HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

High exposure+encouragement

(1/3) > >>

cobiz:
Hi everyone, I believe that this is important to share with you for those who might be frightened of bieng infected after a high risk exposure. Recently I had sexual encounter with a woman who tested hiv a few weeks later. We used condoms but unfortunately they got damaged three times. During this time the woman was waiting for her results and immediately after testing positive I also went for a test. This was four weeks after the first exposure and two weeks after the last exposure. I tested negative but still as many of you know I still I have to wait for the 12 weeks to conclude.

Prior to this exposure I had tested myself roughly 7 months ago and the results were also negative. What is interesting is that, I met this woman after she had been in a relationship with another man for a period of more than a year in which they never used condoms and also had intensive sex. She informed the former boyfriend of her hiv status and the man also went for a test. Fortunately, the results came out this week and they were negative. The woman also had some unprotected encounter with a guy prior and during the period with her former boyfriend and the man is yet to tested.

So the point is this, it's really true that a high exposure can be survived and thus I would advice many of us to take the courage and test themselves not matter the risk encountered. I hope I will test negative again in 12 weeks and live my life more carefully.

Morgan:
Cobiz,

What this illustrates is that women do not infect men with the same ease or frequency that men infect women.  The receptive partner has the greatest risk.

Morgan

cobiz:
Morgan, this perception is what is now slowly sinking in my head. But still, it's very unbelievable that after one year of intensive sex with a pos, somebody can still survive hiv contraction. This is why I feel that this is really something encouraging to those who might be exposed especially men. Let's test ourselves as there could be some miracle and a second chance when it comes to hiv infection! 8)

Morgan:
Cobiz,

Actually, it happens more often than you think.  HIV is a very fragile virus.  It is not easily transmitted.  Especially from a woman to a man.  I have heard of many relationships that have gone on for over a year where one is poz and one neg (unknowingly), and transmission fails to occur.  Our own moderator, Ann, can speak from personal experience about this.

Morgan

cobiz:
Ann, could you please shade some light on this topic. I think there is a lot to do with this when it comes to what we call hope and pysche (sp).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version