POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:33:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636521
  • Total Topics: 48312
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 123
Total: 126

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diabetic Treatment can possibly be used to cure HIV  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Diabetic Treatment can possibly be used to cure HIV
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »
http://www.actions-traitements.org/spip.php?breve2607

Diabetic drug may be linked to cure for HIV (06 07 2006)
jeudi 6 juillet 2006

Diabetic drug may be linked to cure for HIV University scientist tests drug in last stages of FDA approval

By PHILLIP BLUME Published , July 06, 2006, 06:00:01 AM EDT

A potential cure for HIV may have been discovered by a research team that includes University scientists.

Neither the University of Georgia nor the drug company that produces the potentially HIV-curing drug have officially announced the new treatment, which is still in its last phases of clinical studies. Already used to treat a chronic condition associated with diabetics, the drug is designed for long-term use and would be less harmful than other HIV drugs.

Thomas Hodge, a senior research scientist at the University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, is hopeful about its prospects.

DRUG FACTS What : Potential cure for HIV Who : A team of scientists including Thomas Hodge, James L. Murray, William A. O’Brien and Don Ruben Why : The 25 drugs used to treat HIV work by shutting off genes or proteins of the virus, but that approach is not a permanent solution since the virus can mutate. When : Human trials of the drug are expected to begin January 2007. “The existence of this useable drug put us ahead by ten years,” Hodge said. “Now we can cut to the chase.”

The “chase” is getting the drug to the tens of millions of people diagnosed with HIV worldwide, if it passes clinical studies.

Hodge is now waiting for drug samples to test on cell cultures, which he feels certain will be a success.

“We know what the drug does, and it’s exactly what we need it to do,” Hodge said. “It works so well, researchers are saying they’ve never seen anything like it.” It’s just a matter of doing the cell cultures and getting the FDA to approve the drug’s use for HIV, he added.

The FDA process for approving the drug is in progress, according to Hodge. He expects to see human trials of the drug as early as January 2007.

The 25 drugs used to treat HIV work by shutting off genes or proteins of the virus. But this approach isn’t a permanent solution since the virus can mutate, rendering a drug ineffective,

said Harold Bolton, client service coordinator of AIDS Athens.

For this reason, patients undergoing treatment for HIV must change to a new drug each time the virus learns to bypass the old one.

By focusing instead on blocking genes within the human cell, Hodge’s method would give the immune system a chance to completely eradicate the HIV virus.

“It hit us in the face pretty hard,” said Hodge, referring to the initial breakthrough he and fellow researchers made last fall.

While studying genes that help transport viruses from one human cell to another, a clinical researcher at the University of Texas, Don Ruben, presented Hodge with a previously unidentified protein that can be used to “shut off” an infected cell’s catalytic site - the port where viruses disembark and spread to other cells.

When the protein is knocked out, it essentially cuts off the cell so the HIV virus can’t replicate itself and spread, Hodge said.

Hodge and his team already had identified 23 genes that produced proteins necessary for the exportation of HIV to other cells. According to Hodge, theoretically these proteins can be blocked, stopping the virus from spreading.

During a procedural search of existing drugs, Hodge’s team found one that perfectly matched the newly discovered protein.

Hodge thinks treatment will be as simple as taking one pill, once per day, for four or five years.

If this prediction about the drug is realistic, it could make fighting HIV in Africa and third-world countries easier, Hodge said.

“People have known about viruses since 1895,” Hodge said, “and now we’re finally close to curing those sons of bitches.”
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Atripla_User

Re: Diabetic Treatment can possibly be used to cure HIV
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »
WOW

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »
If I had a $1 to guess the target, I would say it was something to do with the GTPase Rab9. Is this going to be a cure? I don't think so, I think that is more irresponsible journalism. How would a drug combat latency to cure the virus? Sure, it will stop viral spread from the cell, but how is it going to decrease the latent pool? Without doing that, you would have to be on the drug for life.

HOWEVER, this is a SIGNIFICANT step in the right direction and I hope it will establish a paradigm for future research.

R.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
Perhaps it may not be a cure. A cure in itself in many diseases are not available but people continue to live a long life using medication. Such as diabetics. A cure is not the only thing we should look forward to but better treatment options to keep us healthier.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 11:48:46 AM »
Totally agree with that, and something better than what we have now is a start as I put. However, it shouldn't be the goal.

I'm changing my bet to $0.01 that it is Rab9, I've done some more reading.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
Hey HIVWorker

I actually wrote to the doctor conducting this trial and he claims that it is too soon to tell how effective his theory is. But he does have good prospects that this may be a treatment option in the near future and not so much a cure in itself without the use of other drugs. He also claims that Integrase Inhibitors that will be out soon are very good drugs that show promise and he claims that another research team in california has another potential drug that looks even better than Integrase Inhibitors.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
This has got to be one of the most bogus  "cure articles" I've seen to date.   The alleged guy from the University of Texas would be here in Austin where I live and had he developed any cure I'm sure it would have at least made the local news ; )

What's more is the drug's name is never mentioned at all.   I've become fairly familiar with an array of diabetic drugs since my mom deals with it on a daily basis and I'm not aware of any she's taking or any of her friends that cure anything.  And, doesn't it seem unsusual that none of the positive folks who are also diabetic are so diabolical that they aren't sharing this cure with the rest of us?

Me thinks this article is a FAKE!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:06:55 PM by AustinWesley »
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 12:05:19 PM »
Don't get me wrong here, I am an advocate of new research. However, I am also an advocate of responsible journalism too. Saying this stuff will "Cure" HIV is, by the author of the study, a stretch.

Someone asked me to read this over, so I did and I provided my take on the story. Don't focus on my criticism of the journalism, but do focus on the part where I say it is exciting.

R

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:13:15 PM »
Austin

I agree with you that perhaps it is irresponsible journalism. But would you rather hear people continue to say there is absolutely no cure to this disease and a cure is far far away?

I think journalist and even some scientist/doctors get over-excited when they find that something in pre-clinical trials works well. I don't like it when they use cure often without much information and facts but I must confess that it heals the pain a little when you areliving with HIV to hear/read articles like this. Even though my brain is telling me "yeah right".

As I mentioned earlier, a cure may not be possible very soon, but I do have faith that better treatment that s less toxic is possible to find within the next few years. 

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »
That's ridiculous.   No, phony articles do not instill hope in people.   In fact, I feel they do just the opposite because we've all been inundated with this kind of crap.

I think most rational people don't want false stories tossed at them daily.   I don't live on false hopes!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »
My view is that you call a shovel a shovel. A spoon is not a shovel. It is a step in the right direction, but is nothing more. I agree with Austin on this one. Far too many times we read stories that say, "Potential new cure" for HIV only to read the details and realize it is nothing of the sort. They might be better treatments but they are often not a cure. It is reporting like this that, in my opinion, is one of the reasons the general public are becoming immune to HIV. You hit people over the head with stories of imminent cures and they will start to think that the end is in sight. The field of HIV has suffered too many false dawns and has become skeptical and that skepticism is justified as no cure has come and nothing that is in clinical trials looks like one from where I am sitting. I'm sorry if that is harsh, but that is the reality. Does that mean there is no hope? Of course not. Does that mean that significant improvements are not being made to current therapy? Of course not. Does this mean that a cure is a year away? Of course not. Report it for what it is and not what we all WISH it was. That will cut down on the number of times people's hopes are dashed and the general public has to hear that the end of the nightmare is coming, when it isn't.

R

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »
As i said i agree. But if you read the title of the article it states "linked" to a cure. In my point of view that does not mean the cure has been found but there has been a direction or theory that can create a cure. I would rather focus on treatment at this point than cure, because as HIVWORKER said a cure is likely not going to be found in a year or soon enough. As far as misleading people with minimizing the impact of HIV and articles like this that may make people less worried about getting HIV, i think does play a role but does that mean that all new discoveries in science should be kept in lock secret? Should people wait until 99% effective to talk. Imagine the impact that would have on people who are already sick. But why should we dismiss a possible existing drug therapy used on other illnesses? Anyhow, the point I am trying to bring is that if we want only news where it is effective 99% or more then why are we learning and readong more about it? Why bother to read and educate ourselves.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 01:09:15 PM »
A potential cure for HIV may have been discovered by a research team that includes University scientists.

I beg to differ. That indicates that this therapy might cure HIV. I argue it will not. The study leader says not too, by your post. A potential cure it is NOT. A potential new TREATMENT it is.

The issue might seem like semantics, and is on some level, but it is as important as the "Normal life" semantics that raise eyebrows in the LIVING section. I don't see what other conclusion you can read when you give a topic a title, "Diabetic treatment can possibly be used to cure HIV". Surely a more apt title would be, "Diabetic treatment gives new hope in treatment for HIV".

It's not an issue of non-reporting of scientific data, it IS an issue on accurate reporting. I'm not saying don't report things, I am saying report them CORRECTLY. You yourself agree that there is potential harm in not doing so.

Rich
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 01:12:15 PM by HIVworker »

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »
My view is that you call a shovel a shovel. A spoon is not a shovel. It is a step in the right direction, but is nothing more. I agree with Austin on this one. Far too many times we read stories that say, "Potential new cure" for HIV only to read the details and realize it is nothing of the sort. They might be better treatments but they are often not a cure. It is reporting like this that, in my opinion, is one of the reasons the general public are becoming immune to HIV. You hit people over the head with stories of imminent cures and they will start to think that the end is in sight. The field of HIV has suffered too many false dawns and has become skeptical and that skepticism is justified as no cure has come and nothing that is in clinical trials looks like one from where I am sitting. I'm sorry if that is harsh, but that is the reality. Does that mean there is no hope? Of course not. Does that mean that significant improvements are not being made to current therapy? Of course not. Does this mean that a cure is a year away? Of course not. Report it for what it is and not what we all WISH it was. That will cut down on the number of times people's hopes are dashed and the general public has to hear that the end of the nightmare is coming, when it isn't.

R

WELL SAID!   I hadn't considered all of the negative implications and impact of these fairytales.   It's no wonder the media in the US doesn't bother to report anything about HIV or AIDS.  

It's a sad reality that Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie are frontline news, but for those who are sitting around literally dying on waiting lists for HIV meds couldn't get air time to save their life!

My point is I think wreckless journalism is partially at fault.    You can only cry wolf so many times before people quit listening.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 01:25:08 PM »
You can be right and I agree with you AUSTIN, the journalist misleads people. But it did catch our attention, by catching people's attention you are also causing a buzz with the science community. Most scientist/ researchers I am sure laughed at this when they first read it. But don't you think they have the curiosity to prove this reasearcher wrong? Perhaps they have another piece of the puzzle to find a cure.

I see it this way. all these theories and studies are pieces of puzzles. You can elect to believe that One researcher or team will complete the puzzle and start from zero and complete the puzzle or you can elect to use people theories and studies to conclude your own puzzle. I honestly think that the cure will be based on trial and error and until EVERY possibility is proven wrong then that will be when a cure or no cure will be found. Perhaps this was a publicity stunt the researcher/doctor wanted to do to wake all other scientist up to a different approach in treatment and cures. Unfortunately our feelings and hopes are many times played around with. But if there is no communication amongst researchers and people then it would take longer to find a solution.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »
A publicity stunt to wake up other researchers it wasn't. I am an HIV researcher and I didn't laugh at this. I took it seriously. However, the way to "Wake up other researchers" would be to publish the DATA in a PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL so we can make our own conclusions. Making claims without data is hogwash. I imagine that ego has more to do with it, or an active publicity department trying to drum up funds? I've seen it go like that before...

R

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 01:37:18 PM »
Ok. Perhaps you are right. You know more than I do because you work in this field.
But like you said, You took it seriously but also said you

"HOWEVER, this is a SIGNIFICANT step in the right direction and I hope it will establish a paradigm for future research."

So if this researcher found a different method and road to treat and find a cure to this disease, perhaps he will in determined time have a peer reviewed journal publish it. Perhaps it already did and we dont know. Or it could sadly be an ego thing like you said.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 01:43:32 PM »
I said that because being rational about research can make it look like I just poo poo everything. I don't. I like to be objective and have some hope too.

R

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »
Hope,  I'm starting to think you need therapy here ;)    I understand you want to hear what you want to hear, but there are all kinds of people out there who don't have our or your best interests at heart.  

I've read tons of entertaining cures.   One was on the electrification of people's blood.    Now, I wonder how many people are going to try that.   I don't agree that any of these far fetched ideas and misrepresented studies are creating a positive buzz!

I don't even read most of them now and I've only been diagnosed 9 months and I already am already suffering from bullshit article fatigue! Imagine the wonderful buzz it's creating for the scientific and world news media.  

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »
Hey HIVWorker

I actually wrote to the doctor conducting this trial and he claims that it is too soon to tell how effective his theory is. But he does have good prospects that this may be a treatment option in the near future and not so much a cure in itself without the use of other drugs. He also claims that Integrase Inhibitors that will be out soon are very good drugs that show promise and he claims that another research team in california has another potential drug that looks even better than Integrase Inhibitors.

Hope,  How did I miss this before?   You have written to this doctor?   Why not cut and paste the "correspondence" here for all to see?   Hell, why not invite him in to discuss it himself if he's that willing to talk?

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 02:59:02 PM »
Don´t fight. It is Christmas!   :-*
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 03:12:43 PM »
I have to admit, that saying someone needs therapy for not agreeing appears a little OTT. I am OK with having a discussion, but let's not get nasty about this.

R

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 03:24:07 PM »
LOL,  that's why I put the smiley face there!   I'm more than willing to debate, and people need to learn to take a little razzing here and there.

I  just am asking now to see this correspondence?   Can we focus on that?

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 12:53:08 PM »
Hey HIVWORKER and AUSTIN

I am gone for a few hours and I am being told I need therapy?

I actually do need therapy, but because of all the negativity going around me. :o)

Anyhow in case you two have not read my responses carefully I did say "i agree:" with most of your opinions and comments. That doesn't mean you guys are right about it all. You guys remind me of a counselor who I had who was pesimistic about all clinical trials and theories on new treatments and cure, I had to console her when she gave me my results. I understood her frustration and sadness because she lost a brother a while ago so she probably still feels hurt. Perhaps I one day will become like you two when my patience has reached a low point and get aggrevated at news of new cures that don't seem likely.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
Hey Hope,

Personally, I am optimistic.   I just know that I read everything I could find at first and some of it looked very legit and then I would be like uh, all the time I wasted.

I was just teasing ya.  I don't think ya need therapy ;)   But, I fell for several of the various phony research articles and read so many stories on people selling snake oil I got fed up.

That's why I wanted to see what correspondence you had with this doctor.   

We have one here in Austin with a totally bogus website who's injecting people with God knows what and charging them a fortune.   The whole deal sounds very suspicious to me and I can't believe people are paying her.   She sounds like a whacko and I'm concerned this happens far too often!

Peace!

Wesley

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »
Hey Austin

It's ok. I totally understand where you are coming from. But as I said earlier I met with two people when I recently found out i was poz one was a counselor and second was a doctor who was not an expert on the disease and they both basically made me feel like it was the end for me.

Because of them I have tried to seek other people who have different opinions, NOT necessarily false opinions but people who believe that this is not the end for me and there are far more people (experts) who believe that treatment will improve and there are many things to look forward to. Since we can't have it all in life I would at least like to hear someone who is exaggerating than someone who is telling me there is no hope for me but to live life as best I can for the next few years. I was actually quite hurt when I had to grasp all my guts and not let people's negativity affect me. Imagine someone who is giving you the results being pesimistic about every question you ask.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.