Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 10:24:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773606
  • Total Topics: 66391
  • Online Today: 272
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 219
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pickles and Yogurt Help Anxiety?  (Read 7821 times)

Offline tednlou2

Pickles and Yogurt Help Anxiety?
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:23:51 pm »
Maybe this is why I love pickles and I go through about five, 12-packs of Activia a week.  They are the 4oz, so not humongous. 

"Pickles, like many other fermented foods, can be an acquired taste. But, evidence suggests that might be a taste worth acquiring if you suffer from anxiety, as Rebecca Rupp reports for National Geographic.

A study in the August issue of Psychiatry Research finds that fermented foods— such as pickles, sauerkraut, and yogurt—eases the eater’s social anxiety and in particular their neuroticism. The culprit: Probiotics or healthy bacteria that ferments the food. “It is likely that the probiotics in the fermented foods are favorably changing the environment in the gut, and changes in the gut in turn influence social anxiety,” Matthew Hillimire, a psychologist at the College of William and Mary and a co-author of the study, said in a statement.

Hillmire and his colleagues enlisted 710 college students at William & Mary to record how much fermented food they ate and any symptoms of neuroticism, anxiety or social phobia that they felt over the same period. The team found a link between the amount of fermented food subjects consumed and the level of social anxiety they felt. Particularly neurotic subjects saw a decrease in their symptoms of shyness and fear of social situations when they ate more fermented food.

The study may suggest a link between fermented food and anxiety, but it’s unclear if or how the sour foods might be relieving the socially challenged, but they think the microbiome may be involced. Previous studies in mice and other animals hinted that probiotics positively influence the human gut, and that healthy gut bacteria might have some implications for the mind as well. Rupp cites studies suggesting that mice without bacteria are more anxious and susceptible to stress. Clinical trials of probiotic substances had also pointed to potential mental health benefits, but those results are less clear-cut.

The good bacteria may increase levels of chemical in the brain called GABA controls anxiety. GABA sends messages to activate the same neural pathways as compounds in anti-anxiety medication. As Rupp puts it, “In other words, if you’ve got a case of social jimjams, eating a bowl of sauerkraut may be the equivalent of popping a Valium. Or maybe even better.”

It’s worth noting that the microbial ecosystem that inhabits human bodies varies from one individual to another. Figuring out the exact cause and effect relationship between fermented food and anxiety will require further study.

So, if you’re socially challenged, a pickle might not be a cure-all, but there's a chance it could help calm your fears."

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/pickle-day-may-keep-your-anxiety-bay-180955661/#tGp03ht5AA3xx88O.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitterhttp://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/pickle-day-may-keep-your-anxiety-bay-180955661/?no-ist&utm_campaign=sniply&utm_medium=sniply&utm_source=sniply&utm_content=17542711

Offline zach

Re: Pickles and Yogurt Help Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:50:05 pm »
sounds like a pregnant womens power snack

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:07:23 pm »
Ha!^.

I've also read that fermented foods are good for the gut. Good bacteria!

On a side note, I had the worst case of hiccups a few years ago that kept me up and I was desperate! The Gods spoke (via google) and said the cure was to drink pickle juice. It worked like a charm.  :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:19:03 pm »
Ha!^.

I've also read that fermented foods are good for the gut. Good bacteria!

On a side note, I had the worst case of hiccups a few years ago that kept me up and I was desperate! The Gods spoke (via google) and said the cure was to drink pickle juice. It worked like a charm.  :)

Yeah, they think the beneficial gut benefit is what has an effect on the brain.

When I get hiccups, I take a drink of dr. Pepper and hold my head back, while holding the soda at the back of my throat for as long as I can.  Always works for me-- usually.  I may have to do it a few times. 

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:55 am »
This is interesting....my dad used to say that sauerkraut helped the immune system, at the time I thought he was off his rocker. Maybe was onto something.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 12:16:01 pm »
Good to know,I'm a pickle - holic . Everything pickled
Herring ,okra , yes even pigs feet..... ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »
The benefits are due to fermentation?  Isn't that wine? 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 06:59:32 pm »
The benefits are due to fermentation?  Isn't that wine? 

and he's back!  ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:07:23 pm »
big pickles demand more money ... btw
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:58 pm »
Lots of bread&butter pickle chips in my Cuban sandwich for lunch and vanilla yogurt in my oatmeal w/blueberries for breakfast does help me feel better for sure :)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:00 pm »
I miss my Cuban sandwiches !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline initforlife

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »
What's a Cuban sandwich?
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:19 pm »
Here's a sample..http://www.chow.com/recipes/30428-cuban-sandwiches

Love mine with cafe con leche (milk & cuban coffee)

Offline initforlife

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:21 pm »
Yum that really looks good.. and Thanks never knew what one was...
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 07:49:22 am »
JUST TRY A PANNI,PRETTY CLOSE!!!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 08:20:27 am »
Here's a sample..http://www.chow.com/recipes/30428-cuban-sandwiches

Love mine with cafe con leche (milk & cuban coffee)

Grew up eating Cuban Sandwiches. Yum! Yum!

Regarding other "health help" foods, don't get me started on my family ancestry suggestions.  :) ;)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 12:38:16 am »
Grew up eating Cuban Sandwiches. Yum! Yum!

Regarding other "health help" foods, don't get me started on my family ancestry suggestions.  :) ;)

Now I'm curious, what about your family ancestry suggestions?

Offline weasel

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 11:05:20 am »
Good to know,I'm a pickle - holic . Everything pickled
Herring ,okra , yes even pigs feet..... ;)

Sounds like my parents fodder   :o

I love pickles   :)

I'll have a pickle with my tea when I come up to see you .

HUGS , Carl

" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.