HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Meds and Deception

(1/1)

Undermind:
Greetings to you all:

I am a male who had unprotected sex with a female who told me she had cancer. About 10 days into our relationship she told me there was a terrible mistake (she is European and her English is poor) and that she did not have cancer but had gotten sick from a transfusion that affected her blood. I asked if this was HIV she responded by saying "yes I think so."

Since she was well aware that I believed she had cancer, I became angry and stopped seeing her. She was terrified of losing me and told me again that it was something like Leukemia. At this point she allowed me to Google her meds one of which was Kaletra. After showing her the results, she again said that this med was being used for something like leukemia and was not HIV.

Is Kaletra used for anything besides HIV????

Thank you so much for listening

Ann:
Under,

Kaletra is an antiretroviral - in other words yes, it is an hiv drug.

As you've had unprotected intercourse, you need to test. You also need to know that the odds are in your favour of testing negative. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. My own partner and I were together and having unprotected for a year and a half before I got my diagnosis. He tested negative at the time and he is still negative after being with me for over seven years. (we use condoms now)

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, so a test at that point would be an excellent indication of your true hiv status, but must be confirmed at the three month point, which would be a conclusive result.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. If you decide to carry on with this relationship (it sounds as though she's confused more so than being deliberately deceptive), condoms will protect you against becoming infected.

Good luck with the testing, and feel free to keep us posted.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version