Main Forums > Living With HIV

What gives!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Christine:
Jerry,
Hang in there. Changes are hard to make, but the important thing is that you set a goal and keep working towards it. Even when you run into walls. Figure out how to go around them, and keep going.

I also have outstanding hospital bills, even with insurance. It was a hard year for me, and our bills have been pretty high. Call the hospital and set up a payment plan based on your income.
Christine

Oscar:
Jerry,
Call the hospital billing deptartment and see if you can make a payment plan with them based on you income  like Christine suggested . If you can't manage that tell the hospital you can send the X dollars a month until the account is paid in full. Put this in wiritng. I suggest typing a letter explaining what amount you can pay monthly & keep the original in a file.

Then if the hospital agrees to the terms you have stated in your letter Keep up your end of the argreement, pay the amount they agreed on on the date that was agreed on.

I have done this before. Heck I'm still doing it. I'm still paying a hospital bills from 2003 when I got so sick. 50.00 a month. I haven't missed a payment yet & I hope to have it. paid sometime this year.

They will work with you.

Dan

CalvinC:

Dear Jerry

I hope you are focussing on what you need to do just for today; tomorrow can wait.

I don't know anything about insurance etc; I am blessed to be living in Canada where the words "hospital bills" do not resonate. I have no solutions there, but Dan's thoughts sound good.

What moves me is that you say you have no friends. Not so. We here are, unconditionally your friends. But I know too you are thinking about flesh and blood people, where you live. I can but only offer this: my friend Roy, who died in 1987, once said to me when I came to him in much pain about a lost boyfriend, "Be bigger than the situation." I couldn't figure it out, at first. Then I knew. He meant that I might find some grace in acting as if I did have a handle on what was going on.

What I did was to get outside myself: I joined some groups (which ususally costs nothing), volunteered some time (costs nothing), joined a political party. While nothing worked right away, it did over the long term. I realized I was wanted for whatever skills I had--and you too have skills, I am sure. I met like-minded people. I occupied my time.

Did it quell the loneliness? Yes, unreservedly and undoubtedly. No, I didn't bond with everyone I met, but I did with some. And I know you can too.

I know it is hard, Jerry, to pick yourself up when things are down. Life is often not fair nor kind. But you have the soul to tell us, to reach out to us here. Please please consider placing a call to a volunteer agency. They are sure to value you as we all do.

cal

Iggy:

Basquo:
I think all of the responses have good advice.

I work in a large hospital, in a department that codes accounts for billing, and believe me we write off millions each year for various reasons.  Here's how you get proactive:  Each time they call you, call the finacial office and tell them you're being harrassed, and tell them your story.  Tell it again and again.  After a while, everyone in the office will know who you are and they'll start taking action to stop your calls to them.  The squeaky wheel gets written off, I've heard many people say in my office.

And I'm sorry about you having to take the puppies to the pound, but you did the best thing you are able to do.  Being puppies, they are very likely to get good homes.

(((((((((HUG for JERRY)))))))))))

You go, Papi!

Basquo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version