Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

How does circumsicion prevent HIV ?

(1/2) > >>

AsOne:
 Just saw a news report on the CBC that says circumsicion ( sp?) - lopping off the male foreshin - prevents HIV .
 Hopefully there are no "dum questions" at this forum -

How exactly does it do that ?

I thought the only worry was if you experience a tear in the skin, anus or vagina and it gets exposed to bodily fluids which enter through the tear into the bloodstream.

Tucsonwoody:
From what I have seen on these forums - no such thing as a dumb question - except the one that is never asked - so ask away anytime.

Some answers here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/13/AR2006121301155.html

From the Washington Post article

Circumcision, which removes the foreskin from a man's penis, eliminates the cells most vulnerable to HIV infection, researchers say. A circumcised penis also develops thicker skin that's resistant to infection.

From the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/health/13cnd-hiv.html?hp&ex=1166072400&en=964199d016c706a2&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Uncircumcised men are thought to be more susceptible to AIDS because the underside of the foreskin is rich in Langerhans’ cells, which attach easily to the virus. The foreskin may also suffer small tears during intercourse, making it more susceptible to infection.

Ann:
Hi AsOne,

Circumcision does NOT "prevent" hiv infection and I wish the media would quit reporting it like that. It may REDUCE the chance of infection, but prevent? No way.

There is a very big danger with the way the media reports this development - circumcised men will think they don't need condoms to prevent hiv infection. So far, condoms, when used correctly and consistently, are the only thing that has been proven to prevent hiv infection.

Ann

Pippet:
Thank you, Ann.
I am a circumsized "Top" who contracted HIV.
Cut or Uncut, wrap it up. ;)

RapidRod:
It says in the article that it MAY reduce the risk and that is not a cure all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version