POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2015, 11:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 653848
  • Total Topics: 49979
  • Online Today: 199
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sibling diagnosed with HIV x 3 weeks. Initial shock and difficulty coping  (Read 543 times)

Offline Fam_Love2014

A loved one who is very dear to me, (my sibling), was recently diagnosed with HIV.  I have taken this very hard.  I understand the prognosis of this illness, which is good, as long as an individual seeks treatment appropriately.  However, I am having a difficult time coping with this and I feel overwhelmed in my research concerning HIV.  I want to be there for my sibling and provide emotional support, while also being knowledgeable concerning HIV, but I am currently struggling with this role.  Is there any positive advice and resources that can be provided to assist family members and a newly diagnosed individual?

Offline zach

Re: Sibling diagnosed with HIV x 3 weeks. Initial shock and difficulty coping
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:05 AM »
IMO, taken with salt...

Full stop on the research. Information overload and paralysis by analysis, all it really does is add to general stress levels. You've probably already absorbed more than you really need to.

It's good to be educated, but unnecessary to become an expert, especially in the case of family support network. Your role is support if they falter, be cautious of getting in front of your sibling, don't lead.

Be the normal in their life, a comfort they can go back to. Give them something else to think and talk about; a moment's distraction from the fight. Observe closely though, if you see the seams coming apart, maybe then change your posture.

If they are in medical treatment, and taking their meds diligently... you can and should relax. The markers that will inform you; their viral load, and CD4 count. If their CD4 is less than 200, maybe time to worry a little bit, but no matter what it is it'll work out and never cause for panic. Viral load, no matter how high it is, how scary that number is, with treatment it can be suppressed and controlled.

Take them out for a steak and a beer to celebrate Undetectable Viral Load, that is probably our single most important goal, but be patient it can take time. Once achieved, the rest is a mostly head game. There is very little (next to nothing) we can directly do to affect CD4 count, if they start low, it's a long process. Don't pester every month, be patient with the long game.

Learning to live with the virus, put the emphasis on live. Not letting the virus define us. Those are big challenges. That is where I think you have the most to offer.

Let their medical team be that side of the equation, you can best serve them in other ways.

If I could give you only one piece of advice. Be the normal that they lost. Whatever you two did before, go do more of that.

Does your sibling have any positive people to talk to? No offense to you at all, you obviously love and care for them. But I can tell you from experience, early on, it really helps to be able to talk to others that have been through it.

Either way, get them in here, lot of love in here.
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Offline Fam_Love2014

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
Zach,

Thank you so much for the advice.  I really appreciate it and it was greatly needed.  Thank you for taking time and shedding light on the situation!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:43:18 AM »
However, I am having a difficult time coping with this and I feel overwhelmed in my research concerning HIV.  I want to be there for my sibling and provide emotional support, while also being knowledgeable concerning HIV, but I am currently struggling with this role.  Is there any positive advice and resources that can be provided to assist family members and a newly diagnosed individual?

Difficult time coping in what way? Read the lessons on this site and then STOP reading other stuff for awhile.
I agree with Zach.  Its the doctors who are experts as per the knowledge of HIV and its treatment.
Suggest your sibling join this site.
If he/she isn't in a bad way for the infection, the best is to be matter of fact, can do, secure, calm, and not "overly" supportive or concerned, unless or until he/she asks for some sort of support.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline harleymc

By the way HIV is not a disease! It is an infection. Big Distinction.

Having HIV doesn't preclude good even excellent health. Your sib will just have to be proactive about his/her health.

Offline Dan0

Hello, FAM

I can certainly understand how difficult it has been for you - but take some steps back and shut down the research. 

How did you find out about your sibling's condition?  Did they actually come out and tell you and was it on their terms?  If not - or if there was any force or need to disclose, then you may be offering support that is possibly not needed or wanted by them.  It's all about them - not you or anyone else until they say so.

I can think of nothing worse in my beginning days than to have someone hovering over me, discussing my infection and treatment options and asking questions that they probably otherwise would not if it were any other infection or disease. That daily reminder comes in many forms and - like Zach said - those days you just want to compartmentalize it, handle it and go on as normal as possible.

Then, there are days they actually may WANT to discuss these things.  A simple, "How are you doing?" is all that is needed and then they'll take it from there.  If THAT day isn't the day to discuss, you'll get a "fine" - if they want to discuss - you may get more and that's completely up to them.
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.