HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Needless overkill?

(1/3) > >>

PD:
I stupidly had unprotected vaginal sex in October 2005 with a female stranger I met in a bar that night.  I had a proviral DNA done after 11 days and then 4th Gen. antibody tests at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks and 6 months post exposure.  All of these were negative (done at a private clinic in London, UK)

Here I am nearly 15 months later and I keep hearing crap about testing beyond these limits which spooks me now and again.  Can I assume that with all of these negative tests (and no exposures since then) that I am absolutely 100% okay??

Appreciate any answers from the experts.

Cheers.

Ann:
PD,

You didn't need any testing past the twelve week point. You are without doubt hiv negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

PD:
Thanks Ann.  I tested clear for all other STDs too.

Where do all these untrue rumours originate from then? It is very confusing. 

Are you basically saying that I am in the clear and need no further testing? Can I have unprotected sex with my partner? (her status is negative).

Cheers.

PD:
FYI - The reason for the above question as well is because we want to try for a baby.

Cheers.

Ann:
PD,

In the UK, the window period is only twelve weeks and you didn't need that six month test. As to why there is so much outdated or just plain wrong hiv information out there, I wish I knew. It's the bane of my existence.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. The odds always were in your favour of testing negative after a one-time encounter.

You are conclusively hiv negative - you're good to go.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version