POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 06:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635715
  • Total Topics: 48230
  • Online Today: 240
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Food, please!  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Food, please!
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:52:58 PM »
My stomach hasn't been agreeing with me lately. In addition to starting new meds, life has been stressful - so that probably doesn't help. I haven't been throwing up or anything (hooray pills for that) but I get nauseous anyway, and I haven't really had an appetite at all.

Plus, I have a little bacterial throat infection thing (compliments to my boyfriend for that) that makes me not want to swallow. So, following directions like a good puppy I've been eating a lot of broth and drinking a lot of liquid and sucking on ice pops cause that makes my throat feel better.

Anyway, just posting to see if anyone has any ideas about more solid food to eat that'll agree with me, because I would prefer not to lose any more weight. I've been eating meat again so don't be afraid to suggest anything with meat in it.

So, yeah. Thanks guys.

And sorry I haven't been around. In addition to not feeling well and being busy with school stuff and having a boyfriend it's hard to find time to actually spend on the computer. Whenever I've been on it's just been to talk to my friends and stuff. So, yeah. =/

<3 <- heart!

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Re: Food, please!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:06:09 PM »
Puffed rice with soy milk seems to kill nausea when taken with meds.  At least the rice gets soggy enough that it won't hurt to swallow and the milk gives you some protein.  When you're able to swallow, my favorite bulk building food is a burrito from Chipotle (if you have them out there).

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:13:09 PM »
((((((Mouse)))))))

Aww, sweetie, I'm sorry you are not feeling good, I do hope you feel better soon. I worry about you, call it the mother hen in me. Usually potatoes puts weight on people, I know it does for me. I'm glad you are getting on with your life, bf, school, etc....I was just worried about you...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:53:10 PM »
Hello you! You've been missed!
Try fresh grated ginger in hot water for the nausea. Ask your Aunty Matty, I even converted him! You may even find ginger can replace your anti-nausea pills...trial and error that one though!

I'm hot off the heels of a viral throat thingy too with terrible swallowing problems. So...

I may get bashed for this but the ice pop thing is a myth. You must AVOID very hot or very cold things. Not good for bad throat at all. It tricks you into thinking its working by numbing the area at the time, whereas in fact in the long run its exacerbating the problem.

Stick to your soups, liquids, fresh juices, lots of honey and lemon in warm water/tea. You can have lots of soft bread in the soup to bulk it up a bit. Also add potatos to the soups for bulk and blend them so you can swallow. You can also have rice cooked in water and left in the water (like a rice soup) with lemon juice squeezed over it - especially if you've been sick - its full of special electrolytes that your body loses when you vomit, plus its gentle on the stomach. If you're gonna have meat, lean chicken would be best, but not till your throats better..unless you're prepared to liquidize it like baby food! Oh also banana blended with full fat yoghurt and milk, if your stomach can tolerate dairy.

Dont worry too much about losing weight while you have this throat thing. You can bulk up again once it passes. Concentrate on getting your throat thing better first. Once thats out of the way, you can start experimenting properly with new foods. I'll check out some of my food/advice books for you if you like...

Meanwhile take care!

Hugs

Melia X

Edited to say: PS - The fact that you've not been stuck on your computer and instead you've been busy with school, your boyfriend and spending time with your mates is a FAB thing. It's called having a life. Good on ya Jaser! I'll take a leaf out of a 16 year old's book any day...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:16:41 AM by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Bartro

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »
When I have a sore throat I like to eat tapioca or pudding.  If you're worried about losing weight some nice fatty mashed avacado goes down quite easily.
Rusty

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:04:28 PM »
Ew, this all reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth out and I lived on smoothies. That was miserable.  :D

I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade and water and juice (apple and orange mostly). It's not impossible to swallow but it's not really comfortable - I don't want it to get to where I can't swallow though. Eep.

It kind of depends with dairy. Sometimes straight milk makes me sick, sometimes it doesn't. And that's when I'm NOT sick, so I dunno. Yogurt actually sounds good.

What about pasta and stuff? I wouldn't mind like macaroni or something. lol. Mostly because it's reaaaally easy for me to swallow but I'm not sure if itll be too much for me right now. meh. Whenever I don't feel well and I want to eat I make the mistake of just eating whatever I want because I think I can do it but I wind up regretting it later.

Another thing is nothing really tastes right lately. Like even food that I like just doesn't taste good or it doesn't taste like anything so it makes me not want to touch it. And I have a really bad taste in my mouth no matter how much I brush my teeth and stuff. which is charming.

Offline Bartro

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
After I started meds it seemed that my taste perception changed.  Thing that I really liked no longer tasted good or tasted like anything at all.  When my appetite is off but I know I need to eat something I grab a nice box of inorganic Stouffer's frozen macaroni and cheese and pop it in the microwave.  If you cook it long enough it gets nice and soft.
Rusty

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:52:04 PM »
Yep, its like wisdom teeth time again...wont last long though...patience my dear!

Your taste buds are probably messed up because of the throat infection. I'm the same still after 2 weeks...its coming back slowly...I could barely taste the 2 pitas I just ate but I can taste garlic from the tzatziki now! Then again it could be the meds but I wouldnt have a clue on that score...

You may find pasta a bit heavy on your stomach, then again you may not. Only one way to find out...
Btw you can put macaroni in soup too!

I dont drink milk on its own either ever, makes me nauseous. Think it may be the Chinese genes in me...I've heard lactose intolerance is common amongst Chinese folk. You can also blend your fave fruits in with natural yoghurt instead of buying the pre-mixed crap, which is loaded with sugar and stuff. I make smoothies with natural bio-yoghurt, banana and other fruit. I never use milk (bleurgh!).

More hugs

Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »
hey Jaser,
Nice to hear from you, but sorry you're not feeling crash hot.
Two problems I see, swallowing and nausea.
For the throat thing, liquids are obviously going to be easier. Pineapple juice with pulp is a good one - easy to get down and the pulp help to clear some of the gunk from the throat. If you can handle oj at the moment, then the pineapple will likely sit OK in the tummy. You could always mix them together. Whenever I have gonnorhea or thrush in the throat Pineapple juice seems to help.

For the nausea - I think it's gonna have to be a bit of trial and error. Melia converted me to the grated ginger in water thingy too. Seems to work. For some reason, plain milk stops the nausea for me too - ask Melia. Try and keep your foods bland ie skip the chilly, peppers etc. The other thing I found early on with my meds was that if I kept my stomach full, and I mean full, I didn't seem to get the nausea - especially junk food like chocolate and ice-cream. But, my flatmate is the opposite - any food just makes him worse. Hence, the trial and error suggestion.

Anti-nausea pills did me no good. In fact they seemed to make it worse and drowsy, but they do work for a heck of a lot of people.

My final suggestion may sound a little bizarre, but it really seemed to work for me. And that was simply mind over matter - trying to switch off that bit of my brain - the receptors that were telling my I felt nauseas. I stumbled across this idea from the lessons section here:  Prescription treatments for nausea and vomiting: A class of drugs called antiemetics medicines that prevent or control nausea and vomiting are available by prescription. These drugs work by blocking receptors in the brain's vomiting center. I thought, well if a pill can turn off the receptor, so can I if I visualise it which I did. I visualised the Kaletra capsule exploding in my stomach, setting of the reaction in my nerves and up through to the receptors in my brain. Then I visualised turning off the receptor so the message couldn't get through. Not gonna work for everyone, but no harm in trying.

Steve.

PS, can you please PM me an address for you again. I finally cleaned my room up and have that piece of silk I bought for you in Thailand sitting on my desk waiting for Santa to pick up. Just need to address it for you.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Longislander

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 07:32:18 PM »
hey buddy, I have no advice for you. But you have been missed. I'm really happy you're living a full life, but stop in from time to time to just post a thread to say 'HI'!!

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »
Hey Jaser!

It is good to hear from you. Get better and take care of yourself. Sorry, no advice on the nausea.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.