or another, regardless of ones health. He asked whether he was considered sexually active since he had only had oral sex. Frankly I dont even know where to look for the criteria regarding the status of gay men who want to donate blood.   Oh ya I do.. Here .

Im afraid he may be in for some heartbreak, which doesnt help his recent coming out
but, Id like to give him some correct info.

P.S. Im assumng ofcourse that the restrictions on sexually active Gay men( regardless of HIV Status)
 are still in place for blood donation.....
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Definition Of 'Sexually Active' per Blood Donors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:22:26 PM »
Well, It's been a while since I looked at the all the deferment criteria, but when I last looked, one reason for lifetime deferral was any man who ever had sex with another man, EVEN ONCE, since 1976.
So......  despite Bill Clinton's definition  ::)  I would say that you friend meets this criteria.

Now, trust me when I say that I think it's stupid and not at all necessary -- In fact, I wrote a paper back in Grad school (it was for a Public Health Degree) that argued against the insanity of using same sex experiences as a blanket denial.  Amazingly (again, at that time, things may have changed), if you had had sex with a KNOWN HIV + person of the opposite gender, you were only deferred for one year.

By the way -- I got an A on that paper.
Go figure....

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »
Hey Lwood - as far as I know the policy does prohit guys who only trade blow jobs, even if they wore condoms!

Here is a quote from a legal brief that Lambda Legal filed with the FDA:

The FDAs current guidance document treats protected oral sex
between two men in the context of a monogamous relationship the same as
unprotected anal intercourse between male strangers.

So by that definition your friend is considered sexually active...course I am not sure "protected oral sex" meets my definition of sexually active! :)
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »
I always thought it was a stupid thing, not letting any MSM's donate....I have had negative friends who were more than willing to donate (in my behalf) but could not.   I think it's wrong....but in the same sentence, I have to say a big "thank you" to our blood banks, because I wouldn't be here today without them.   I received so many units of O+ blood back in the mid 90's, I lost count of the number of transfusions....it was well over 40.   At least they didn't discriminate in deciding who to give the blood TO.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:29:25 AM »

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:17:01 AM »
Way, way, way in the back of my mind, I remember reading (an article? something online?) which stated that some (one? group?) is testing the Red Cross restrictions concerning gay men.  It might have been about the Red Cross and its recent, numerous failures.  So there may be a window about blood donations.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:04:09 AM »
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:54:25 AM »
Thanks Guys,
As I suspected , it looks like he falls under the category of ' male sexual contact with a male'  and is subject to the 'deferment'  , Bill Clinton not withstanding, I believe that oral sex is still considered sexual contact by the medical community.
I cant believe that the Red Cross is still using this arcane set of guidelines, is there an organization that is trying to get this changed ?
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline carousel

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:41:31 AM »
These rules were set up in fear and should be re-evaulated.

But I was just thinking about your friend and being 'Sexually Active' as per the Gay thing.

Just wondered if you'd let him know about all the other wonderful things apart from a BJ.  It might take his mind of giving blood.

Charles

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:58:03 AM »

I think the guidelines should be changed to say nothing about sexual orientation but should say something about unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Forget the orientation, that's just a red herring. It's not who you do, it's how you do it!

Just my .02

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream Served since 2004
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »
of course he could just do the reasonable thing and simplie LIE.

I beLIEve in the guidelines.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 07:04:51 PM »
This might be beating a dead horse... but given the fact that HIV has been found in certain human tissue samples from as far back as the 1950s and 1960s, isn't the 1977 cut off date a little... outdated?

I'm not saying that they should push the date back, but rather that it seems to reflect the fact that they insist upon using archaic information to bar blood donors.

Am I surprised that they do this?  Not really.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 08:35:46 PM »
I think there was a push to try to ease the restrictions, but nothing really has changed yet.  Those restrictions are so outdated.  I understand deferring someone if they've had UNPROTECTED sex, but to just issue a blanket ban on homosexuals is ridiculous.  Not to mention we need blood.  I work in the clinical lab.  It is well known that only about 3% of the eligible popluation in the USA actually donates regularly, so if a gay man who isn't out having unprotected sex wants to donate, I say let them.  This past year, we had a severe blood shortage.  Many hospitals couldn't even get full stock in their inventory.  We really were hurting, and we have many frequent fliers where if we see their name on the patient roster, we know they will be getting blood--it's a given.  I remember a few times I had to practically promise them my first born child just to get some extra units to cover our inventory after one patient took our entire inventory of type A blood--yeah the type As can technically get O blood, but you don't just give O blood away to just anyone--especially not the Onegs.  Eventually they begged for people to give on the newscasts. 
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.