Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:29:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37672
  • Latest: Stupy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773435
  • Total Topics: 66363
  • Online Today: 295
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kidney function (Creatinine) keeps lowering  (Read 3769 times)

Offline chwhyoche

Kidney function (Creatinine) keeps lowering
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:25:15 am »
It was at 80 last year, then around 63 in June, and this past week, the creatinine is at 50.   
Not sure what to do.  Doc wants me to retest in January, but I'd really like to know how to address this through diet.   My potassium levels are fine, so she said do not worry about eating too many bananas or avocados , which I had been eating daily.
I'm going to start concentrating on blending up cranberries and blueberries in my drinks, and I bought a big bag of dried shiitake mushrooms which I will eat daily until my next lab tests.   My Tcells went down to 290 from 350.    I had been in a depression this past year and not eating well.  Though I was eating well by the time I took my labs earlier this month.   
Anyone have experience with lowering kidney function?   

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Kidney function (Creatinine) keeps lowering
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:30:51 am »
I had a high blood creatinine levels a while back.

So i increased my daily fluid intake and it lowered to normal low levels in my blood tests since than. This of course is just a snapshot result I mean if I really wanted to know more I could have always had creatinine clearance test done over 24 hours sampling but i saw no need as the low creatinine levels in my case indicate my kidneys are fine.

From your post I'm not sure if it's blood or urine levels your talking about and if you doctor is concerned at all ? I mean TBH is she's saying to take another snapshot test again in Jan than does not sound like she is overly concerned at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:41:43 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline sphinxcat

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »
from what I read, higher creatinine number indicates a renal problem instead of lower....
2015OCT04 tested poz
2015OCT14 cd4 124, 12%, vl 162,000. Right ear Shingles, on Stribild.
2015NOV12 cd4 171, 16%, vl ud.

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:47:55 pm »
It was a blood test.   I've been reading about what low creatinine indicates and from what I've read, it is an indicator of decreased muscle mass, a low protein diet (I eat meat and beans), advanced liver disease (my liver is fine), medications, or a couple neurological conditions, of which I have no symptoms.

So either I'm thinking it is the Triumeq, the cod liver oil?, or I'm just becoming a blobbier fatty skinny person.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:08:19 am »
It was a blood test.   I've been reading about what low creatinine indicates and from what I've read, it is an indicator of decreased muscle mass, a low protein diet (I eat meat and beans), advanced liver disease (my liver is fine), medications, or a couple neurological conditions, of which I have no symptoms.

So either I'm thinking it is the Triumeq, the cod liver oil?, or I'm just becoming a blobbier fatty skinny person.

Increased muscle mass, or a high protein diet can increase blood creatinine levels.
Men generally have higher levels than women and as example athletes can have higher levels.

I would have a talk to your doctor next time your in to address the concerns you have as you seem to think the low level you have is abnormal or a concern for you. I think you have other concerns and are linking it to this test result as being an indicator when the results you have are only very basic and in themselves are just a snapshot moment and basic results.  If you thinking it's something other than normal or think you having underlining issues and you Doctor agrees than more testing and different additional testing may/can be done.

Generally speaking however normal range low blood creatinine level just means that your kidneys are working well, nothing more nothing less.

Men: 0.6–1.2 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) or 53–106 micromoles per liter (mcmol/L)
Women: 0.5–1.1 mg/dL or 44–97 mcmol/L
(http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=129732)

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:51:01 pm »
Thanks.   I hope so.   Its just steadily gotten lower.  About a year and a half ago, it was at 80, but then again I was taking a different med.   I first was on Atripla for 3 years, went off that because of the drunk feeling at night, then I went on two others, but then settled on Triumeq.  I forget the two other combos I tried.  I went off the last due to the decreased creatinine level.   My doctor didn't seem to know what would cause this decrease.   Sometimes this doctor is more of a feel good doctor rather than knowledgeable.  Perhaps my kidneys were working harder with the other drugs, and Triumeq is easier on them.   
She is ordering another test in January.    For the most part, physically health wise, I feel awesome.   Just this lab is a wee bit of a downer. 

Offline phenethylamine

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:23 pm »
Creatine is an essential nutrient, (mostly found in meat) that helps supply energy to all cells in the body, (primarily muscle).

Creatine breaks down into Creatinine (waste product) and is normally filtered out of the blood through kidneys and excreted in urine.. This process is called "creatine clearance" When kidney function is impaired, Creatinine blood levels can rise and accumulate.

Elevated blood Creatinine can be a symptom of kidney impairement, it can also be a result of a high protein diet. Bodybuilders who supplement with Creatine for energy would likely have high Creatinine blood levels but no kidney impairment.

Kidney function is more accurately measured via "Creatinine Clearance" in this case higher is better, don't confuse it with basic Creatinine blood levels. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they test this by comparing blood levels to urine levels. Ex. high blood levels and low urine levels could indicate a lack of clearance, but equal blood, urine levels might suggest everything is working fine.

Kinetics is the study of movement through the body. Jim described this perfectly as a "snapshot", just one still frame of a video that is in constant motion and could completely change hour to hour. It could be a timing fluke.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.