POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 08:13:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631916
  • Total Topics: 47841
  • Online Today: 231
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Ashes  (Read 5115 times)

Offline manchesteruk

The Ashes
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »
Has anyone been watching this then?  I'm a big cricket fan but because it's in Australia it doesnt start over here until midnight so I took today off work and stayed up last night watching it.  I wish I hadn't now this test is going to be a slaughtering!  I still think we could nick a draw in the series though.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline fearless

Re: The Ashes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
hey Chris,

I love the Ashes Test series. Thankfully, all of the big wigs at my work are on a conference so I pretty much got to watch the whole days play while pretending to work in the office.

We had a great day yesterday and unless something changes drastically, like another of your bowlers stepping up to the plate (Freddy seems to be the only one firing), this test match is gone. It's a good batting wicket though, so you could conceivably snare a draw if you bat well.

Don't count on the rain to help you through this series, as we're in the middle of the worst drought on record. And, our kookaburra balls and the general weather conditions mean the ball doesn't swing nearly as much as over there with your Duke balls and climate.

It could be a long hot summer for the poms. I hope not though, as I really hope the series is as enthrallings as the last one.

Steve
PS. My ex was the exhibition designer for the Ashes exhibition which is now touring the country. I got to go to the opening and see the little urn. Tiny, ain't it, but the history behind it is fascinating stuff.

better go, first ball will be bowled shortly
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 06:56:51 PM »
My tip.

Ponting to make 200 by tea.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:02:44 PM »
I'm just going to have a listen to the first hour on the radio and head to bed I think.  I'm fully expecting to wake up tomorrow though and see Australia declared on 500+ and england to be 3 or 4 down for about 200!  Harmison really needs to start firing though because as you say were not going to get much swing in any of these tests I think.  Any team missing Trescothick, Vaughan (especially after his performance in the last ashes down under) and Jones is going to badly miss them.  Add to that a not completely fit Flintoff and badly off form Harmison it aint looking good.  I just hope its competitive throughout ends up half as good as the Ashes series last year definately some of the most exciting cricket i've ever seen!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:07:20 PM »
Ponting to make 200 by tea.

200 what?...fairy cakes, scones, lamingtons, I believe they all go down well with a nice cup of tea.... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-
(who you have probably guessed by now knows nothing about cricket)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »
Tea cosies, Jan ;D

Hey Chris,

Are they using the 'heat' camera technology in your telecasts? What a blast. They have an infraded? heat detecting camera in use for the teelcast - basically, if there is a close call, the show a replay using this camera - if there is a snick, the heat camera picks it up as a shite glow on the relevant bit of the bat. What will they think of next?

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 07:26:50 PM »
The Poms are getting a little swing this morning.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 07:37:02 PM »
I've been seeing commercials about the Ashes and wanted to watch it.  :-\  But I'm not even sure which sport is it....is it cricket or rugby?  If it's cricket, forget it.  I just don't understand that game, at all.  Rugby, I can kinda make sense out of it.

Well whatever it is...I hope England does okay.  This country needs to win something.  Poor folks still haven't gotten over the World Cup loss.

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 11:12:08 PM »
It's cricket, Cliff.

And cricket is very similar to baseball, really. Just slower, a lot slower

Offline fearless

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 02:50:38 AM »
Poor ol' England.

In response to Australia's 9 dec for 602, England are crumbling at 3-52. This could all be over by Sunday afternoon.
Don't worry Chris, 4 more tests to go.  ::)

Steve

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 03:06:06 AM »
I can't begin to describe how painful that was!  I don't understand how we've managed that either it's still a good batting wicket I suppose chasing a score of 602 must be pretty daunting though.  Our only hope of scraping a draw now is to slowly build up a total taking us past the follow on and do you see that likely to happen when 2 of our 4 remaining batsmen are Pietersen and Flintoff!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 11:30:27 AM »
Chris and Steven....

This is just gibberish.  Tell me, do criquet players have a calendar ala Jan's or Val's  rugby players?  If they do, deal me in.  Otherwise, I'm outta here.

robert

Online Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky
We know Major Tom's a junkie
Strung out in heaven's high
Hitting an all-time low

Sorry, that song always starts going through my head every time I hear "The Ashes".

:D Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fearless

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
Hope you are ready for day 4 of the massacre, Chris.
I thought the wicket must have been falling apart yesterday when you guys were all out for 170 odd, but then we batted again adn proved that theory wrong, with 1-180 odd.
What is wrong with the English team? unprepared? unused to Aussie conditions? nervous?
Let's hope they put up a better fight in Adelaide next week.
Steve

Offline fearless

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 10:04:36 PM »
It's all over red rover.
As per usual the Aussies have massacred the Poms, and lead the Ashes series 1-0.
We won by 277 runs.
Australia 9/602 dec and 1/202 dec, England 157 and 370.

Better luck in Adelaide, Chris. See you on Friday.

Steve
Yes I live in a convict colony
Surrounded by the sea
You wish that you were me.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 07:38:42 PM »
Well i'm a little more heartened by our second innings but it was still most definately a hammering!  I'm not sure what the problem was possibly not enough practice on aussie wickets and definately a lack of experience.  I think there are only a few players in this squad who played in last ashes in Australia.  We are a much better team than we showed in this test though we can only get better I think (famous last words!).  I'm not so much worried about the batting it's the bowling bothering me and in particular Harmisons 1-177! bring in Panesar he's excellent.  I just hope this series stays competitive you could see people losing interest a bit on the 4th day and it's so important for english cricket that we do well in this series it's only the 3 or 4 most popular sport over here and generally attendances have been poor.

Chris

PS I saw the newspaper headline and decline to comment!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »
I'm sorry but Steve you said first ball was about to bowl/roll on the 23rd.  And then on the 27th you said it was all over.  I thought the games only last 2 days.  Do they really go on for 4 or 5 days?

Offline fearless

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »
When England plays Australia, Cliff, it usually only lasts 2 days. That's how bad they are  ;D.

A test match is played over a maximum of 5 days. Each side has a maximum of 2 innings each. Once you lose 10 wickets (that's when a batsman gets out) it is the other teams turn to bat.

In this particular test, Australia batted for most of the 1st two days in its first innings (they play for 6 hours a day). We declared our innings having scored 602 runs but only losing 9 wickets, and sent the Poms into bat. They lost all 10 wickets by lunch time of day 2 for only 157 runs.

Beacuae they were more than 200 runs behind, we could have made them bat again, but we didn't. We had our 2nd innings, and declared very early on day 3, having only lost 1 wicket for 202 runs. This meant England had nearly 3 days (the remainder of day 3, plus days 4 and 5) to score 648 run for victory. That would have been a record 2nd innings score. They ended up all out for 370, so the Aussies won by 277 runs.

The wicket itself is basically just grass rolled and rolled with heavy equipment so that it forms a hard brown surface. As the wicket is not watered over the 5 days, the condition of the wicket changes dramatically. Generally, on the morning of day 1, there is some moisture under the surface which assists the bowling team as the ball may 'seam' around of the fresh, moist wicket. It then usually settles down for the next day or two, and is good for batting. Later in the match, cracks start to appear in the wicket and patches with the most foot traffic wear, again assisting the bowlers.

On top of this, they use a new ball every 80 overs or so. When the ball is hard and new, it seams around, as it gets older it swings around a bit (also affected by humidity and cloud cover), and as it ages more it is great for the spin bowlers.

Steve's cricket lesson number 1.

Chris, yeah they showed a little bit of mongrel in that second innings. Adelaide is traditionally a fairly flat tame wicket, so you may be able to grab a draw. You may as well give the Wacca (Perth) test away now as it is the fastest, bounciest wicket in the country. Australia will be up 2-0. I'll give you the Melbourne test, just to make the Sydney test interesting - whoever bats first should win.

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
England head off to Adelaide for the 2nd test.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 05:22:14 PM »
There really is no way I can come back from that is there.  I just hope there is something for us to shout about after the second test!

Oh and don't forget how the last ashes series started as well!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 09:55:16 PM »
And, did I tell you I have a guest pass to the SCG Members area for days 4 and 5 of the Sydney test.

They'll do fine in Adelaide, Chris, restore their confidence and the reall battle for the Ashes will begin. 1st test means nothing, and don't forget, we have to win the series, whereas you'll keep the Ashes with a drawn series.
If my predictions are right re Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne, the whole series could be determined by who wins the toss in Sydney.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
Oooh not long to go now I must say i'm feeling a little more confident about this one i'm hoping to see a different Harmison this time as well and hopefully there will be no McGrath.  Saying that though if we lose the toss we'll definately be in for another tough time again.  The toss is so important in this test sounds like another batting wicket so we need to get in there first.

More of this:

Less of this please!

Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
Chris,
I doubt Ooh Agh, will play.
Sounding very much like the 2nd test from the last series. Yikes. I may have to eat some of my words, again!!!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »
I don't like their uniforms.  YOu can't see anything through those things.  Do they have good bodies?

I do like the pic Lil Steve had on the England team going on to Adelaide.  LOL

Offline fearless

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:57 PM »
There uniforms are pretty dull, Cliff.
As an English gentlemen's sport, tradition rules, and that means white uniforms all round.
Baseball players and their chewing/spitting habits are much more sexy.
Only a few cricket players are hot anyway. Let's face it, what right minded hunky Aussie bloke would choose to stand out in the open in the hot sun fully clothed in the summer heat for 5 days waiting for a ball to possibly come their way, when they can take most of their kit off down at the beach and get perved at all day. Most cricket players were daggy kids. Just my opinion.

Steve

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 06:47:57 PM »
Those pictures look amazing i've got to get myself down to Australia at some point.  England team announced and no Panesar again I can't believe it!  If we lose the toss now were f**ked!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 07:05:29 PM »
We won the toss COME ON!!!!!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline Rhino

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 09:31:02 PM »
Let's face it, what right minded hunky Aussie bloke would choose to stand out in the open in the hot sun fully clothed in the summer heat for 5 days waiting for a ball to possibly come their way, when they can take most of their kit off down at the beach and get perved at all day. Most cricket players were daggy kids. Just my opinion.

Steve

Which is exactly why I never played seriously. Here in Trinidad (west indies) cricket is a RELIGION. But it's just way to slow for my taste. Now football (Soccer to you yanks) is THE sport. I played all through high school.

Rhino
(Who still has his soccer legs)

Offline fearless

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 05:32:49 AM »
They didn't do to bad today for day 1 Chris, although I think Boycott would scored more runs today.  ;D A draw is looking more and more likely, for this test.

The Adelaide Oval is probably our most picturesque cricket, but 100,000 packed into The G (the Melbourne Cricket Ground) on boxing day will be special.

Good luck

steve

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 08:15:40 AM »
It's back on!  This one is definately looking like a draw to be fair theres just noting for the bowlers on this wicket.  I stayed up all last night watching though it's not everyday you score 500+ against Australia.  I love the way Pietersen is taking on McGrath and Warne though and the little niggles between the players it's a proper test series now!  That stadium looks stunning i'd quite like to watch cricket high up like that I bet it gives a really good view of all the action.
Diagnosed 11/05

Online Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 10:50:43 AM »

I bet it gives a really good view of all the action.

Action? I thought you guys were talking about cricket?!?!?

Didn't one of the "tourists" beat some 70-odd year old record yesterday? 'Bout time!

:D

Ann
(who'd rather watch paint dry...)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fearless

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 03:55:33 PM »
lol, Ann. It's more action than I get these days.

They'll just never get it, will they Chris. ::)

I was happy for both Collingwood and Pietersen. I was booing Warney and the Aussies for their tactics of bowling round the wicket to Pietersen. It was so negative and defeatest, just not cricket. The TV commentary team stuck it up them as well. I hope England gets a couple of quick wickets this morning and really turn up the heat. It was like they started to believe in themselves yesterday, but you may regret not playing your best spinner as the pitch may start to turn a lot today.

It's cold and wet and miserable in Sydney today. I can feel a day on the sofa under my blankie watching the cricket all day long. If only I had a spliff. damn this health and fitness thing I'm going through.  ;D

Offline fearless

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 10:05:46 PM »
Chris,

Where are you? Hope you're not in bed content in the belief that this test will end in a draw.
England are collapsing. Dropping like flies. 5 for 89 at lunch. (4 for 30 in this session).
Australia could win this yet. C'mon Warnie!!!

Steve

Offline fearless

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 12:33:08 AM »
Oh Chris,
You poor thing. It must be hard being an English cricket fan.
All out for 129 in the 2nd innings.
Australia need 168 of 34 overs. Could be an interesting last session if you guys really can swing a ball

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 02:34:20 AM »
Fucking unbelievable we may as well go home now! How can you score 551 and lose a test match.  Giles and Jones should not be in that team either.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 05:23:16 AM »
Two nil, two nil, two nil, two nil.
Who would have thought. Only yesterday I was certain it would be a draw. I got to watch the last of the action and the celebrations on the big outdoor screen they have mounted down at Circular Quay, in the city.
Yeehah.
I feel for you though, Chris.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 05:24:50 PM »
Yeah it really sounds as if you do!  I'm still in shock 9 wickets for 60 runs some of those wickets were absolutely ridiculous shots as well.  Sigh.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »
Whoever decided to leave Penesar out should be publicly flooged or shot. If he was there you may still have got a draw or even a win.

Poor Freddy. He looked so dejected and down after the game. He always gives 110%.

Steve

Offline fearless

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 10:57:25 PM »
Hey Chris,

Are you emotionally ready for whipping number 3!!!

You have extra incentive to win this one, too. I was a little too cocky on Friday night after several beers too many and made a bet with a pommie mate, that I'd run naked from my house to his if England wins the 3rd test. Eek.  :o
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:00:59 PM by fearless »

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2006, 03:15:40 AM »
Come on!!!! Harmison looks much better but you've got to ask why the hell wasn't panesar in from the start.  I'm not going to boast too much though until we've batted as well!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2006, 04:29:09 PM »
I better get in training for my run. Eek.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
I wouldn't be too sure of that yet! I'm not too confident of getting a decent lead after the 1st innings if at all.  We've got a long batting tail and you are already a couple into the order.
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »
4-93, you could be right Chris. We'll be back in batting by the time I get home from work today to watch the last session (Perth is two hours behind me).

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2006, 03:31:06 PM »
Yesterday was a good day can't we just go home now and pretend the rest didnt happen!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2006, 05:09:21 PM »
No Chris, you can't take your bat and ball and go home.

We are now going for a 5 nil whitewash, after we regain the Ashes today in the shortest time in Ashes history (15 months).
Warnie is going to take his 700th wicket in Melbourne on Boxing Day in front of 95,000 home fans.
And, what about Gillie on Saturday!!! 2nd fastest century in test match history, and pup and hussey and hayden.

Late showers predicted for Perth today, but I suspect it will be way too late to save England.

Ho, ho, ho.

Offline fearless

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2006, 12:35:55 AM »
It's all over, red rover.
The Ashes have been returned to the rightfull owners after just 15 short months.
Don't feel too down, Chris. At least this English team holds on to one record, that being for the team to hold the Ashes for the shortest period of time in history.
RIP English cricket, again.

You all follow a losing cricket team, a losing cricket team, a losing cricket team.

Offline Robert

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2006, 12:37:11 AM »
I told you guys before I have no idea what you're talking about.  

But tell me Steven, did you win or lose your bet?  I hope someone got pictures if you know what I mean.  I'll look for them over in the porn thread.

robert

Offline fearless

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »
I won the bet robert, so no naked run.  ;D ah, what the heck, I may just do it anyway.

And all for this tiny little piece of 'silverware'

Kiss 'em good bye vaughan, it'll be a long time between drinks.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2006, 03:30:26 AM »
Enjoy them while you can McGrath and Warne won't be there to help you next time! Come to think of it neither will Langer, Hayden or Gilchrist and Ponting will be getting on by then.  Then take into account the ages of Cook, Pietersen, Bell, Monty and Strauss it won't be so easy next time mark my words!
Diagnosed 11/05

Offline fearless

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »
If my memory serves me correct, Chris, next time will be the summer of 2009 in England.

You are right, it won't be easy, but don't underestimate the depth of talent in Australian cricket. I think Hayden, Langer, McGrath will retire at the end of the current series, but we have Katich, Jacques, Stuart Clark, Michael Clarke and Moises Henriques (19yo and the son of a former Portuguese football player) and upteen other stars waiting in the wings.

Warnie will hang on and will take his 1000th scalp at Lords or the Oval at the age of 40 (or thereabouts) ;D
I'm hoping we give Warnie the new ball in Melbourne and let him bowl all day until he takes wicket number 700 in front of his home crowd. hehehe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.