Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Company Sees Success In HIV-Associated Fat Loss Drug - TH9507

(1/1)

Tucsonwoody:
FYI:

by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: December 23, 2006  4:00 pm ET

(Montreal, Quebec) Theratechnologies says results from the Phase 3 clinical trial of its TH9507 drug found an average 15 per cent reduction in visceral fat tissue after 26 weeks, compared with an increase of five per cent in the placebo group.

The drug is designed to treat abdominal fat accumulation and the loss of peripheral subcutaneous fat in HIV patients, as well as lipid and carbohydrate disorders. Both can cause cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

CEO Yves Rosconi said the company will begin a second study during the first quarter of 2007 and more data will be released in the coming year.

Theratechnologies noted that there isn't an approved treatment for HIV-associated lipodystrophy, which affects about 250,000 HIV patients in North America and Europe.

The test covered 412 patients in 43 centers across North America and Rosconi thanked them.

``They enrolled willingly and with large numbers and they stuck with us, as reflected in a dropout rate that came in at 20 per cent versus the anticipated 30 per cent. This may also be indicative of a patient-friendly drug.''

The company said the drug test showed decreased cholesterol levels, while triglyceride levels also fell ``significantly.''

Rosconi said there will be some-side effects from the drug, but ``we know we have an edge in terms of the safety profile.''

``I have to say that among the hundreds of biotechs in Canada, very few have reached Phase 3 and fewer still have achieved positive Phase 3 clinical results on their own. For us, this is like a dream come true.''

bobino:

Thanks for posting this.  I had heard nothing about this previously.  I had no idea that there was a lipo drug that was already in Phase III trials.  Please keep us posted.

J.R.E.:
hello,

Yes,,  thanks for posting... Be nice if I could get rid of this prego gut someday...

Ray

J.R.E.:

Made me check the latest news from this site, and found this ( I missed it) :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/news/am20061221.html

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version