POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 04:50:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620392
  • Total Topics: 46741
  • Online Today: 283
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ATRIPLA questions  (Read 3723 times)

Offline keter

ATRIPLA questions
« on: January 11, 2007, 01:18:24 PM »
HI guys, I'm interested to hear from people who have been previously on Sustiva/Truvada regimen (only)  and switched to Atripla in the last 4-6 months.
I want to know if they're any significant changes in your test results or they remained the same as the previous regimen.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering it but heard around that even though is the same combo of drugs some people see their viral loads getting higher and their T-cell drop.
But I never heard it from anyone taking the actual drug who has been on the same regimen prior to Atripla..
I'd appreciate any input!!!
Thanks

Offline keter

Re: ATRIPLA questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
Hmm. no one huh??  :)

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 09:57:02 PM »
Sorry I don't meet the criteria for what you are looking for but I have seen a bunch of threads on Atripla here.  Maybe if you used the search feature you'd find some previous threads that answer your questions until someone responds directly.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline keter

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 02:08:17 AM »
Thanks for the tip:)
I did that prior to posting but all I see is mainly initial side effects mainly of Sustiva, but nothing from people switching from two pills to the Atripla one of the same 3 drugs!!
Will keep on researching:)

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 06:47:20 AM »
I recall seeing some posts of people who were initially on the two drugs so that they wouldn't waste the Atripla, if it turns out that the Sustiva or Truvada were intolerable...it may have been o thebody.com....

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:54:32 AM »
my doctor gave me the drugs separately for the first month of treatment to see if i could tolerate them and switched me to Atripla. Honestly i didn't notice any difference between taking it in 2 pills or 1. It's my 6 month of treatment and the Sustiva side effects seem to be about the same. The usual dreams and CNS isssues but as far as labs go i was >50  since the first month, same for month 3 and i have been 100% adherent so i expect to be >50 in march when i have my next follow up.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline keter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 04:15:50 PM »
Thanks for the input. Also, just for the record, I've been on Truvada and Sustiva as my first med combination, for the last two years with excellent results. That's why I'm not willing so much to risk the benefits if there's anything wrong with the formulation in one pill. What's one, what's two pills....

Offline pinkadam

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
Iam on Truvada and Sustiva Since SEP 06. It iseems to be working well for me apart from sleeplessness.
My doctor want to switch to Atripala and i rejected his advice as some people tend to have bad reaction to one pill.

Price wise atripla cost same as truvada and sustiva combined and i dont encourage anyone to move to Atripla as it is known to act differently.

Some people did posted that they experienced severe rashes all over the body. But HIV medication acts differtently on every one.
Also you always switch back to sustiva and truvada if atripala is giving any side effects.

I hope this helps.

Offline phantim

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 04:42:51 PM »
I started on Sustiva/Combivir 1/04 and switched to Sustiva/Truvada 1/05. Then to Atripla a 7/06. I noticed no difference in side effects except that the Sustiva "haze" takes a little longer to kick in with Atripla than it did as a separate pill. There are studies out there proving Atripla's effectiveness as compared to the separate components of Efavirenz, Emtricitabine, Tenofovir. (some interent digging will find the studies as I can't remember where I found them - I think it was on The Body-Pro)
As far as labs go, mine are the best they have ever been. CD4-808, VL <50.
I really can't complain too much. I do hate the "fogginess" I feel most days though. I tell the doc's about this every time I see one of them, simply because they actually believe all that crap about the "side effects resolving in a few weeks". MY ASS! I still get all the drunk-like dizziness to this very day. But, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd would still prefer non-nuke side effects over PI side effects any day.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 12:35:55 AM »
Keter,

I started on Sustiva/Truvada in Sept 2006 then switched to Atripla in Nov 2006. I was taking the Truvada and Sustiva at the same time every night 9:30 PM I would follow the guidlines not to eat at least 2 hrs before taking it or wait an hour after I take it.

I get the Sustiva high from time to time at night but I sleep OK. SInce I was Taking the Sustiva/Truvada together at the same time I believe this helped me to have no adjustment to Atripla either.

I went fro 48,000 VL right before meds to 131 in one month. I'm Undetectible now.

Offline jchris1990

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »
New user to the site but I've been reading the forums for sometime.
Started Meds April 06, Sustiva/Truvada. I began the regime before bedtime. Dreams were cool and I enjoyed that, but had problems sleeping. Typical dizziness and nausea the first two weeks but that soon went away. Had a terrible issue with gas/bloating in that time as well but stopped in a couple weeks. The sleep issue continued so I began taking the meds an hour later each night for a week until I was taking them in the morning. Dreams went away "too bad", but I was able to sleep. The drunk feeling in the morning is really not that bad for me, very tolerable. I eat breakfast 2 hours later.
I continued that regime till mid November when I switched to Atripla. I've had one lab since the switch and my numbers are still undetectable/ t's 400 @ 29%. I haven't had any major change since the switch. I am hoping that my t's increase more but the Dr. is not too concerned.

I hope this helps. Been positive since 1990 and as I said just started med last spring.

Offline koi1

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
My doc asked me to go on atripla, but I got her to keep me for another month on sustiva +truvada. I have heard of people having issues with the switch and I just did not want to have one more thing to worry about. In a month and a half, I will probably switch to atripla. My doc says she has not heard of any bad effects or efficacy issues witht the switch, but was understanding.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »
HEY KETER....
I STARTED ON THE SUSTIVA/TRUVADA COMBO LAST JUNE (TRUVADA IN THE AM, SUSTIVA AT NIGHT) AND IT WORKED WELL.  THIS WAS MY FIRST COMBO AND IT BROUGHT MY VIRAL LOAD TO <50 AND CD4 IS AT 725.   I SWITCHED TO ATRIPLA IN NOVEMBER SINCE 1 CO-PAY IS BETTER THAN 2, AND TOOK IT AT BEDTIME.  I HAVE ALWAYS HAD INSOMNIA ISSUES BUT IT GOT REALLY BAD TAKING ALL THE MEDS AT ONCE.   SO I SWITCHED BACK TO THE TWO DRUGS IN DECEMBER THINKING THAT THINGS WOULD GO BACK TO SEMI-NORMAL.   THAT DID NOT HAPPEN.  SO, THANKS TO THIS SITE, I LEARNED THAT SOME TAKE THE SUSTIVA IN THE MORNING SO I STARTED DOING THAT BUT THE ONE 600mg DOSE WAS WAY TO WACKY FOR ME (DIZZY/DRUNK FEELING AT WORK) SO I CHANGED TO TAKING 3x200mg CAPSULES OF SUSTIVA THROUGHOUT THE MORNING TO SPREAD OUT THE "HIT".   THAT IS WORKING BUT OBVIOUSLY IS A PAIN (3 PILLS INSTEAD OF 1).   SO HAD I KNOWN THAT CHANGING TO ATRIPLA WAS GOING CREATE ADDITIONAL ISSUES THAT WERE NOT REVERSIBLE....I WOULD HAVE NEVER MADE THE CHANGE.  THE ONE THING I AM LEARNING IS THAT THIS DISEASE AFFECTS EACH OF US DIFFERENTLY SO THE BEST WE CAN DO IS BE ARMED WITH INFO AHEAD OF TIME AND MAKE A DECISION...AND HOPE IT WAS THE RIGHT ONE! HOPE THIS HELPS!

BE WELL...

CRAIG
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Jwhite8040

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:29 AM »
Hi,
My doctor made the switch with me. I had no side effects at all before and still have side effects. Still undectable an t cells rising slowly from 600 to 700.

Offline keter

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 02:10:36 PM »
Wanted to thank you all that replied. My feeling is the ones that used long term the two pills and then switching to Atripla is that they don't have a "drop" in numbers but rather some or more side effects from Sustiva.... I personallly take the 2 pills together the first time I wake up for the bathroom (shut up I'm forty now and I'm allowed to get up..lol) around 4-5 am because I don't want it to interfere with food at all... Very rarely I had side effects from Sustiva.. Only once or twice I felt the high and I'm not complaining for that!! :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.