Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Valproic Acid?

(1/1)

AtomicA:
Hello all!
I am looking in to a joining a clinical trial for valproic acid (if they'll have me, they want people who've been on HAART longer but they might make an exception) and I was wondering if anyone had info on it? What are the risks, side effects etc.? Is there a chance that it could in any way close future treatment doors to me if things don't go well?

thanks!

Ihavehope:
Hey there

I totally think this Clinical trial will change EVERYTHING. I have been reading about this and the results of Phase 1 have been great in eliminating 75% of the hardest HIV infected cells. If you join this clinical trial, Lots of luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Al

AtomicA:
Turns out I'm not a candidate because I haven't been on the anti-virals long enough... which I suppose isn't so bad, after all I read about how dangerous it can be for your liver and pancreas I don't know if I would want to be a guinea pig on that particular train.

As well, eliminating 75% of viral resevoirs is great, but unless you elimate 99.999% of viral resevoirs, the virus will just come back as soon as treatments with HAART stop anyway. It's a great notion but it's certaintly not a cure.

lostboy:

--- Quote from: AtomicA on December 12, 2006, 08:33:32 PM ---Turns out I'm not a candidate because I haven't been on the anti-virals long enough...

--- End quote ---

How long do you have to be on HAART in order to be a candidate? just wandering

--- Quote from: AtomicA on December 12, 2006, 08:33:32 PM ---As well, eliminating 75% of viral resevoirs is great, but unless you elimate 99.999% of viral resevoirs, the virus will just come back as soon as treatments with HAART stop anyway. It's a great notion but it's certaintly not a cure.

--- End quote ---

Definitely not a cure, but surely reducing the viral reservoirs by 75% would at the very least dramatically reduce the chances of developing resistance to the drug therapy.

AtomicA:
The study co-ordinator in vancouver that I spoke with said you had to be on a stable anti-viral therapy for a minimum of 12 months to qualify. But the Canadian study's enrollment period was a full 12 months as well, so if things go alright with me in 10 months I might qualify, though I just got my second set of labs since starting HAART back and I'm up to 400CD4 cells (I was hoping for higher but hey, it's better than the 218 I started with) and a second set of undetectable VL results under my belt. Unless they come up with something pretty concrete I don't know if I would want to play around with things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version