HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

HIV 1/2 Screen RFLX WB Non-Reactive Non-Reactive?

(1/5) > >>

mightymouse:
Happy Holidays,
This question is regarding testing.  My last test was last year and it came out negative.  Since then I have been with two ladies and made the mistake of having u/p sex.  The first woman, had evidence of a recent negative test through an MD.  The second one could provide the same documentation, but had a former husband that was an IV drug user.  The second lady and I only had u/P sex one time.  Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,
MM

Ann:
MM,

Are you aware that a test result is only valid for the period of time three months BEFORE the date of the test? That is because hiv has a three month window period.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

As you've had unprotected intercourse, you need to test. A test at the three month point after the last incident will be conclusive.

Ann

mightymouse:
Thanks, I assume a test at the six week mark would not be valid?  I did question both of my former lady friends.  The first one could provide a valid information of recent testing, the second woman could as well, but her ex husband was a IV drug user.  I plan to get a rapid test, tommorrow morning.  thanks

Coffeechick88:
6 weeks is very encouraging, since the vast majority of positives will test positive by then.  However, a test at the 3 month mark is still needed for a definitive result.

Ann:
MM,

I agree with Coffee and want to add something else.

You cannot go by what someone else tells you about their hiv status unless you are in a monogamous relationship with them and you have tested together. People have been known to lie, produce forged test results, have real test results but "forget" about an encounter in the mean time... get the picture? And a lot of people just assume they are negative.

They ONLY way to know your own hiv status is through testing YOURSELF. Until you are in a position to know with 100% certainty your partner's status, you need to use condoms. Every time. No exceptions.

If you are saying you've had a six week negative, as long as you keep using condoms I don't expect that result to change - but you need to confirm that result at the three month point.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version