POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 02:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631745
  • Total Topics: 47828
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 208
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dizziness and now ear ringing.  (Read 3426 times)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Dizziness and now ear ringing.
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:52:26 AM »
Anyone have experience with MS or lyme's disease? Back in August I had a case of the head-spinning's. That went away and I've now got bilateral high-pitched ear ringing. I went to my doc and he said I had no hearing loss and my ears were 'clear'. Therefore he sent me for a MRI to look for cancer, Lyme disease and MS. I was hoping that it would be allergies (although my nose is clear and my eyes don't hurt).

Sorry to sound like a worry well, but I guess this one took me by surprise a little. He says it is unlikely and I trust his professional opinion, but I was wondering about Lymes disease as I have spent many an hour trampling through the undergrowth while fishing in California. I don't remember a red ring rash, but most people don't. I feel a bit stiff, but that could be due to the fact I don't do any exercise at all.

Any thoughts?

Rich
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Dizziness and now ear ringing.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:00:35 PM »
Tinnitus, can drive you nuts R. I have it off and on since I lost my hearing in my left ear. There are several things that can cause it. Lyme Disease is one of the major causes.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:49:28 PM »
I would be more inclined to think of the inner ear for this presentation. Perhaps a case of labrynthitis, or an undiscovered otitis. Might be reasonable to get a referral to an Otolaryngologist.
I hope it works out for you.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:14:45 PM »
I started get the ringing thing while on Reyataz. Still have it all the time.

Offline ChrisNCoronado

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 03:54:37 PM »
Rich -

Where, exactly, were you in California?  Here's why I am asking; two years ago I was diagnosed with Disseminated Cocci (Valley Fever) - the dizziness you describe (head spinning), the aches, etc. were spot on for me prior to diagnosis.  My doc finally thought to test me for Valley Fever - after ruling out just about everything else (including Lyme, etc) - and presto! - I got my second positive test rest following HIV :)

I know your neg, but Valley Fever (actually, the naturally occurring mold spore that leads to Valley Fever) is HIGHLY, HIGHLY prevalent in the dry soils of Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and other areas of the desert Southwest.  It is an equal opportunity offender to both poz and neg folk alike.  And if left untreated, Valley Fever - in the most extreme cases - can be fatal (particularly when it infects the immuno compromised). At its worst, Valley Fever kills several hundred Americans each year. 

The stats surrounding Valley Fever are alarming; approximately 400-fold increase in the number of cases diagnosed in Arizona in the past 5 years (having much to do with human activity pushing further and further into undisturbed Sonoran desert).  The NIH recently granted Valley Fever "Orphan Status" to encourage additional drug development (via federal funding) aimed at treatment of the disease.   It is NOT contagious; no one around me is at risk for contracting the disease (even those I swap bodily fluids with - a hem).

At present, 400mg/day of Fluconazole is the gold standard for treatment. 

Just wanted to toss this out there - with the idea you may discuss it with your doctor as another possibility as to what ails you.   A simple blood test is all that's needed to first determine poz VF status, or (hopefully) neg.   

One last thing - many, many folks living/working/playing in the Southwestern US (Southern California, included)will test positive for Valley Fever; that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Most folks test poz and their healthy immune system prevents infection by the airborne mold spores.  It's when the infection becomes disseminated throughout the body (starting in the lungs, unknowingly) - and leading to dizziness, severe (SEVERE) joint and ache pain, balance issues, ringing in the ears, node issues, etc. - that it becomes worrisome (I had to have a node biopsied to confirm it had disseminated). 

Lastly, as a pozzie, I will most likely be on Fluconazole (regardless of CD4, VL, etc) for the rest of my life.  And it's contraindicated with every PI - which sucks - but I'll cross that bridge if and when I need to.  For neg folks, the same treatment regimen applies but within a specific time frame (few weeks or so, I think).  Point is - its treatable.

Some food for thought.

Best to you.

-Chris

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:10:01 PM »
hey Rich,

Tinitus can drive you bonkers. Do you have a feeling of fullness in the ears as well? and has anyone else ever had such symptons that you know of?
Did your doc mention or raise the possibility of Meniere's Disease? I have it, and it is in my family, and is a right pain in the butt. tinnitus, fullness, and dizzy spells. Ick.

Washington Uni has a good site on it at: http://oto.wustl.edu/men/.

Good luck.

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:15:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I have got down off the table and stopped screaming. I didn't even know about Valley fever, so thanks for posting that.

Putting my rational head back on for a second, I believe that it is a case of allergies with a weird presentation. I think it prudent to get an MRI but don't feel that it is cancer or MS (my doctor says I have no other symptoms of cancer that would cause ear ringing and no other symptoms of MS). I have to get use to doctors in the US going after the nasties first, while in the UK they go after the most obvious first (because it is cheaper than sending everyone for a MRI). I actually appreciate my doctor being prudent but in the UK if you get sent for a MRI you are normally quite ill.

I will not Google symptoms of MS or cancer as I am bound to find something that worries me and I am not in a position to accurately assess my symptoms as I don't have a medical degree. What I have is what I have and worrying and Googling it will not help me. I am concerned enough to go take the tests but not concerned enough anymore to let it destroy my life until I find out something to be concerned about. Because worrying, googling and symptom searching are pathways for the foolish.

Worry wells of the FEARS section take note.

Rich
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:17:35 PM by HIVworker »
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »
You a WW?? Give me a break.  :D I had inner ear infection once and the ENT put tubes in my ears and that was the best thing I have ever had done. But you advised that you didn't have fluid in your ears. Don't wait around, go to a good ENT. Loosing your hearing is not good.

Rodney

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
My hearing is fine for now. I saw my ENT and he ordered the MRI. Test results next week. They offered to do it at 9:45pm. Is that a drive-through at that hour???

Rich

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 07:34:42 PM »
ROFL, if you can hear good before the MRI, you'll have trouble afterwards. I hope they give you ear plugs.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 07:53:14 PM »
Rich had it been cancer or a tumor of some sort it would not have gone away just to come back again...it would have been constant andgetting worse over time.  Stand up with your arms outstretched like Frankenstein and close your eyes....if you keep your balance, youre probably fine.

Also with MS, if its not presenting with other symptoms like muscle weakness, numbness and a whole slew of other stuff, then Im sure youre fine.  Possible? Well, I guess so, but its so far down on the list that I wouldnt even worry about...actually when it happened to me I was terrified I had MS so I know what youre feeling right now.

Remember the inner ear is a bitch...they really cant prove what it is, so they have to eliminate what it isnt...which is why youre having the MRI.  Take it slow and easy.  I know the symptoms SUCK and can be debilitating...you just have to wait for time to pass and for the symptoms to resolve.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »
Richard,

I can't really give you any advice. Just wishing you the best, hopefully the doctors will find out whats going on. I've had tinnitus now for the last three 3 years. The constant high pitch ringing, is no picnic. At this pont I am just living with it. Have had no loss of hearing...

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:50:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind messages folks. I really am not worried it is cancer or MS. It's just weird and I was looking for some feedback. Thanks for everyone's feedback, I really appreciate it.

Rich

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:39:30 PM »
So a bunch of tests later, my ears are still buzzing with no resolution. It isn't anything serious, it is just bloody bugging me. I guess I will just keep noise in the room....

R

Offline Eldon

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:56:39 AM »
Hey Rich,

Just chiming in to let you know that you are in my thoughts as I send some positive thoughts your way and prayers for a resolution of your situation.

Happy Holidays!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.