HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Question

(1/1)

Tango19:
Hi, I've been on the forums along time ago and they really helped me but now I'm back.  One of the only things in my life I've come to regret is still on my mind.  I had unprotected sex with a female like 2 years ago now and was scared she might have given me something.  I was in the army at the time and about a year after I had sex with her I had a HIV test among a long list of other regular tests that everyone gets.  By nature I'm a over-thinker so I blow everything out of poportion.  Like every other test I took that day I never heard anything back saying I tested positive...  Now I'm with a new girl that I really like and I just don't like the feeling of having to worry about this.  I've never had any symptoms or anything besides the normal mental anxiety.  Do you think that the HIV test from the Army is justifiable?  Thanks for your help.

Ann:
Tango,

You can be quite sure that if your test from your army days was positive, they would have told you. No doubt about it.

As for your relations with the new girlfriend, you need to use condoms anyway. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version