POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 12:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639091
  • Total Topics: 48515
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Changing my regimen almost entirely  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Jody

Changing my regimen almost entirely
« on: December 20, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »
I trust my doctor, I was quite ill when I first walked through the door of his office 11 years ago to begin taking meds for the first time.

I have been on Viramune, Truvada and Videx (generic Didanosine) for a while now...My doctor of course gave me a choice, we are never forced, but he seemed to have really soured on Videx in my regimen and I believe also soured somewhat on Viramune for me from his tone.

So I will begin next month (It's no rush I still have almost a months supply) on the same Truvada, but I will be adding Reyataz (300mg) and Norvir (100mg),  This will constitute 3 pills, all at once, daily...It will be my easiest regimen ever.

My counts are actually Ok, t-cells at 234 (about my average), VL undetectable- it nearly always is, PCT at 16%- I started at 4% in 1996 or so, and ratio of 0.42, not too bad for me...I guess the slightly higher liver enzymes were foremost in his decision but it may have been more than that....He asked if I really wanted to do it, my choice entirely, I could stick with the same regimen but I said I would try the new one if he felt it best.  He seemed confident.

So next month I will start them and look out for gastro-intestinal issues and yellowing of the eyes. 

Wish me luck and if anyone is on this regimen do chime in.

Take care, Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
Re: Changing my regimen almost entirely
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:01:22 PM »
I'm glad to see you ridding yourself of the Videx.  It gave me Pancreatitis and kidney stones in 1994 when I was taking it as monotherapy.  The Viramune is also a "dated" drug and there are better options nowadays.

Like you, I have been on HAART therapy of 1 NNRTI and 2 NRTI's for over 10 years now.  My MD and I have been discussing the combo of the PI's Reyataz 300mg + Norvir 100mg Z+ the NtRTI Truvada.  GOOD LUCK and keep us posted.  Here's a link you might want to look at before you start taking the Reyataz.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2006/021567s007lbl.pdf
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 02:52:55 PM »
Personally, I think Reyataz/Truvada is a dream and so do most of my friends (who I know on treatment, seems popular in London). The yellow thing passes in 10 days-3 weeks, and don't come back provided you lay off the quart bottles of vodka (note to self, drink more wine, 1 bottle wine = yellow eyes next day, 3 = clear, weird).  The extra bilirubin either comes out in your wee or your poo.  Dunno why it varies from day to day. I have had very good results viral load and CD4 wise. A slight thing I notice: maybe tan more easily/look less hotel towel white, a gd thing for me cos my natural complexion is akin to a sheet of photocopier paper (I'd make a good Goth if I was 20 yrs younger and living in a different decade).

However,  as with all drugs a fraction of people's allergic to it, go like go banana yellow (this happened to a friend, I mean banana, he had to go the Kaletra route),  + about 1 in 600 will get (largely unreported, do so docs...) rapid reversible fat gain, like beer belly fat, on starting. <<< this really should get reported properly so it can get into the prescribing info*

It is , the studies & my cholesterol/triglyceride nos say, kind to lipids. Indeed, my cholesterol ratings have got better since starting.

300mg cap just licensed in US so 1 less pill too soon :) (total will therefore be 3 tabs 1 x day if doing Truvada).

- matt

* Source: 2 top London docs who "don't see the need to avail themselves of the UK Yellow Card system for adverse reactions ???
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:27:28 PM »
Jodykins

I missed this thread  (note to self--pay more attention!)

But anyway this sounds like a good move if for no other reason than  its a simple once a day regimen.

Good luck buddy and let us know how you're doing.

RAB

(Who adores Jody   :-*)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 07:48:37 PM »
Hi Jody!

As you know, no first hand experience here, but plenty of good wishes. I hope the switch goes well for you and I'll be keeping my eyes open for an update in January.

((((Bro))))

I'll be thinking of you.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 07:56:55 PM »

* Source: 2 top London docs who "don't see the need to avail themselves of the UK Yellow Card system for adverse reactions ???

Thankfully, the Wizard of Poz is adamant about filling them out. It was one of the first things he did when I had an adverse to the hep b jab. I guess he would be that way inclined, being a pharmacologist, but I wish other docs would follow suit. I would hazard a guess that some discount the yellow card system the same way they tend to discount the side effects themselves. (ie - side effects = tolerable, therefore, yellow cards = unneeded) 

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 08:12:25 PM »
Hello Jody,

Wishing you the best on the new regimen !!

Take care of yourself------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 09:02:45 PM »
Jody,

Best of luck with this new regimen.   You know I changed in May of this year, and have done well (changed from Viramune, Viread and Combivir to Viramune and Truvada).   Norvir is one I have taken in the past, but never have been on Reyetaz....

Wishing you the best, as always!

Love & hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline cubbybear

• Joined August 2005.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:24:06 PM »
Hey Jody.

It's good to drop the Videx when you are on Viread (it's a component of Truvada), as Viread increases the plasma levels of Videx which can cause some rather unpleasant reactions, and in the long term wouldn't be a great idea.  So to drop it from your regimine would make good sense to me if you are on Viread or Truvada.

Truvada with Reyataz sounds like a great combo, I wish you lots of luck with it.  Easy to take combos are always a good thing.

hugs
Matt
There's a bear in there!
Positive since 2000
Diagnosed 17/9/2005 CD4 35 VL 293,000
Meds 23/9/2005 Sustiva/Truvada
Currently CD4 232 VL Undetectable

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 12:53:52 AM »

My bad too jody.  I just read this tonight.
(note to self...do as RAB says, pay more attention).

Anyway, I am on this routine and I've got nothing but hosannas to sing.  I started 3 years ago at 18 t-cells.  I just got my results back from last month's tests.  T-cells currently standing at 609 (38%).  I've been undetectable since the 3rd month.

I had the yellowing of the skin and eyes.  That went away.  Still have bowel problems....constipation. 

Depression and lethargy.  Ennui I call it.  Not sure if that's from the drugs or the virus.  However, our good friend from Canada, cowandalehouse, just the other day posted this, a biological link between HIV and depression..

I'm usually not too good with these medical papers but I got through this one and it seems to make sense.

Anyway, good luck jodykins.  I'll be thinking about you.

robert

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.