POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 11:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24304
  • Latest: bramble
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650520
  • Total Topics: 49668
  • Online Today: 195
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Got My Labs Back!  (Read 1198 times)

Offline joyluckclub

Got My Labs Back!
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:35:08 PM »
Hey,

My new labs are in!

715CD4 (past 654/July      697/Sept)
39% cd4%
VL  7500

The nurse practioner told me about how your scores tend to zig zag.  The trend is more important.  Although I am happy about my CD4's, I'm a bit worried about the viral load.  It went from about 2300 to 7500. 

I know I'm very blessed concerning my labs.  I just don't want to see my viral load continue to climb.
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline Longislander

Re: Got My Labs Back!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:55:30 PM »
looks damn good to me  ;D :D ;D

Congrats!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:58:28 PM »
Hey Corwyn,

From the looks of it, you are doing GREAT!  ;D

The nurse practitioner was right. What you want to watch out for is a trend.

I know people whose viral load also yo-yos for no apparent reason. One time they may be 15,000, the next time, 10,000, etc.

CD4s do the same thing, but even more so. The results can vary depending on whether you have been stressed, had a cold, went out on the town and partied till the sun came up, or even if the labs are drawn at different times of the day.

The things to keep an eye on are the percentage (yours is very good at 39 percent. It's the same as mine, the last time I had mine done), and an overall trend over a period of time.

A trend might be a consistent rise in the viral load coupled with a consistent drop in the CD4. Even if such a trend develops, don't start to panic. As you probably know, the standard these days in the States is to begin considering treatment when the CD4s drop below 350, and usually before they drop below 300.

I remember before I started meds my CD4s would jump up and then drop, often by hundreds of points. One test would be 900, the next 600, the one after that 700.

My viral load usually oscillated between 10,000 and 13,000.

So, as you see, you are still in great shape. Add to that your CD4s have risen, not fallen, and the fact they are in what is considered the normal range for uninfected people, and I would say you have nothing to fret about.

There is a nifty tool here that allows you to graph you labs. I plugged all of mine in after the fact, because this site didn't exist when I started having CD4s done. But it really does give you a great picture of what's happening over time.

I recommend it highly. It also will let you keep track of other things such as cholesterol (UGH)  liver profile info, etc.

Anyway, you're doing great young man. Keep up the good work!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:17:03 PM »
Hey Corwyn,

This is good news! I love to hear good news as it is nurturing to my soul. Keep up the good work man you are doing great!

There is a reason why you go to the coffee shop!

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline joyluckclub

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:57:30 PM »
Thank you all for the support.

Eldon,

You just hit upon something!  I did not realize that my socialization was so important to my well being!  I do tend to go to the coffee shop several times a week! 

It enables me to meet old friends, talk to people, and meet new people.  Its also a great place for me to study.  I guess it really is helping!
"Honey, be who you is"  Madea.........

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:12:47 AM »
Hey Corwyn,

In fact, socialization helps keeps us in balance.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 11:47:53 PM »
Hey Corwyn,

How is it at the coffee shop?

Make the BEST of each Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.